U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which of these cities are more culturally alike Dallas/Tyler or Atlanta/Macon Or Houston/Lufkin
Dallas/Tyler 12 24.49%
Atlanta/Macon 20 40.82%
Houston/Lufkin 17 34.69%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2014, 08:23 PM
 
1,064 posts, read 1,526,272 times
Reputation: 306

Advertisements

Lufkin is well over 30,000 people please stay on the Tyler forum with that mess.
Lufkin vibe is pretty much like Houston and as a matter of fact it puts Tyler redlights stops everywhere to shame with its freeway Lufkin has and expanding lol!
I still can't get over that red light town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2014, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Baghdad by the Bay (San Francisco, California)
3,530 posts, read 4,139,413 times
Reputation: 3145
I think Huntsville is more like Houston's Tyler than Lufkin is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2014, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,257 posts, read 16,201,248 times
Reputation: 9273
Did you ever find out who Sherman was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2014, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Columbus,Georgia
2,663 posts, read 3,855,289 times
Reputation: 597
Culturally alike to Atlanta.

Atlanta/Columbus/Augusta/Macon/Savannah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2014, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Macon, GA
1,892 posts, read 3,900,098 times
Reputation: 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
I have knowledge of each area and I will start with Dallas it seems to me that Tyler,Tx seems to have a similar vibe going on with stuck up people like in Dallas and the loop 323 seem to remind me of loop 12 in Dallas.Atlanta and Macon,ga seem to me kinda different in a way with Atl being more of a hiphop scene and Macon more a country music scene and the people are more friendlier in Atlanta then Macon,ga not knocking Macon but just haven't ran into friendlier people.Houston seem to have rubbed off on Lufkin,Tx with Lufkin trying to build there infrastructure the way Houston is and the vibes are about the same its all about landing a job and raising familys and both cities seem to have nice people.
I would like to get the input of others take on this topic!
Um What? lol Macon has a higher % of AAs than Atlanta. There are definitely more places to go out in Macon that revolve around hip hop (or pop music from all genres but mainly play hip hop) than there are "country music" spots. And I dont find Atlanta or Macon particularly unfriendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2014, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Lufkin, Tx
10 posts, read 9,179 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Lufkin is well over 30,000 people please stay on the Tyler forum with that mess.
Lufkin vibe is pretty much like Houston and as a matter of fact it puts Tyler redlights stops everywhere to shame with its freeway Lufkin has and expanding lol!
I still can't get over that red light town!
lol...Lufkin has 36k. You can drive across Lufkin in less than 15 minutes. I guess you can say people in Lufkin visit Houston more frequently and people in Tyler visit Dallas more frequently because of geographic proximity. Not sure that makes them more alike?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2014, 04:07 PM
 
1,064 posts, read 1,526,272 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsdaddy View Post
lol...Lufkin has 36k. You can drive across Lufkin in less than 15 minutes. I guess you can say people in Lufkin visit Houston more frequently and people in Tyler visit Dallas more frequently because of geographic proximity. Not sure that makes them more alike?
It take about 30 minutes to get through Lufkin and it has a large retail market that can support a city over 100,000 people and that is a known fact.Lufkin goes to Houston of course people from Atlanta,ga or any other city do as well so what was your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2014, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Houston
6,851 posts, read 12,511,181 times
Reputation: 5773
Instead of the pairing suggested. I'd probably go with this pairing instead:

Houston/Dallas

Tyler/Lufkin

Big city culture vs small town culture. They all share Texas culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2014, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Lufkin, Tx
10 posts, read 9,179 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
It take about 30 minutes to get through Lufkin and it has a large retail market that can support a city over 100,000 people and that is a known fact.Lufkin goes to Houston of course people from Atlanta,ga or any other city do as well so what was your point?
Why thanks Dee. I've only lived right IN THE MIDDLE OF LUFKIN FOR ALMOST 50 YEARS. You can drive across town in 10-15 minutes. What's your point? The chamber of commerce estimates Lufkin's daytime population at 75,000. There's a Walmart, a Target, a K-Mart, the mall, a Best Buy, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. I know because I live within 5 minutes of all these places. Again I ask you...what's your point? Lufkin at 36,000 doesn't have a lot in common with Houston (2.3 m) except that we're all Texans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2014, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,297 posts, read 26,206,666 times
Reputation: 9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Instead of the pairing suggested. I'd probably go with this pairing instead:

Houston/Dallas

Tyler/Lufkin

Big city culture vs small town culture. They all share Texas culture.
How about this one. Dallas/Waco and Houston/Beaumont and Atlanta/Macon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top