Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 02:20 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,479,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIb View Post
Hard to decide. Still looking for more information. Honestly I prefer Denver slightly but it's just too hard to say no to Seattle.

So far my feeling is
Seattle is more expensive with more traffic.
Denver has extreme weather in both summer and winter.

I don't want to settle in a place where I have to suffer from traffic 2 hours a day and pay twice the amount for a similar home.
I am also not sure about Denver's dry hot summer and unpredictable winter. It'll be good if people could share more about their feelings about Denver's weather.
It looks like you have the information that you need.

Your summation is basically correct. Denver has warmer weather, but it also has more of a "4 season" feel to it. My understanding from people who live there is that the people are friendly.

Seattle's traffic is as bad as advertised, and probably getting worse before it gets better (geographic constraints + lack of solid public transit infrastructure = traffic). It's also expensive in Seattle. Still, it's a gorgeous place, very safe, and even the weather isn't so bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 09:00 AM

16 posts, read 51,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Why haven't you considered Phoenix? Seems like the most logical choice if you want mild-to-warm winter weather.

FWIW, there are lots and lots of well-adjusted MN people living in the Phoenix area with no intentions of returning.
Thanks for the recommendation but is Phoenix really mild to warm? From the temperature chart it looks to me like hot to very hot...

Old 06-27-2014, 01:07 PM

157 posts, read 296,590 times
I think it's a little interesting the three choices of cities....

all three of them experiences winter in a good way..
especially Denver of course one of the snowiest cities in the World in the Winter,..
Portland, Oregon is somewhat mild but still experiences a very cool rainy damp winter and sometimes with winter storms that leave very heavy rains with mudslides nearby, and does experience snow occasionally.
Charlotte also sees snow occasionally and not only that but also experiences big ice storms that leads to power outages and these Ice Storms in North Carolina are sometimes severe....
But good thing is that Charlotte and Portland both are not as terribly cold just sees winter fronts that bring winter precipitation..
For a real good escape from the winter it would be truly Southern California cities and Florida cities.
Even Texas at times experiences cold snaps as far south as Southern Texas ...
But not as much tho so even Austin, San Antonio and Houston would be considered fairly good choices with at times occasional winter weather not as much as North Texas like Dallas tho..
But going back to the question.. the best choice would be Charlotte if you are trying to save a little bit of extra cash or Portland where it's a little more mild but a little costly but a nice city overall.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 656 times
I've lived in the twin cities most of my life and winters are very hard on me. I get the "S.A.D." every year. I never step foot ourdoors from late October to mid/late April outside of house/store/etc to my car. that's it. by the end of March I feel really depressed/ suicidal. Feels like life is wasted living in the twin cities. I hate it. I lived in Phoenix for about 5 years and really like it but my family guilted me into moving back. I'm pretty spineless. I've been back 10 years but not sure my wife and kids could handle an AZ summer like I did. regardless, if you hate where you live, you gotta force yourself to leave. I'm looking to leave ASAP just not sure where to yet.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:01 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,248 times
"especially Denver of course one of the snowiest cities in the World in the Winter,.."

This COULD NOT be more false! We get 3-5 snowstorms a winter. Maybe once every 10 years, we will get a real big dump of one. But no, Denver is not one of the snowiest cities in the World!

Old 03-13-2019, 04:53 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briznash View Post
I've lived in the twin cities most of my life and winters are very hard on me. I get the "S.A.D." every year. I never step foot ourdoors from late October to mid/late April outside of house/store/etc to my car. that's it. by the end of March I feel really depressed/ suicidal. Feels like life is wasted living in the twin cities. I hate it. I lived in Phoenix for about 5 years and really like it but my family guilted me into moving back. I'm pretty spineless. I've been back 10 years but not sure my wife and kids could handle an AZ summer like I did. regardless, if you hate where you live, you gotta force yourself to leave. I'm looking to leave ASAP just not sure where to yet.
You need to stop being a mopey, suicidal crybaby and enjoy the winter. Try cross-country skiing, or snowshoeing, or hockey, or ice sailing, or ice skating. Go to one of the downhill ski areas nearby. Go on a walk around the lakes. Try ice fishing. Go snow tubing or sledding. Get a fatbike.

There's no reason to be inside from October to April...you're the one making matters worse to your own detriment.

Personally, I'd feel suicidal in Phoenix. I've been there a couple of times and it's just...the epitome of everything that's wrong with this country. So much waste and so little culture.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:25 PM

219 posts, read 172,508 times
Quote:
I would be doing exactly what you are doing, staying indoors from October until April. I get cold quickly and can not stand driving on ice and snow, way too dangerous IMO.
One last thing, it's not fun inhaling frozen air.

You need to get out of there asap!

Old 03-13-2019, 08:55 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,101,952 times
Quote:
I know so many people that let themselves get trapped. When it’s time to go it’s time to go.
I hated MSP, and I wasn’t willing to fake it to make the people around me happy. It’s not a bad area, it just wasn’t right for me.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:25 PM

7 posts, read 5,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
You need to stop being a mopey, suicidal crybaby and enjoy the winter. Try cross-country skiing, or snowshoeing, or hockey, or ice sailing, or ice skating. Go to one of the downhill ski areas nearby. Go on a walk around the lakes. Try ice fishing. Go snow tubing or sledding. Get a fatbike.

There's no reason to be inside from October to April...you're the one making matters worse to your own detriment.

Personally, I'd feel suicidal in Phoenix. I've been there a couple of times and it's just...the epitome of everything that's wrong with this country. So much waste and so little culture.
What an insensitive and arrogant comment.

Winter causes many people to be depressed, especially harsh winters like those in Minneapolis. Just because you do not understand the extent of how winter affects this person, does not give you a right to call them a "mopey, suicidal crybaby" and make assumptions that they haven't tried to enjoy the winter. Trying to go and do outdoor activities in the winter, for many people, will not help as the weather affects their mental and emotional state. I'm appalled at your comment. And I'm someone who enjoys winter and lives in a northern city.

Additionally, Phoenix offers a great quality of life for the type of person who is attracted to living in the desert, in addition to having culture that pre-exists the founding of America!

You sound like the people who say depression is just "being sad" or "feeling down". Awful.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:08 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,146 times
I'm in MInnesota too. For me, I am thinking either Philly or Raleigh/Durham, Nc. The quality of life in Minnesota is so great that it's hard to give up. But for all the good parks and stuff we have, what good is it if it's cold 5-6 months out the year? I wanna be warm where i can take my kids outside in February, March and April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City