U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:03 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,937,634 times

Advertisements

Which country was he an honorary consul for? Usually (usually) having one means that there are people from that nation that need to be represented. I agree that honorary consulates mean way less, but it still does mean something. There's consulates in places that you wouldn't believe and they aren't large cities or even close to it sometimes (such as 2 of them in Fargo, ND or one in Pinehurst, NC). They don't just stick these things anywhere. They stick them where enough people from that country actually live. There's a reason there's not a Yemeni consulate in NYC, Chicago, or LA and only in Detroit and San Francisco.

The list for official diplomatic missions goes like this:
1) DC - 176
2) NYC - 116
3) Los Angeles - 62
4) Chicago - 51
5) San Francisco - 41
6) Houston - 38
7) Miami - 35
8) Atlanta - 25
9) Boston - 24
10) New Orleans - 8
11) Detroit - 7
11) Honolulu - 7
11) Seattle - 7
14) Denver - 6
15) Philadelphia - 5

Gross Economic Product? Is that different than GDP? Because if they're the same thing - I disagree. There's more to what a metro area/city/whatever is about than just how much it produces economically.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:48 AM

31,582 posts, read 53,131,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Which country was he an honorary consul for? Usually (usually) having one means that there are people from that nation that need to be represented. I agree that honorary consulates mean way less, but it still does mean something. There's consulates in places that you wouldn't believe and they aren't large cities or even close to it sometimes (such as 2 of them in Fargo, ND or one in Pinehurst, NC). They don't just stick these things anywhere. They stick them where enough people from that country actually live. There's a reason there's not a Yemeni consulate in NYC, Chicago, or LA and only in Detroit and San Francisco.

The list for official diplomatic missions goes like this:
1) DC - 176
2) NYC - 116
3) Los Angeles - 62
4) Chicago - 51
5) San Francisco - 41
6) Houston - 38
7) Miami - 35
8) Atlanta - 25
9) Boston - 24
10) New Orleans - 8
11) Detroit - 7
11) Honolulu - 7
11) Seattle - 7
14) Denver - 6
15) Philadelphia - 5
We have lots of consulates and foreign trade offices located outside of the SF too.

Quote:
Gross Economic Product? Is that different than GDP? Because if they're the same thing - I disagree. There's more to what a metro area/city/whatever is about than just how much it produces economically.
Right, but in most factors that can actually be measured, the Bay Area does quite well vs Chicagoland even though we have 2 million less people.

Foreign Born Population, 2012
Bay Area CSA 2,289,000
Chicago CSA 1,695,000

Only NY and LA have more than the Bay Area.

Adding Stockton, which occurred in 2013, raises the Bay Area's foreign born population to 2,453,000 in 2012.

And what's most interesting to me is the current growth trends show the Bay Area, the most expensive area in the country(median home price $725,000 in March 2014) is also the fastest growing region in the state of CA and has one of the more robust growth rates among the 5 million +CSAs.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
We have lots of consulates and foreign trade offices located outside of the SF too.
Yes. As I've shown - SF has 41 official diplomatic missions which ranks 5th behind DC, NYC, LA, and Chicago. It has 70 total ones counting honorary consulates, which ranks 6th behind DC, NYC, LA, Chicago, and Houston. SF has 3 trade offices (Hong Kong, Denmark, and Taiwan) which ranks 3rd behind DC and NYC. Los Angeles, Honolulu, and Chicago are behind it with 2 each.

Quote:
Right, but in most factors that can actually be measured, the Bay Area does quite well vs Chicagoland even though we have 2 million less people.
Of course it can be measured, but that doesn't mean it's the only thing that should be taken into account when trying to measure how globally integrated a city is. For this, information sharing and information production (of the useful kind) is also important. Some city could be the home where some research was done - it's not necessarily producing anything economically but it's still producing something, and possibly something that has an impact on part of the world. Also how research is connected to other places, ideas, and conferences wherever in the world.

Eurostat has actually made an attempt to measure these things, but I don't think the US has tried terribly hard. It's hard to measure because there's so many things to measure.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Yes. As I've shown - SF has 41 official diplomatic missions which ranks 5th behind DC, NYC, LA, and Chicago. It has 70 total ones counting honorary consulates, which ranks 6th behind DC, NYC, LA, Chicago, and Houston. SF has 3 trade offices (Hong Kong, Denmark, and Taiwan) which ranks 3rd behind DC and NYC. Los Angeles, Honolulu, and Chicago are behind it with 2 each.
No, I mean other cities and towns in the Bay Area have foreign consulates as well, not just within the city of SF.

And as far as trade offices, Ive been to several receptions and open houses by way more than just 3 countries that have such a presence here.

foreign consulates in silicon valley - Google Search

Quote:
Of course it can be measured, but that doesn't mean it's the only thing that should be taken into account when trying to measure how globally integrated a city is. For this, information sharing and information production (of the useful kind) is also important. Some city could be the home where some research was done - it's not necessarily producing anything economically but it's still producing something, and possibly something that has an impact on part of the world. Also how research is connected to other places, ideas, and conferences wherever in the world.

Eurostat has actually made an attempt to measure these things, but I don't think the US has tried terribly hard. It's hard to measure because there's so many things to measure.
What the?

Okay so we have a far higher number and proportion of immigrants.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
No, I mean other cities and towns in the Bay Area have foreign consulates as well, not just within the city of SF.

And as far as trade offices, Ive been to several receptions and open houses by way more than just 3 countries that have such a presence here.

foreign consulates in silicon valley - Google Search
I'm using this resource. Your Google search doesn't come up with a concrete list like this:
United States - Embassies and Consulates

Quote:
What the?

Okay so we have a far higher number and proportion of immigrants.
I don't know how you arrived at talking about number of immigrants. I was talking about research production and consumption and why economic output is not the only thing that should be taken into account. You don't have to make money with something to produce something useful to society.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I'm using this resource. Your Google search doesn't come up with a concrete list like this:
United States - Embassies and Consulates
Well concrete or not, Ive been to functions hosted by local trade offices for many countries your link omits so I think the concrete might not be dry in your link.

For example, I've gotten a few emails about attending this:
Austrian Innovation Center - Silicon Valley Meets Austria!

Quote:
I don't know how you arrived at talking about number of immigrants. I was talking about research production and consumption and why economic output is not the only thing that should be taken into account. You don't have to make money with something to produce something useful to society.
Well, you brought up foreign consulates, so why not talk about foreign born people?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Well, you brought up foreign consulates, so why not talk about foreign born people?
I think you're forgetting that this list is a world list, not just US. Therefore, the idea of Metro Area is not only not the same in numerous countries around the world than it is in the US, but many cities don't even have a metro area (Istanbul is one that personally and immediately comes to mind). Some do and some literally have only a few towns around it and nothing else. Nothing in the report stated "metro area" or "urban area" as far as I can remember. it was talking about city propers.

In that case - what is the foreign born population for various US cities (not MSA or CSA) as a percentage? I also wish that there was a metric for being born in the US but having at least one parent from another country. In the end - many different factors for this index. Obviously SF has a higher percentage of foreign born but in the end, it's just one factor of multiple. No one city in the world is perfect (if you actually read the study, you'll see their perfect city and no one city in the world is good for every single one of their categories).

Last edited by marothisu; 05-01-2014 at 10:28 AM..

Old 05-01-2014, 10:28 AM

A simple Google News search of current stories shows how relevant to the entire world the Bay Area is nowadays.

Just from today's news feed:
Mercedes-Benz Silicon Valley teams with Tesla on electric B-class, eyes machine learning tech - Albany Business Review

Why Silicon Valley has a stake in India’s elections – Quartz

Ukraine Wants to Become the Silicon Valley of Europe - NationalJournal.com

Startups from Louisville, Lexington are heading to Silicon Valley - Business First

Chinese firm sets up $100M VC fund in Silicon Valley | ZDNet

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/04/28..._r=0&referrer=

Old 05-01-2014, 10:30 AM

Who the hell ever said that San Francisco isn't relevent to the world? You seem to have a problem understanding what this index is actually rating. It's also about the city level, not MSA or CSA. This is a world index, not a US index. Some world cities ranked don't even have many people living outside of their city within close proximity. Why would this index compare unlike things? They're comparing the cities themselves, not city + surrounding cities.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Who the hell ever said that San Francisco isn't relevent to the world? You seem to have a problem understanding what this index is actually rating. It's also about the city level, not MSA or CSA. This is a world index, not a US index.
Well that's flaw number 1.

Any ranking that is based on city only is worthless( and most rankings of this nature are NOT by city only) because most Americans dont live in major cities, they live in the suburbs that surround them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City