U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 12:21 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,979,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
So the ranking is apparently a collaboration between AT Kearny and the Chicago Council on Global Affairs

www.atkearney.com/.../efd4176a-09dd-4...

C'mon. Really?

Its more of a pr scam if you ask me.
What the hell do you have against Chicago? It's not even ranked 1st or 2nd amongst US cities - NYC and LA are ranked ahead of it. DC, Boston, and Toronto are all ranked ahead of San Francisco too. You're seriously a piece of work.

You basically picked out a city to ***** about and roll with it. Talk about annoying.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:21 PM

31,598 posts, read 53,217,657 times
Well if you worked for the Chicago Council on Global Affairs youd know because this is their ranking.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Well if you worked for the Chicago Council on Global Affairs youd know because this is their ranking.
Actually, the council has nothing to do with Chicago itself other than that it was founded and is based in Chicago. That would be like saying the New York Stock Exchange only has to do with NYC.

The head of this council (Ivo Daalder) doesn't even have anything to do with the city. He's part of NATO and has never even lived or studied in the city.

Quote:
The council provides its members, policymakers, and the general public with a forum for the consideration of international issues and their bearing on American public policy. It organizes more than 150 meetings each year, including lectures, seminars, conferences, and a travel program, and hosts policymakers and foreign experts from around the world.
Quote:
The Chicago Council on Global Affairs was founded as the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations on February 20, 1922. At its inception, the council included 23 members with the purpose of opposing what they viewed as U.S. isolationism during the first World War. Ivo Daalder has served as President of the Chicago Council on Global Affairs since July, 2013.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:24 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,021,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Hmmmm, that's interesting. Missed that - but I don't know why they'd be mentioning cities and then talking about their proximity to surrounding areas. Weird
My guess would be because the majority of metro areas--or at least the American ones--are anchored by one major city alone.

Dallas and San Francisco get to be the unicorns of the list with there being more than one major city in each metro.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:30 PM

This is why I almost exclusively rely on stats and the mobility habits of upper income and highly educated folks and immigrants to determine where the momentum is.

These overhyped rankings are too easily tampered by personal bias and fluffy criteria.

Numbers are undebatable. Opinions dont matter.

See this, no arguing.
Foreign Born Residents, 2012
Bay Area CSA 2,453,000
Chicago CSA 1,695,000

Old 05-01-2014, 12:30 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,509,773 times
Quote:
Hmmmm, that's interesting. Missed that - but I don't know why they'd be mentioning cities and then talking about their proximity to surrounding areas. Weird

Weird how wrong you were the whole time regarding that!

SF sucks, it has dropped 10 spots since 2010. By 2016 it will probably only be on the emerging city list instead of with the big boys!

Old 05-01-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post

SF sucks, it has dropped 10 spots since 2010. By 2016 it will probably only be on the emerging city list instead of with the big boys!
Yeah for sure I was wrong regarding that - the US still has the biggest notion of suburbia compared to pretty much any other country (though there are other countries that have strong outlying areas such as ones in the UK, Australia, Canada, Malaysia, and Japan).

Well, I do think that SF should be at least top 15 - it's too low. I think its ranking will rise because of Silicon Valley, and the number of foreign people it continues to attract (and as a result, we'll probably see more consulates and such open there). Their freight overall will probably increase too as long as they continue to produce.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Numbers are undebatable. Opinions dont matter.

See this, no arguing.
Foreign Born Residents, 2012
Bay Area CSA 2,453,000
Chicago CSA 1,695,000
I am doubting that they're using CSA in this - most likely MSA. In any case yes, The bay area has more foreign born residents. That's one part of the overall 26 that they're using remember. The number of foreign born residents is not what the ranking is only measuring. Just how the number of diplomatic missions is not the only thing it's measuring.

Again, these are the things being measured and inputted into to get an index:
* Business Activity - Bloomberg 500, Top 40 Global, Capital Markets, Air Freight, Sea Freight, ICCA conferences
* Human Capital - Foreign born population, Top universities, population with tertiary degree, International student population, number of international schools
* Information Exchange - Access to TV news, News agency bureaus, Broadband subscribers, Freedom of expression, Online prescence
* Cultural Experience - Museums, visual and performing arts, Sporting events, International travelers, Culinary offering, Sister cities
* Political Engagement - Embassies and consulates, Think tanks, International organizations, Political conferences, Local institutions with global reach.

NOBODY in here is disagreeing that SF is rated too lowly and NOBODY in here is saying that SF is not important globally. That part is all in your head.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post

Yeah, we'll try to survive:

City Momentum Index Identifies the World

This didnt go unnoticed in Chicago btw.
Chicago a no-show at top of new City Momemtum Index - Chicago Business Journal

Old 05-01-2014, 12:37 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,021,341 times
Quote:
Yeah for sure I was wrong regarding that - the US still has the biggest notion of suburbia compared to pretty much any other country (though there are other countries that have strong outlying areas such as ones in the UK, Australia, Canada, Malaysia, and Japan).

Well, I do think that SF should be at least top 15 - it's too low. I think its ranking will rise because of Silicon Valley, and the number of foreign people it continues to attract (and as a result, we'll probably see more consulates and such open there). Their freight overall will probably increase too as long as they continue to produce.
For what it's worth, they probably were using MSAs instead of CSAs. Without the rest of the Bay Area, SF takes a hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City