U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the Most Authentically Texan City?
Houston 6 4.51%
San Antonio 23 17.29%
Dallas 19 14.29%
Austin 8 6.02%
Fort Worth 37 27.82%
El Paso 10 7.52%
Arlington 1 0.75%
Corpus Christi 0 0%
Plano 24 18.05%
Laredo 0 0%
Other 5 3.76%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 07:28 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,476,600 times

Advertisements

How the hell does Plano have that many votes? Its between san antonio and fort worth from the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 08:47 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,352,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
How the hell does Plano have that many votes? Its between san antonio and fort worth from the list.
Plano and Sugar Land are probably the least Texan cities in the state.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:13 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,102,454 times
I'd vote Fort Worth or Austin. I have spent a lot of time in both and both encapsulate "Texas" very effectively. Both have a kind of personality that screams "Texas". Both are proudly and defiantly their own places--a glimpse of Texas that is mostly lost in places like Houston and Dallas.

I'd also nominate San Antonio. It has a lot of Texas and Mexican charm, for sure. I once had an advertising client in San Antonio who was leery of her company's San Antonio roots in marketing state-wide. I sold a campaign to her with this pitch: I said, "don't worry about having your roots in San Antonio. Every Texan has two homes--where he comes from, and San Antonio. We'll make that clear for those who don't already get it."

Yeah, I got the business.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:04 AM
JJG

12,979 posts, read 18,471,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesforme View Post
I associate Texas with Dallas and maybe Austin. Look into the others;

Houston: Famous for “Houston, we have a problem”. The only problem with Houston is that most people think that Houston is in Florida and is the name of the city where Kennedy Space Center is located.

San Antonio: Most young people would think that San Antonio is a GTA-title and old people would think that San Antonio is a city in Mexico or Southern California.

El Paso: I think of the brand “Old El Paso” and Mexico. I think most people associate El Paso with those two rather than El Paso, Texas.

Corpus Christi: A scary name but do most people associate it with Texas? I do not think so.

Fort Worth: Could be a city anywhere in United States and so do people think.

Laredo: The name sounds so Spanish that it could be Spanish. Apparently, it is a town in Spain.

Most people think of George W. Bush, Harsh criminal code, Western Movies, Republicans, Oil-tycoons, low taxes, the lonestar flag, ranches, pick-ups, high-ways, The Alamo, horses, cattle, oil-rigs, tex-mex, Texas barbecue and cowboys when they think of Texas. The only Texican-city people would know about is Dallas (because of the TV-show) and some people with some deeper knowledge would think of Austin because it sounds naturally to say Texas after.
... you're kidding me, right?

Is this post a joke?

Old 06-02-2014, 11:05 AM

9,223 posts, read 13,476,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I'd vote Fort Worth or Austin. I have spent a lot of time in both and both encapsulate "Texas" very effectively. Both have a kind of personality that screams "Texas". Both are proudly and defiantly their own places--a glimpse of Texas that is mostly lost in places like Houston and Dallas.

I'd also nominate San Antonio. It has a lot of Texas and Mexican charm, for sure. I once had an advertising client in San Antonio who was leery of her company's San Antonio roots in marketing state-wide. I sold a campaign to her with this pitch: I said, "don't worry about having your roots in San Antonio. Every Texan has two homes--where he comes from, and San Antonio. We'll make that clear for those who don't already get it."

Yeah, I got the business.
Good job lol. I've heard that saying a lot which is why SA is the city I voted for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Plano and Sugar Land are probably the least Texan cities in the state.
Exactly. Those two places are typical suburban Anywhere, USA cities.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:12 AM

1,039 posts, read 826,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
... you're kidding me, right?

Is this post a joke?
Honestly, I understand where he's coming from with a lot of this. I wouldn't say that Ft. Worth could be a city anywhere in the U.S., but people outside of Texas don't really know Texas like Texans. And if they have never been to Texas, all they will know is what they see in the media, in which case Dallas will always win. Austin would probably come in at #2 media-wise because of the Longhorns. Houston is still relatively quiet. The most media coverage San Antonio gets is when the Spurs are playing. And hardly anyone knows what's going on in Ft. Worth, Laredo, El Paso, or Corpus Christi unless you took the time to look it up.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:42 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Honestly, I understand where he's coming from with a lot of this. I wouldn't say that Ft. Worth could be a city anywhere in the U.S., but people outside of Texas don't really know Texas like Texans. And if they have never been to Texas, all they will know is what they see in the media, in which case Dallas will always win. Austin would probably come in at #2 media-wise because of the Longhorns. Houston is still relatively quiet. The most media coverage San Antonio gets is when the Spurs are playing. And hardly anyone knows what's going on in Ft. Worth, Laredo, El Paso, or Corpus Christi unless you took the time to look it up.
He said "Most young people would think that San Antonio is a GTA title...", not an actual city in Texas. And that " most people think Houston is in FLORIDA".

Are you REALLY going to take THAT seriously?

Old 06-02-2014, 11:58 AM

18,258 posts, read 25,986,979 times
I've never heard people think Houston would be mistaken for a Florida city ever.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:25 PM

1,039 posts, read 826,071 times
I kinda glossed over those two. The San Antonio quip was a stretch, but I could someone reaching that conclusion...if they never watched TV or got on the Internet ever. The Houston one I misread: I thought he was saying people thought Kennedy Space Center was in Houston.

After taking a harder look at that post, I pretty much agree with y'all. The description of cities is laughable.

Quote:
Most people think of George W. Bush, Harsh criminal code, Western Movies, Republicans, Oil-tycoons, low taxes, the lonestar flag, ranches, pick-ups, high-ways, The Alamo, horses, cattle, oil-rigs, tex-mex, Texas barbecue and cowboys when they think of Texas.
This quote, however, I can understand. Nothing really outlandish, except maybe "Harsh criminal code".

Old 06-02-2014, 07:11 PM
JJG

Ok... I'm sorry, I just HAVE to break this down so you can understand how truly absurd this is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesforme View Post
I associate Texas with Dallas and maybe Austin. Look into the others;
You honestly believe that those are the ONLY two cities people associate Texas with? I know Americans suck at geography, but good lord, that's just false.

Quote:

Houston: Famous for “Houston, we have a problem”. The only problem with Houston is that most people think that Houston is in Florida and is the name of the city where Kennedy Space Center is located.
.... what I put in bold is probably the dumbest thing I've seen on this site. And that's saying a lot.
Never heard of the Houston Texans?

Quote:
San Antonio: Most young people would think that San Antonio is a GTA-title and old people would think that San Antonio is a city in Mexico or Southern California.

I would say "enough said", but I get the feeling that it wouldn't be enough. If people don't know where and what the freaking ALAMO is, then our school system is failing harder than I thought. That's not just Texas history, it's American history.

I'm pretty damn sure most people know that San Antonio is a city in Texas.

Quote:
El Paso: I think of the brand “Old El Paso” and Mexico. I think most people associate El Paso with those two rather than El Paso, Texas.
I'm glad you said "I think..."

Quote:
Arlington: I think of Arlington County in West Virginia rather than Arlington,Texas.
... not Arlington, Virginia? I mean, I could at least understand that. And Arlington here is an overgrown city-burb, but at least they have the Rangers (for more than 40 years, I may add), the Cowboys, and hosted a Final Four and Super Bowl not too long ago. I know people mostly think Dallas or DFW, but the address still says "Arlington", and I think people can draw the conclusion that there's an Arlington in Texas as well.

Quote:
Corpus Christi: A scary name but do most people associate it with Texas? I do not think so.
I'm pretty sure most Tejano fans (Selena) and people who love Whataburger do. But since CC isn't as well known as the other Texas cities, I can kinda give that one a pass.

Quote:
Fort Worth: Could be a city anywhere in United States and so do people think.
*sigh*... as a native of Fort Worth and Fort Worth poster/booster on this site, I've spent way too many hours trying to explain what this city is and help kill the MANY misconceptions people have about this town... I have to admit, what you said is new to me. Never in my life have I seen or heard anyone say that Fort Worth could be "anywhere in the United States". Uh... Dallas/Fort Worth? DFW? Not very many people know much about Fort Worth, but they at least know (and I hate to say this) because of Dallas that Fort Worth is in Texas.

Quote:
Plano: I think of the Plano Cultures in Canada but most people would just say it is a suburb to Denver.
...cultures in Canada?

Quote:
Laredo: The name sounds so Spanish that it could be Spanish. Apparently, it is a town in Spain.
Laredo isn't big or well known, so I'll give you that. But it isn't like NO ONE outside of Texas hasn't heard of it as a Texas city.

I don't want to throw out the "T-word" since I've had warnings about that from the mods, but this post seems like a troll post. NO ONE can be that ridiculously ignorant in the age of the internet.

Last edited by JJG; 06-02-2014 at 07:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or