U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2014, 06:43 PM
 
409 posts, read 440,179 times
Reputation: 260

Advertisements

SF is way too low, Philly should be included, and yeah, these "studies" tend to suck, generally.

 
Old 04-29-2014, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,277 posts, read 7,230,225 times
Reputation: 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
How is Philly ahead of Dallas, Atlanta, or Houston? If anything, they're equal. I would probably put Houston slightly ahead and Philly on par with Dallas and Atlanta. It's just not what it used to be.
In terms of international visitation, most recent figures (2011 and 2012) put Atlanta, Houston and Philly in the exact same tier (averaging the two years). All three cities receive a market share of approximately 2.1-2.2% of all US international visitors. Not too shabby when you consider that Philadelphia competes with two international market behemoths to its north and south (NYC And DC):

http://travel.trade.gov/outreachpage...and_cities.pdf

Additionally, in terms of immigration, the Philadelphia area is very in the same tier as Dallas and Atlanta (based on Census data between 2010-2013): Special Report: 2013 Metropolitan Area Population Estimates | Newgeography.com

Also, when you consider international migration compared to overall population growth, Philadelphia's growth is extremely disproportionately immigrant-based.
 
Old 04-29-2014, 09:47 PM
 
207 posts, read 268,204 times
Reputation: 199
virtually all of these lists compiled by prestigious and impartial groups say Boston is on a higher level than Philly, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Miami and in some cases SF, yet us homers on this board will argue citing highly suspect Wikipedia information that it is not true. At the end of the day, the people compiling the lists are not stupid and they don't share an agenda against any city. Boston is a prestigious, global city regardless of whether people on this board admit it or like it. Philly really isn't and SF is not as high up the ladder as many seem to believe.
 
Old 04-29-2014, 10:10 PM
 
409 posts, read 440,179 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
virtually all of these lists compiled by prestigious and impartial groups
Can you name one of these claimed "prestigious and impartial groups"? Certainly there's no evidence that the ranking under discussion is either "prestigious" or "impartial".

I also don't know what you're talking about re. Boston always being ranked above cities like SF.
 
Old 04-29-2014, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,400,901 times
Reputation: 10188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
In terms of international visitation, most recent figures (2011 and 2012) put Atlanta, Houston and Philly in the exact same tier (averaging the two years). All three cities receive a market share of approximately 2.1-2.2% of all US international visitors. Not too shabby when you consider that Philadelphia competes with two international market behemoths to its north and south (NYC And DC):

http://travel.trade.gov/outreachpage...and_cities.pdf

Additionally, in terms of immigration, the Philadelphia area is very in the same tier as Dallas and Atlanta (based on Census data between 2010-2013): Special Report: 2013 Metropolitan Area Population Estimates | Newgeography.com

Also, when you consider international migration compared to overall population growth, Philadelphia's growth is extremely disproportionately immigrant-based.
Something isn't right with regards to Dallas' international immigration numbers listed. Here were the numbers from the DHS from 2011:

2011: MSA/CSA International Immigration Stats

and from 2012:

2012: MSA/CSA International Immigration Stats

The numbers from 2010 weren't much different than that.

Dallas had a lot more international immigrants than Atlanta, Philly, or Seattle, and has a stronger economy and is drawing more people in. Yet, we lost 1/3 of what we gained??? Im not sure I buy that.

Also, in the international visitor numbers, they don't include Fort Worth. Thats ok, but just acknowledge that you're comparing a 4.5 million metro area to a 5.8 million and 6.5 million metro area.
 
Old 04-29-2014, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,598 posts, read 53,352,280 times
Reputation: 14517
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
Boston is a prestigious, global city
San Francisco is more so on just about every level.

Quote:
regardless of whether people on this board admit it or like it.
And whether you like it or not, most rankings dont place Boston above SF.

All the "Most Important Cities" Rankings Combined
 
Old 04-29-2014, 11:15 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,702 posts, read 11,415,072 times
Reputation: 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
San Francisco is more so on just about every level.


And whether you like it or not, most rankings dont place Boston above SF.

All the "Most Important Cities" Rankings Combined
Some of those lists are very outdated now.
 
Old 04-29-2014, 11:16 PM
 
1,462 posts, read 1,515,959 times
Reputation: 1019
Yeah but that only hurts SF as the area has prospered / diversified (economically) even more since some of those.
 
Old 04-29-2014, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,598 posts, read 53,352,280 times
Reputation: 14517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Some of those lists are very outdated now.
Correct.

Between 2010 and 2014 the Bay Area has become even more formidable.
 
Old 04-29-2014, 11:54 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,702 posts, read 11,415,072 times
Reputation: 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Correct.

Between 2010 and 2014 the Bay Area has become even more formidable.
I'm not denying that, just pointing out that the lists are outdated. I would like to see updated versions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top