U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is San Francisco's relative stature in the US?
Top 5 99 63.06%
6-10 46 29.30%
11-15 7 4.46%
Outside the top 15 5 3.18%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 01:40 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,328,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Most people in other countries don't care about any city in the US, period. The one and only city in the US which has universal foreign interest is New York City. No others.

To call Chicago "Anytown, USA" is funny and just plain ignorant.
Most people in other countries don't care about New York City either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 01:48 PM

31,598 posts, read 53,157,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
100% true.

They dont 'care' really about any US city.

And thats not what this thread is about anyway.

Its about influence and whether they care or not, the Bay Area could inconvenience and/or thrust into information darkness, the lives of billions of people like instantly.

That sounds influential to me.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:58 PM

147 posts, read 112,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
That would never happen, and if it did, it would have no such effect. It's basically like saying if Bank of America shut down then no one could get a home loan.

Options and futures trading are all online now, and if a major options provider shut down, then its competitors would buy the remnants and absorb the market share. When Lehman Brothers shut down in 2008, Barclays bought the business and basically everything formerly Lehman continued as-is, under the Barclays umbrella.

You have already proven that you don't know much about the world economy. I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation. The markets in Chicago are one of the largest in the world. If the Chicago commodities market goes under then the entire world's markets crash. I have provided at least two sources but you have yet to list a single source proving your claim that nothing would happen if Chicago exchanges crashed.

The 25 Most Economically Powerful Cities in the World - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

Old 04-25-2014, 01:59 PM

2,112 posts, read 5,131,866 times
I sat on a plane on the way to Paris recently with someone leaving NYC after a half year there. We're facebook friends and she loves NYC like we as Americans love Paris (she was very sad to leave...now she's back in the states). Conversely, I have another friend in France who is always looking for excuses to come to the states. He likes NYC *a lot*, and has repeatedly asked me to get him a summer associate position here in SF. Just two anecdotal cases, but I think a lot of people around the world view the US as a land of opportunity, and within the US there are definitely only a few cities they care about, or even hear or learn about and potentially visit.

2012 foreign visitation

NYC - 11,618,000
Las Vegas - 6,298,000
Miami - 5,987,000
Los Angeles - 5,017,000
Orlando - 4,067,000
San Francisco - 3,210,000
Honolulu - 2,004,000
Washington DC - 1,741,000

Canadian Cities:

Toronto - 2,819,000
Vancouver - 1,912,000

Mexican Cities:

Mexico City - 3,127,000

No other US city made the World 100 list.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:51 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,124,627 times
Quote:
True, but if there is 1, it's New York.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:57 PM

409 posts, read 437,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prarie State View Post
You have already proven that you don't know much about the world economy.
LOL, you're trying to tell me about what I don't know about the world economy?

You were the one that made the crazy claim that all the farms in the world would shut down if an online futures exchange went bankrupt. Maybe you shouldn't have skipped Econ 101 back in college.

And why are there any farms in the first place? They should have all gone under in 1929, using your logic. Why are there banks? How can they still exist post-2008? Why is there tech? I thought it all crashed in 2000. Why are there still cars? They all went bankrupt in 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prarie State View Post
If the Chicago commodities market goes under then the entire world's markets crash. I have provided at least two sources but you have yet to list a single source proving your claim that nothing would happen if Chicago exchanges crashed.
No, you provided no such source, and you won't ever find such a source.

Please provide one such source that makes such an inane claim. Never in the history of the planet has the world ended when a company went bankrupt.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:11 PM

13,485 posts, read 4,425,152 times
I estimated the SF Bay Area was either #5 or #6 in influence, but gave it the benefit of the doubt as at least #5 in selecting the 1-5 category. Silicon Valley at its southern edge provides a strong business/technology influence. SF itself has finance and creative industries. Then there is the tourism factor. The SF Bay Area always rates high with people visiting and the nearby coastal region and winery regions help, too. The area has a strong pro sports scene and two teams exist for MLB and NFL fans like you find in NYC. (You don't have that with Dallas, Philadelphia, Houston and most other regions).Colleges are well known and offer a college sports scene and more importantly quality higher education: UC-Berkeley, Stanford, San Jose State, Santa Clara, USF and more. Plenty of restaurants, shopping, and entertainment in the region (as a "top five" area should have).

There are three good sized, quality airports in SF, Oakland. and San Jose. That makes things convenient for many residents and visitors to the area. I also think the micro-climates give it additional appeal as you can pick your weather preference. People in inland suburbs like Pleasanton, Livermore, and Walnut Creek will experience hotter summers while people in San Bruno, Pacifica and Daly City near the bay and the coast can have very cool summer weather. Cost of living is the big challenge these days.

Last edited by chessgeek; 04-25-2014 at 03:25 PM..

Old 04-25-2014, 03:35 PM

28 posts, read 31,486 times
Quote:

Quote:
'World’s Favourite Cities' revealed

The market-research organisation, Ipsos, has conducted the world's largest poll to find “The World’s Favourite City”. In February, over 18,000 citizens in 24 countries were asked to rate cities as places to do business in, to live in, and to visit.

New York beat London and Paris to the overall top spot.
Ben Page, chief executive of Ipsos, revealed the results of the poll at the Foreign Press Association in London. He said: “There are a handful of ‘superbrand’ cities. New York is the clear leader , but London and Paris, in joint second place, do very well indeed.”

'World

Old 04-25-2014, 03:46 PM

28 posts, read 31,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I sat on a plane on the way to Paris recently with someone leaving NYC after a half year there. We're facebook friends and she loves NYC like we as Americans love Paris (she was very sad to leave...now she's back in the states). Conversely, I have another friend in France who is always looking for excuses to come to the states. He likes NYC *a lot*, and has repeatedly asked me to get him a summer associate position here in SF. Just two anecdotal cases, but I think a lot of people around the world view the US as a land of opportunity, and within the US there are definitely only a few cities they care about, or even hear or learn about and potentially visit.

No other US city made the World 100 list.
Europeans are downright obsessed with NYC, I agree.

New York City the Most Photographed City on Earth

New York City is the most Instagrammed city in the world

Old 04-25-2014, 04:05 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,328,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex589 View Post
24 countries and 18k people is an extremely flimsy sample size for a planet of 7 billion people.

Most Americans couldn't care less about the comings and goings in NYC, much less the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or