Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 02:16 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Interesting.

Half in Illinois and Connecticut Want to Move Elsewhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 02:42 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,897 times
I'm honestly not surprised by Illinois. It has brutal winters, a high cost of living in the Chicago area (where most of the state's population lives), and one of the worst economies in the nation. Illinois is a wonderful place to live for those who are in nice parts of Chicago or other towns like Champaign, Lake Forest, etc. and have a solid job, but sadly a lot of the population doesn't fall into that category.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:50 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
I'm not surprised by Illinois either. What I am surprised about is that booming Sunbelt states like AZ, NV, and GA all have above average percentages of people wanting to leave. Not sure if it's a "grass is greener" type thing where people move there and then decide it isn't their cup of tea, or natives who want to leave because they are sick of all the transplants moving in.

I'm a little bit surprised about CT only because I'm fairly sure it's the richest state in the country. Perhaps money indeed cannot buy happiness? At least in CT?

Old 04-30-2014, 03:02 PM

Although deeper look at these data tells me more about Americans in general than about the states. If you notice, Illinois was the highest at 50% wanting to move, but Montana, the lowest, still showed 23% wanting to move. Which means across the entire country, at least 1 in 4 people are dissatisfied with where they are living, and most likely it's more like 1/3 or more.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:19 PM

317 posts, read 378,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I'm a little bit surprised about CT only because I'm fairly sure it's the richest state in the country. Perhaps money indeed cannot buy happiness? At least in CT?
Yes, I am sure rich people spend their time doing random meaningless polls all the time. I'm sure everybody in the richest state all of the United States is just dying to move to the happiest state of the poll, Montana... Seriously some people read too much into these pointless things. On a second note I am surprised there was no mention of #teamwest and how they all wish they could move to the all desirable Oakland anywhere in the opening post..

Old 04-30-2014, 04:08 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
So basically at least 1 in 4 Americans wants to move out of the state in which they currently reside? It's interesting to see the breakdown regarding why people plan to leave a particular state. For example, in IL (and most other states) it's chiefly business/work-related whereas in NY it's cheaply COL-related. It's also interesting how there's only a 12% difference in the highest state with people most likely to move withing the next 12 months (Nevada) and the state with the lowest likelihood (Maine).

Old 04-30-2014, 07:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I'm not surprised by Illinois either. What I am surprised about is that booming Sunbelt states like AZ, NV, and GA all have above average percentages of people wanting to leave. Not sure if it's a "grass is greener" type thing where people move there and then decide it isn't their cup of tea, or natives who want to leave because they are sick of all the transplants moving in.

It's not. By median household income, at least, it's third - behind Maryland and New Jersey, which are first and second, respectively.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:12 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I'm honestly not surprised by Illinois. It has brutal winters, a high cost of living in the Chicago area (where most of the state's population lives), and one of the worst economies in the nation. Illinois is a wonderful place to live for those who are in nice parts of Chicago or other towns like Champaign, Lake Forest, etc. and have a solid job, but sadly a lot of the population doesn't fall into that category.
Very True. I plan on going soon, this state has nothing for me anymore.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
Yes, I am sure rich people spend their time doing random meaningless polls all the time. I'm sure everybody in the richest state all of the United States is just dying to move to the happiest state of the poll, Montana... Seriously some people read too much into these pointless things. On a second note I am surprised there was no mention of #teamwest and how they all wish they could move to the all desirable Oakland anywhere in the opening post..
I was being a little tongue-in-cheek (though I still would say money doesn't buy happiness). And you're right, people in CT don't all want to move to Montana. But apparently a lot of them, along with a large percentage of the US population across all the states, want to move somewhere. If you want to poke holes at the methodology of the study be my guest, I'm not making any assertions of my own. Just giving my impressions taking the study at face value.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It's not. By median household income, at least, it's third - behind Maryland and New Jersey, which are first and second, respectively.
I was trying to remember why I thought that. It was the wikipedia article on Connecticut - says it is highest in per capita income at the end of the intro. But I do agree about hh income.

Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of U.S. states by income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City