Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area would be better for me?
Houston 20 47.62%
Tampa 22 52.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:08 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

(1) Which metropolitan area would YOU prefer to live in and why?

(2) Which metropolitan area do you think would be better for ME and why? Don't look at this as a list of must-have criteria, but rather a compilation of my preferences and then just recommend which one would be better.
  • I'm 29 years old, male, gay, italian and single.
  • I'm educated (master's degree), in the tax accounting field with over 6 years of corporate tax experience.
  • I'm a progressive atheist who tends to vote Democratic.
  • I would like to own a small house one day.
  • I don't like humidity.
  • I don't like southern accents, rednecks or conservatives.
  • I enjoy things like hiking and video games and don't care about the beach so much.
  • I would like to easily be able to access family in Hartford, CT.
  • I can't stand traffic, congestion and crowding.
  • I prefer a more homogenous, cohesive society.
  • I don't care about nightlife or partying.
  • I prefer driving a car over public transportation.
  • I generally prefer suburban lifestyle over urban.
  • I can't stand tourists.
  • I prefer slower paced lifestyle and HATE fast paced places with people that honk their car horns all the time.
  • I have family (grandparents, cousins) in the Tampa area and a few distant friends in the Houston area.

Last edited by nep321; 04-29-2014 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 11:15 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Neither would work for you then.

Sorry Charlie.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Neither would work for you then.

Sorry Charlie.
I said to pick one. It doesn't have to meet all the criteria. No place is perfect. But which one do you think would be better for me?

Old 04-29-2014, 12:08 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I said to pick one. It doesn't have to meet all the criteria. No place is perfect. But which one do you think would be better for me?
He's right. Neither of these cities seem to come close to your criteria.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:13 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Neither, but Tampa has an edge.

How did Houston end up as an option? Hit has most of the things you say you don't like.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Neither, but Tampa has an edge.

How did Houston end up as an option? Hit has most of the things you say you don't like.
I don't know...it seems like an interesting area to live. I've never been there though.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:06 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
Tampa pros--cheaper and easier to access your family in CT (lots of relatively inexpensive direct, nonstop flights from TPA to BDL), lots of Italian folks from Northeast & Great Lakes states; gay-friendlier metro area overall, IMO, esp. in the 'burbs compared to Houston outskirts/'burbs; close family nearby; more familiar culture (Tampa's more like the Northeast than Houston, although distinct); more bearable summers due to influence of Bay/Gulf (IMO); noticeably warmer winters; less conservative metro area overall; fewer Southern/country accents; less religious overall (not solidly Bible Belt like Houston); much better beaches; better access to more world-class destinations; greater number of unique/interesting places nearby; prettier scenery.

Tampa cons--very transient, salaries disproportional to COL, weak economy, lots of tourists, lots of angry/deviant/bizarre folks (Florida), weird crimes make the press every single day, lots of competition for few jobs, constantly raining from May-Oct, rude/unfriendly locals, more prolific sinkhole problem than Houston, pervasive ghetto mentality (although not as bad as Miami, Atlanta, or even Orlando), more tweakers, lots of trash-mouths/people with very low vocabulary, people don't want to be your friend/get to know you.

Houston pros--lower COL, higher salaries, stronger economy, better infrastructure network, cooler winters (better for some), less transient, more civic pride, more affordable housing, larger housing inventory, more international vibe, better shopping, friendly/easier-going people, more diverse.

Houston cons--more hazardous weather overall (tornadoes, hailstorms); more oppressive summers; colder winters with the potential for ice, although rare; dirty, undesirable beaches; less health-conscious/fatter population; fewer Italian people/Northeast transplants (I know that's important to you); very conservative and religious populace (lots of mega-churches); farther from CT, so fewer direct/nonstop flight options; more potholes; more toll roads; lots of "Bubba" types; more Southern/redneck than Tampa Bay overall; hodge-podge city layout; more rundown-looking than Tampa; horrid air quality; lots of litter/trash everywhere, esp. compared to FL; etc.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:22 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,039 times
I counted 6 points that both Tampa and Houston fail. And the ones that didn't fail weren't really "plusses" for either city. The only thing that's a plus for the two cities is "driving over public transit" and "suburbia".

Old 04-29-2014, 05:24 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Tampa pros--cheaper and easier to access your family in CT (lots of relatively inexpensive direct, nonstop flights from TPA to BDL), lots of Italian folks from Northeast & Great Lakes states; gay-friendlier metro area overall, IMO, esp. in the 'burbs compared to Houston outskirts/'burbs; close family nearby; more familiar culture (Tampa's more like the Northeast than Houston, although distinct); more bearable summers due to influence of Bay/Gulf (IMO); noticeably warmer winters; less conservative metro area overall; fewer Southern/country accents; less religious overall (not solidly Bible Belt like Houston); much better beaches; better access to more world-class destinations; greater number of unique/interesting places nearby; prettier scenery.

Tampa cons--very transient, salaries disproportional to COL, weak economy, lots of tourists, lots of angry/deviant/bizarre folks (Florida), weird crimes make the press every single day, lots of competition for few jobs, constantly raining from May-Oct, rude/unfriendly locals, more prolific sinkhole problem than Houston, pervasive ghetto mentality (although not as bad as Miami, Atlanta, or even Orlando), more tweakers, lots of trash-mouths/people with very low vocabulary, people don't want to be your friend/get to know you.

Houston pros--lower COL, higher salaries, stronger economy, better infrastructure network, cooler winters (better for some), less transient, more civic pride, more affordable housing, larger housing inventory, more international vibe, better shopping, friendly/easier-going people, more diverse.

Houston cons--more hazardous weather overall (tornadoes, hailstorms); more oppressive summers; colder winters with the potential for ice, although rare; dirty, undesirable beaches; less health-conscious/fatter population; fewer Italian people/Northeast transplants (I know that's important to you); very conservative and religious populace (lots of mega-churches); farther from CT, so fewer direct/nonstop flight options; more potholes; more toll roads; lots of "Bubba" types; more Southern/redneck than Tampa Bay overall; hodge-podge city layout; more rundown-looking than Tampa; horrid air quality; lots of litter/trash everywhere, esp. compared to FL; etc.
You do realize that a lot of what you say is a huge exaggeration right? What the h3ll is a "Bubba" type? Ghetto mentality?

Old 04-29-2014, 05:26 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
You do realize that a lot of what you say is a huge exaggeration right? What the h3ll is a "Bubba" type? Ghetto mentality?
Low vocabulary, case in point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City