U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which downtown is the most urban and walkable?
Savannah 24 21.62%
DC 16 14.41%
Baltimore 5 4.50%
Philadelphia 66 59.46%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 05-19-2014, 07:14 PM
 
9,588 posts, read 10,921,611 times
Reputation: 2119

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Bahahaha exactly. Next time around the "core" will include the entire city of DC and all it's satellite cities.

What do you define urban core as? What criteria do you use? House's, building's, streets, retail, subway stops? What do you use? I'm wondering what you would do different for D.C. How would you define the core in D.C. and what criteria would you use?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2014, 07:30 PM
 
9,588 posts, read 10,921,611 times
Reputation: 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I actually love living a very urban neighborhood that has a great feel of mostly 3 story rowhouses and a ton of character within a 1 to 45 minute walk of almost everything I want including a 10 minute walk to the very urban DT yet have a tree-lined diverse neighborhood street (where people plant flowers together along their fronts)

there are pros and cons to both but for me I would choose my neighborhood or a row in Dupont over these new apartment buildings any day - but that is me.

FWIW I live in your 16 sq mile are for Philly and hear buses, and children laughing, and birds, and church bells and my neighbors saying hello every day. I actually dont want to live DT but love being a stones throw in an actual neighborhood. I am loving Bella Vista more and more with each day to be honest.

I do think Philly is more walkable base on time in each and living in each, just my two cents

Nothing wrong with that. That is why we have choices in life. I know that is what you prefer which you have said before. I like all high-rise's personally. Rooftop pools and indoor movie theaters etc. etc. Don't know what it would be like to go back to normal regular row house living again.

Center City is going to be very similar to Manhattan the more it gets built out. D.C. will never have that level of intensity. D.C.'s strength is high urban intensity over a much longer distance compared to other cities. That is an effect of height limits. That is the pro and con to height limits. You can either have a 2 sq. mile very urban downtown or a little less intense urban core 8 times the size of a very urban downtown. There are trade offs. I personally want to be able to leave the 2 sq. mile's without feeling like I left the urban core. I try not to spend time in area's not built as intense as the areas I have pointed out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 7,037,521 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Bahahaha exactly. Next time around the "core" will include the entire city of DC and all it's satellite cities.
Ok.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 7,037,521 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEast Coast 202 View Post
A lot of blocks in DT DC are too damn long and the buildings are redundant.
The entire place is like one massive construction project. Doesn't really surprise me honestly.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 7,037,521 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I actually love living a very urban neighborhood that has a great feel of mostly 3 story rowhouses and a ton of character within a 1 to 45 minute walk of almost everything I want including a 10 minute walk to the very urban DT yet have a tree-lined diverse neighborhood street (where people plant flowers together along their fronts)

there are pros and cons to both but for me I would choose my neighborhood or a row in Dupont over these new apartment buildings any day - but that is me.

FWIW I live in your 16 sq mile are for Philly and hear buses, and children laughing, and birds, and church bells and my neighbors saying hello every day. I actually dont want to live DT but love being a stones throw in an actual neighborhood. I am loving Bella Vista more and more with each day to be honest.

I do think Philly is more walkable base on time in each and living in each, just my two cents
Agreed. If I were to move to DC, I would prefer to live somewhere like Adams Morgan or Columbia Heights instead of Penn Quarter or Foggy Bottom. I love Downtown DC but I'd prefer to live in the residential neighborhoods.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2016, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
3,937 posts, read 2,342,554 times
Reputation: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I know what you meant; though to me places like say a Houston, NOLA, or even Austin or DFW are worse - all are soupy some moreso

FWIW I think the summer extremes in Philly are worse than the winter extremes
Lived in Texas and DC. Texas is definitely hotter. Not a comparison, unless you're a biased Texan.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2016, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Boston
432 posts, read 319,536 times
Reputation: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Lived in Texas and DC. Texas is definitely hotter. Not a comparison, unless you're a biased Texan.
and there aren't any of those on city data lol I wouldn't be surprised if some of them tried to claim that Boston is hotter than Houston during the summer.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2016, 06:00 PM
 
Location: morningside, atlanta
361 posts, read 454,024 times
Reputation: 317
^ can't speak for austin or houston really, but my experience so far of the summer here in DFW is that it is absolutely hot as **** but definitely lower humidity than the east. it feels like a hair dryer vs a sauna. i've been frequently checking temps compared with back home in atlanta and it's been raining constantly there the past month with highs in the 80s while it has been 105-110 here but sunny and dry, day in and day out. completely OT, but i just pulled up savannah and it's been cooler there as well - i'm sure breezes off the coast help some during the summertime.

savannah has the urbanity of a bigger city but still nothing near the other three; this is a stupid comparison. my vote's for DC, since it's the least disturbed by freeways, and served by the best and most highly utilized transit.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2016, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
3,937 posts, read 2,342,554 times
Reputation: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
and there aren't any of those on city data lol I wouldn't be surprised if some of them tried to claim that Boston is hotter than Houston during the summer.
Yeah, like I said, I've lived in both. Are there 100 degree days in DC or Boston? I think so. DC is humid too. But I've lived in Texas 30+ years. Noticeably hotter. Plus keep in mind, you walk more in Boston and DC. Texas cities aren't about walkability, so you are out of the heat that much quicker.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2016, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
3,937 posts, read 2,342,554 times
Reputation: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
^ can't speak for austin or houston. really, but my experience so far of the summer here in DFW is that it is absolutely hot as **** but definitely lower humidity than the east. it feels like a hair dryer vs a sauna. i've been frequently checking temps compared with back home in atlanta and it's been raining constantly there the past month with highs in the 80s while it has been 105-110 here but sunny and dry, day in and day out. completely OT, but i just pulled up savannah and it's been cooler there as well - i'm sure breezes off the coast help some during the summertime.

savannah has the urbanity of a bigger city but still nothing near the other three; this is a stupid comparison. my vote's for DC, since it's the least disturbed by freeways, and served by the best and most highly utilized transit.
Definitely dryer than DC. Austin is every bit as hot as Dallas and I think Houston has lower temps, but more humidity.

Currently DC feels like 96, Dallas 104. Philly 97 Austin 107, Houston 108.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top