Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 03:34 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Its not that I dont understand what you are saying Fusion, its that I just dont agree with it. This thread was asking about the most urban city in N. America. How a city arrives at that level of urbanity is really irrelevant to the discussion.

Plus its alot more interesting to widen the pool when having these discussions. In reality there are maybe a handful of cities that deserve to be in this particular discussion if we are focusing solely on the US and Canada. LA, Toronto, Chicago, Boston, Philly, SF, Montreal, DC? Opening up the rest of the continent is so much more interesting. Plus I don't know if you noticed but quite a few posters jumped all over this and included Mexico City immediately, so it shows it is definitely viewed as an integral part of N. America.
I'm not disagreeing that M.C is more urban and vibrant than Toronto. As a matter of fact, M.C and NYC each with 20 million people in the metro areas are far more comparable than Toronto and NYC. It was unfair to begin with.. It would be like saying is Chicago or S.F the second most urban city in N.A after NYC.. I think it would have taken the same path whereby those cities would be trounced in favour of M.C.. Objectively that should be the case, now would it be, I dunno.. I'd hope so... I should do a which is more urban and vibrant vs M.C or Chicago to see...

Anyway, If you read through all my posts in here, you'd also see that I agreed M.C is 2nd, I wouldn't vote for Toronto either in that case because I know better! If you look at the OP's opening post, he mentioned Chicago and not M.C btw so I think in his own mind, he was probably thinking along the lines of the U.S and Canada. Where are you SpicyMeatball?? were you including Mexico, Central American and the Caribbean... please clarify lol..

If you disagree with me that general Canadian cities are more similar to general American cities versus other cities in N.A with more latin influence than you're right, we'll have to agree to disagree there. I find it silly to compare the vibrancy and vibe of general latin cities in N.A with general American or Canadian cities.. Different beasts! Any vibrancy showdown would almost always go in favour of Latin influenced N.A cities, we know that with NYC as the exception - no shock there! Having said that, if it is therapeutic for people to engage in this than by all means, let it out lol... Toronto will be your matt if you need it to be, we're here to help...

Last edited by fusion2; 04-26-2014 at 03:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 03:46 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,351,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
what do you mean by urban? density? and in what? population? too many holes in the thread
Density hasn't been used as a metric for urbanity around here in quite some time.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:57 PM

3,847 posts, read 5,244,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If you disagree with me that general Canadian cities are more similar to general American cities versus other cities in N.A with more latin influence than you're right, we'll have to agree to disagree there. I find it silly to compare the vibrancy and vibe of general latin cities in N.A with general American or Canadian cities.. Different beasts! Any vibrancy showdown would almost always go in favour of Latin influenced N.A cities, we know that with NYC as the exception - no shock there! Having said that, if it is therapeutic for people to engage in this than by all means, let it out lol...
I didnt say I do not agree that US and Canadian cities are similar, because obviously they are. I was disagreeing with the assumption that because of that lack of cultural similarity, Central American and Caribbean cities should not be considered.

I agree that many Latin America cities have a vibe that few US and Canadian cities can compete with, but when it comes to being urban, I think that if you put together a Top 10 list there would be quite a few US and Canadian cities present. It is like the nightlife discussion, Latin American cities have an advantage obviously, but it doesnt mean cities like NOLA, Vegas and Miami Beach cant compete, because they can.

Also not all Latin American cities are blessed with this vibrancy and life, there are drastic contrasts within many countries. If you go to Panama, PC is vibrant and full of life, but then travel up to Colón and you see a much different story. So I personally feel no way putting some of the US and Canada's best against those in Latin America, I think you would be surprised as to how well some of them measure up. Eliminating them from the discussion though, is basically watering down the pool and grading certain cities on a curve. I dont know about you, but that is just boring.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Eliminating them from the discussion though, is basically watering down the pool and grading certain cities on a curve. I dont know about you, but that is just boring.
Is it watering down the pool or is that the pool becomes too big for any meaningful comparison...

Old 04-26-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Is it watering down the pool or is that the pool becomes too big for any meaningful comparison...
You're a smart guy Fusion, I am sure your brain can handle opening up a half dozen additional cities for consideration.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
You're a smart guy Fusion, I am sure your brain can handle opening up a half dozen additional cities for consideration.
While I do find the comparisons fascinating, I don't find them inherently logical. Its like comparing the urbanity of Toronto to Rome.. or the vibrancy of Lagos to Tokyo. The comparisons just don't jive on so many levels to me. I can open my mind up to it, I just don't know what I will truly gain from it that will be revealing to me other than confirming what I already know. For anyone with an once of objectivity they would conclude that NYC and Mexico City are the most urban cities in N.A.. far from being shocking... everyone else is just competing for 3rd, 4th, 5th etc.. seriously S.F or Chicago more urban than Mexico City - are there people who actually believe that in here? BTW, why haven't you trounced on the conclusion that NYC is more urban than M.C... is that a fait du compli?

What I did learn through my own research is that Toronto has more Millionaires than M.C though M.C has more Multimillionaires and that Toronto has more millionaires than any other city in the U.S and Canada other than NYC and L.A.. I found that revealing lol..

Last edited by fusion2; 04-26-2014 at 04:44 PM..

Old 04-26-2014, 04:16 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
Mexico City? San Francisco? Chicago?

Old 04-26-2014, 04:33 PM

147 posts, read 146,466 times
I think Toronto and Chicago are equals and that is a compliment to both. I love both cities.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prarie State View Post
I think Toronto and Chicago are equals and that is a compliment to both. I love both cities.
Haven't you heard? Toronto and Chicago have been voted out of this dance and are out of the discussion now.. This is about Mexico City and NYC.... Truly shocking

Old 04-26-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
While I do find the comparisons fascinating, I don't find them inherently logical. Its like comparing the urbanity of Toronto to Rome.. or the vibrancy of Lagos to Tokyo. The comparisons just don't jive on so many levels to me. I can open my mind up to it, I just don't know what I will truly gain from it that will be revealing to me other than confirming what I already know. For anyone with an once of objectivity they would conclude that NYC and Mexico City are the most urban cities in N.A.. far from being shocking... everyone else is just competing for 3rd, 4th, 5th etc.. seriously S.F or Chicago more urban than Mexico City - are there people who actually believe that in here? BTW, why haven't you trounced on the conclusion that NYC is more urban than M.C... is that a fait du compli?
I think its more of a case of people becoming a little annoyed that it seems like no one ever considers cities outside of the US and Canada when speaking about N. America. It should be assumed that this is NYC/DF and no one else. But I guess I was hoping that it would sprout a further discussion about 3rd and beyond while including other cities in the entire continent. Actually I think I will start another thread asking that exact question, lol.

For the record there is a separate thread comparing NYC and DF and I commented there.

Quote:
What I did learn through my own research is that Toronto has more Millionaires than M.C though M.C has more Multimillionaires and that Toronto has more millionaires than any other city in the U.S and Canada other than NYC and L.A.. I found that revealing lol..
You should have assumed that man. Toronto is now the 3rd largest city in the US and Canada. On top of that it is the undisputed economic center of the country with no close rival. Why wouldnt all the millionaires cluster there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City