Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 03:02 PM

430 posts, read 1,645,386 times

Advertisements

Which is better place to live over all for a young professional?

Money being no option, for 20-30 years old

I really like Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach, but Miami Beach seems more Energy.

In Fact both are really for my age range and young professionals,

Both are really great places, I cant decide. Help me out.

Tell me pro's and cons to each of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 03:27 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,747,040 times
Miami is definitely more high-energy than Manhattan Beach or Hermosa. Both areas have plenty of young professionals, and there is a whole South Bay young professional/singles scene... but... it pales in comparison to the scene in Miami.

Miami Beach has a much more active nightlife - Manhattan's nightlife strip is really small, and while Hermosa's is bigger... Miami's is like thirty times bigger. There are towers there... you don't get that in Hermosa.

That said: Miami beach is mega, mega touristy. Hermosa has a good mix of tourists and locals. Manhattan isn't very touristy, since most tourists just stick to Santa Monica or Venice a few miles up the coast, where all the hotels are. The South Bay is surprisingly conservative for being in the LA area, though it's that more Reagan-Conservative mentality... like, people could care less who's gay, how many people of color are in their neighborhood... but the Tea Party would have a much easier time attracting a 30-year old businessman who bought a condo on the sand in Manhattan Beach so he could surf in the morning who's afraid of rising property taxes than a couple gay Cubano club kids in Miami who just wanna party!

If you want an active club/party scene where you can meet people from all over the world, Miami is your spot. If you want a more mellow atmosphere and to try your hand at surfing, then I'd pick the South Bay. Personally, between these areas... I'd take Miami Beachover the South Bay, though I like LA more than Miami.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:32 PM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
To Visit: Definitely Miami Beach

To Live: Definitely Manhattan Beach

Old 07-15-2011, 03:35 PM

12,000 posts, read 12,842,421 times
I've heard Manhattan Beach is pretty affordable. Is this in general or just relative to the LA area?

Old 07-16-2011, 10:56 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,000,674 times
I chose Miami Beach. I don't like cold water and I don't like cold weather.
The West (Bay) side of South Beach is locals while the beachfront is full of tourists and hotels.
The diversity in Miami is completely different than the diversity in greater Los Angeles. My suggestion is to visit both, meet some locals your age and ask them about their lives.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:59 AM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I've heard Manhattan Beach is pretty affordable. Is this in general or just relative to the LA area?
Er, Manhattan Beach is expensive relative to any Metro Area's average.

According to trulia.com:
The median home price in Manhattan Beach, CA is $2.150 Million

The median home price in Miami Beach, FL is $1.236 Million

Old 07-17-2011, 03:37 PM

590 posts, read 1,243,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I chose Miami Beach. I don't like cold water and I don't like cold weather.
The West (Bay) side of South Beach is locals while the beachfront is full of tourists and hotels.
The diversity in Miami is completely different than the diversity in greater Los Angeles. My suggestion is to visit both, meet some locals your age and ask them about their lives.

I will agree that the Pacific is colderthan the Atlantic oceans,,,but "cold weather" in Calif?? not in my lifetime

plus Florida has the worst humidity..which Calif does not..

Old 11-11-2012, 09:19 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,144,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
I will agree that the Pacific is colderthan the Atlantic oceans,,,but "cold weather" in Calif?? not in my lifetime

plus Florida has the worst humidity..which Calif does not..
And even then a lot of places in the Pacific are warmer than the Atlantic. Anyway, I would say Miami. I hate the neo-con atmosphere of SoCal though LA tends to lean towards the left, but still...the beaches are just better in Miami, as is the weather most of the time. LA is more scenic though, with the hills and mountains and everything. Both are equal in palm trees. LA has taller ones, Miami has more variety that cannot grow in LA. I agree that humidity can be annoying sometimes, but California is just too dry, so I'd take the thunderstorms of Florida. California can also be a bit cool and foggy sometimes, and the sea breezes make it that much worse, but summer and fall you don't get those problems.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:03 AM

15 posts, read 21,413 times
i lived in redondo beach and i miss the weater, the thing about the southbay is its a bit off hte beaten path from the main freeways from los angeles. I grew up in Burbank,CA and usually went to Ventura county beaches, i honestly didnt know much about the manhattan/hermosa area except i had to take the 110 really really far down but when i ended up moving there i loved it. You wont find any comparason in terms of weather and climate, i have never sweated ever when i was in redondo. the winters are mild and all i needed was a wind breaker in the early am. the summers never really get above 85ish. One thing is for sure, your money will go father in FL since they have no income tax and other tax free things that most californians would never even fathom.
My only knowlege of Miami and area is what I, and most non floridians, have seen on TV, which im sure is blown out of proportion, and heard from friends/accuatinces that are from the Fl area and they only talk about the negatives: Crime, horrible drivers, hummidity, and hurricanes.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:18 AM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpazi View Post
My only knowlege of Miami and area is what I, and most non floridians, have seen on TV, which im sure is blown out of proportion, and heard from friends/accuatinces that are from the Fl area and they only talk about the negatives: Crime, horrible drivers, hummidity, and hurricanes.
Crime is everywhere and worse in other areas, it's humid in much of the SE/Eastern US, horrible drivers can be found anywhere and hurricanes???? In the past 50 years 6 hurricanes made landfall in the Miami/South Florida area with none in the past nine years. Southern California has had how many earthquakes, mudslides and wildfires in the past nine years? Too many to count..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City