U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 01:23 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,467,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Saying Houston is LA on steroids is like saying Chicago is New York on steroids.

There's no logic to a statement like that.
I said Houston is Texas' version of LA on steroids, which it is...the skyline, the freeways, the diversity, the coastal setting, etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 01:25 PM

112 posts, read 102,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Saying Houston is LA on steroids is like saying Chicago is New York on steroids.

There's no logic to a statement like that.
Maybe he's talking about the size of Houston's freeways.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggah View Post
Maybe he's talking about the size of Houston's freeways.
Houston has larger/wider freeways than LA, which are busier of course.

There are several 5 stack interchanges in Houston. Not sure about LA.

Some of Houston's freeways are over 20 lanes wide. The Katy Freeway (Interstate 10) is 26 lanes wide making it the widest & most traveled (over 219,000 vehicles a day) expanse of concrete in the World.

By contrast, LA's 405 is 300,000 vehicles a day.

World's 11 Wildest Highways To Drive Before You Die: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-w...in-the-world-8

Last edited by Metro Matt; 05-07-2014 at 01:44 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 01:35 PM

112 posts, read 102,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Some of Houston's freeways are over 20 lanes wide. LA's aren't nearly that wide.
That was the point I was trying to make.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:37 PM

18,275 posts, read 26,089,276 times
Quote:
What ever dude.

My friends big sister knows Bushwick Bill personally. He's always going into her bar. I had "Mind's Playing Tricks on Me" on cassette when it first came out in 1991. You're way too young to remember Walkman's & mix tapes though so I'll stop right there...
I'm near 31 so I know what a walkman and mixtapes are. You have proven countless times that you don't know hip hop in any way shape or form. So it's best that you don't talk about it and try to connect Houston to Los Angeles in more superficial ways.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:43 PM

865 posts, read 831,377 times
Houston has a great deal of issues to me. It feels way to spread out and i have no idea where the "downtown" or "skyline" is because its like a bunch of skyrises plotted whereeever. Next the last time I went there I was in the southwest section of Houston looking at a car and I turned around because the salesman forgot to give my license back and I ended up in the most rundown downright 3rd world looking stretch out land I've ever seen..and I grew up in Chicago. I Thought the had part of Houston was in the north east jeez. Houston's not exciting to look at, doesn't offer much you can't get elseehere, lacks the appeal to me both visually and emotionally. But to each their own. I honestly would rank Texas cities as such... #1. Austin. #2. Arlington/Dallas area #3. Fort Worth. #4 Houston #5 San Antonio. Just my view.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:41 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,118,637 times
Quote:
Houston isn't a thing like Sacramento, Austin is.

Houston is Texas' version of LA on steroids.
I thought that might draw out your nonsense. You are wrong again, of course.

Coming from actual experience, I've found a lot of correlations between Sacramento and Houston:

Both are insanely hot in the summertime and can occasionally get cold in the winter.
Both are under-served by major universities, given their populations.
Both are generally derided by people within their state and largely overlooked as destination by people outside their state.
Both have cheap houses, large sprawl, limited public transportation and few walkable neighborhoods.
Both have secretly very good food scenes that are overshadowed by their poor images.
Both are two hours from cities most travelers find much more interesting to visit, but suffer from a kind of cultural isolation and lack of connection with other cities in their states.
Both are in environments and landscapes that defy common perceptions of those of the major cities in the state.
Both are very diverse--more so than most of the rest of the country.
Both became what they are by virtue of nearby natural resource discoveries.
Both play the "nice place to live, not visit" card. And both are right.

I will grant you that I can't imagine Sacto or any city in California (or really anywhere) bragging about how much land they've paved over with freeways. Most people view this shamefully.

Last edited by dalparadise; 05-07-2014 at 03:52 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 05:01 PM

11,037 posts, read 21,698,342 times
Quote:

Some of Houston's freeways are over 20 lanes wide. The Katy Freeway (Interstate 10) is 26 lanes wide making it the widest & most traveled (over 219,000 vehicles a day) expanse of concrete in the World.

By contrast, LA's 405 is 300,000 vehicles a day.

World's 11 Wildest Highways To Drive Before You Die: The World's 11 Wildest Highways - Business Insider
26 lanes and 219,000 a day? Chicago's Kennedy gets 300,000 at 12 lanes up near the Edens Junction. I'm sure Houston must have more than 219,000 per day at most.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:16 PM

4,691 posts, read 4,546,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
26 lanes and 219,000 a day? Chicago's Kennedy gets 300,000 at 12 lanes up near the Edens Junction. I'm sure Houston must have more than 219,000 per day at most.
This data is from 2010, maybe Matt has more current info.

Office of Highway Policy Information (OHPI) – Travel Monitoring

CaliforniaLos Angeles-Long Beach-Santa AnaI-405374,000CaliforniaLos Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana60337,000CaliforniaMission ViejoI-5334,000IllinoisChicago (IL-IN)I-90329,542CaliforniaLos Angeles-Long Beach-Santa AnaI-110328,000FloridaMiamiI-95328,000New JerseyNew York-Newark (NY-NJ-CT)I-95325,495TexasHoustonUS-59323,092CaliforniaLos Angeles-Long Beach-Santa AnaUS-101321,000CaliforniaLos Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana91318,000CaliforniaLos Angeles-Long Beach-Santa AnaI-5313,000TexasHoustonI-45310,662TexasDallas-Fort Worth-ArlingtonUS-75304,620

Old 05-07-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I thought that might draw out your nonsense. You are wrong again, of course.

Coming from actual experience, I've found a lot of correlations between Sacramento and Houston:

Both are insanely hot in the summertime and can occasionally get cold in the winter.
Both are under-served by major universities, given their populations.
Both are generally derided by people within their state and largely overlooked as destination by people outside their state.
Both have cheap houses, large sprawl, limited public transportation and few walkable neighborhoods.
Both have secretly very good food scenes that are overshadowed by their poor images.
Both are two hours from cities most travelers find much more interesting to visit, but suffer from a kind of cultural isolation and lack of connection with other cities in their states.
Both are in environments and landscapes that defy common perceptions of those of the major cities in the state.
Both are very diverse--more so than most of the rest of the country.
Both became what they are by virtue of nearby natural resource discoveries.
Both play the "nice place to live, not visit" card. And both are right.

I will grant you that I can't imagine Sacto or any city in California (or really anywhere) bragging about how much land they've paved over with freeways. Most people view this shamefully.
You're comparing a metro of only 2.2 million (Austin's is 2 million) to a metro of 6.5 million that is Houston.

You're comparing an inland city, Sacramento to a coastal city, Houston.

Sacramento is 100 miles from the beach. Houston is less than 40 miles from the beach.

Sorry, but Houston plays with the big boys. Sacramento is on Austin's & San Antonio's level.

List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City