U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 12:06 PM

3,385 posts, read 3,789,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah it does seem inherently sinful to leave out Havana, DC and Montreal in any list that speaks to urbanity!!... How about (don't know as much about San Juan and Kingston as I'd like mind you).. you could always just do a top 15 and call it a day
I think this shows how many heavyweights are actually in play when including the entire continent. Really makes for some tough decisions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 01:00 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,754,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Sorry but Panama City especiallly blows away Vancouver and Miami when it comes to vibrancy. Miami is vibrant at night somewhat on an equal level as PC, but PC is on another level than Vancouver.
Fair enough. How do they compare in terms of "built environment and density"?

And I'm sticking to my "Monterrey v Boston" schtick too. (Still face-palming about that one..)

Old 04-28-2014, 12:57 AM

2,100 posts, read 2,766,829 times
(not in any order)
1. Los Angeles
2. Toronto
3. Washington DC
4. Chicago
5. Miami
6. Philadelphia
7. San Francisco
8. Montreal
9. Houston
10. Dallas

Old 04-28-2014, 01:02 AM

437 posts, read 470,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
(not in any order)
1. Los Angeles
2. Toronto
3. Havana
4. Chicago
5. Santo Domingo
6. Philadelphia
7. San Francisco
8. Montreal
9. Guadalajara
10. Dallas
Looks better now

Old 04-28-2014, 03:28 PM
rah

3,315 posts, read 7,903,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
(not in any order)
1. Los Angeles
2. Toronto
3. Washington DC
4. Chicago
5. Miami
6. Philadelphia
7. San Francisco
8. Montreal
9. Houston
10. Dallas
Miami more urban than SF?

I could argue against DC and Philly being above SF too (especially DC), but at least there's a real debate there.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:30 PM

8,386 posts, read 9,981,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Miami more urban than SF?

I could argue against DC and Philly being above SF too (especially DC), but at least there's a real debate there.
His list clearly stated "not in any order" but I will say putting Houston and Dallas on the list is very laughable.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
His list clearly stated "not in any order" but I will say putting Houston and Dallas on the list is very laughable.
I intentionally left Dallas in post 14 to mess with a couple Houston posters

Old 04-28-2014, 03:56 PM

6,484 posts, read 7,749,801 times
Don't know what order but would imagine these would be the tops in North America when taking Mexico City and New York out of the picture. I'm doing by the configuration of urban area / metropolis rather than just the city proper.

Guatemala City (Gautemala), San Jose (Costa Rica), Panama City (Panama), Havana (Cuba), Montreal (Quebec, Canada), San Francisco (United States), Chicago (United States), Los Angeles (United States),Toronto (Canada), Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic), Puebla (Mexico), Managua (Nicaragua), San Salvador (El Salvador), Santiago (Dominican Republic), Leon (Mexico), San Juan (Puerto Rico).

I don't discriminate between first world, developing world, or third world environments when the question is straight forward "what is the most urban cities in North America when excluding New York and Mexico City".

Old 04-28-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Don't know what order but would imagine these would be the tops in North America when taking Mexico City and New York out of the picture. I'm doing by the configuration of urban area / metropolis rather than just the city proper.

Guatemala City (Gautemala), San Jose (Costa Rica), Panama City (Panama), Havana (Cuba), Montreal (Quebec, Canada), San Francisco (United States), Chicago (United States), Los Angeles (United States),Toronto (Canada), Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic), Puebla (Mexico), Managua (Nicaragua), San Salvador (El Salvador), Santiago (Dominican Republic), Leon (Mexico), San Juan (Puerto Rico).

I don't discriminate between first world, developing world, or third world environments when the question is straight forward "what is the most urban cities in North America when excluding New York and Mexico City".
Good list, however I can't help but to think Philly deserves a spot in there.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:48 PM

1,590 posts, read 3,459,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post

I'd use this list instead of the metropolitan area one you referenced. Metro areas often include lots of undeveloped land, and in a quirk of statistics Canada, contiguous metro areas (such as in the Greater Toronto area) are listed as separate from one another instead of being joined together as they are in the list of urban agglomerations.

It also includes a handy side list of all the city's 1950 populations to give one an idea of how much development is of the pre-war variety.

Last edited by Atticman; 04-28-2014 at 05:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or