Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 11:26 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
It's the only major city in Texas I haven't been to. What does a tourist/visitor do when they visit Houston? It's something I have a hard time getting my head around. It's not a knock, just a genuine question. I think of it as a place to do business and can't think any cachet or trademark about it, where as San Antonio has the Alamo/Riverwalk and Austin has music and an attractive downtown and I wouldn't have to think too hard on what I would do to keep myself busy in those cities.

I'm sure Houston has great shopping and dining (like any big city), but are there interesting destination neighborhoods to visit that would leave me thinking, "yeah, only in Houston". Does it have nice walkable areas to explore (something I love to do when I visit cities), and a decent enough downtown? Is it compelling enough to buy a plane ticket and make hotel arrangements to plan long urban weekend?
This. Even though Atlanta is a sprawling hell hole, it has built up a sizable tourist core in downtown centered on Centennial Park that can keep a person or family busy for a few days and even has some interesting walkable neighborhoods like Little Five Points or the history of MLK/Civil Rights Era and the Sweet Auburn district.

I can't think of anything in Houston...at all...I don't care about seeing their museums. If I wanted to see Fine Arts Museums, I'd go to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 11:37 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,923,775 times
Quote:
It's the only major city in Texas I haven't been to. What does a tourist/visitor do when they visit Houston? It's something I have a hard time getting my head around. It's not a knock, just a genuine question. I think of it as a place to do business and can't think any cachet or trademark about it, where as San Antonio has the Alamo/Riverwalk and Austin has music and an attractive downtown and I wouldn't have to think too hard on what I would do to keep myself busy in those cities.

I'm sure Houston has great shopping and dining (like any big city), but are there interesting destination neighborhoods to visit that would leave me thinking, "yeah, only in Houston". Does it have nice walkable areas to explore (something I love to do when I visit cities), and a decent enough downtown? Is it compelling enough to buy a plane ticket and make hotel arrangements to plan long urban weekend?
Trouble thinking of trademarks? You can start with the fact that Houston is the energy dynamo of the country. Or the advanced, futuristic space city, the conciense of the space program, a leader in many technological innovations. If San Antonio has the Alamo, then Houston has the San Jacinto Mounment, a monolithic tribute to the strategic, and tactical battle that allowed for the circumstances that eventually led to Texas becoming a useful, and important state of our union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
This. Even though Atlanta is a sprawling hell hole, it has built up a sizable tourist core in downtown centered on Centennial Park that can keep a person or family busy for a few days and even has some interesting walkable neighborhoods like Little Five Points or the history of MLK/Civil Rights Era and the Sweet Auburn district.

I can't think of anything in Houston...at all...I don't care about seeing their museums. If I wanted to see Fine Arts Museums, I'd go to NYC.

The Houston Area offers immense oppurtunities to tourists around the country as well. In addition to the many Museums, and Fine Arts venues of downtown, more sights include the historic sectors (such as Heights) with Charleston-style Victorian aesthetic, a diverse mix of restraunts, NASA, and multiple coastal resorts for all the people to take advantage of the sunny, subtropical climate.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 05-05-2014 at 11:47 PM..

Old 05-05-2014, 11:58 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Trouble thinking of trademarks? You can start with the fact that Houston is the energy dynamo of the country. Or the advanced, futuristic space city, the conciense of the space program, a leader in many technological innovations. If San Antonio has the Alamo, then Houston has the San Jacinto Mounment, a monolithic tribute to the strategic, and tactical battle that allowed for the circumstances that eventually led to Texas becoming a useful, and important state of our union.
San Antonio has about 5 Missions, the River walk, Japanese Tea Garden, etc.

What does Houston have that a whole family can enjoy?
And keep in mind that Houston is twice as big as San Antonio.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:00 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:

Here is a link to a thread posted in the Houston forum where a woman from Florida bought her husband a 4 day vacation in Houston and really enjoyed her trip. Check it out and maybe you can get a idea for visiting yourself.

Thank You Houston

No city in Texas is that tourist friendly or attractive so I find it strange that you would somehow avoid the Houston/Galveston area because you can't figure out what to look for...Maybe your listening to those Houston bashers along I-35 too much or maybe its because Houston is the farthest City in Texas from New Mexico?....

Old 05-06-2014, 12:10 AM

686 posts, read 1,167,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazG View Post
^^^Spot on. Other than the sight where Tx was won and the beer can house it's difficult.

Speaking of the San Jacinto monument area, since that's where Tx was won and gained it's independence why didn't the city ever try to develop the area and make it a hot spot for more tourist to visit? I guess technically that is something unique about Houston.
It's too far removed from Central Houston. Same problem I have with NASA. Too far out. There needs to be more tourist friendly attractions in the Core. I was really hoping they could have done something useful and tourist centrist with the Astrodome but unfortunatly doesn't look like that will happen.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:50 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Here is a link to a thread posted in the Houston forum where a woman from Florida bought her husband a 4 day vacation in Houston and really enjoyed her trip. Check it out and maybe you can get a idea for visiting yourself.

Thank You Houston

No city in Texas is that tourist friendly or attractive so I find it strange that you would somehow avoid the Houston/Galveston area because you can't figure out what to look for...Maybe your listening to those Houston bashers along I-35 too much or maybe its because Houston is the farthest City in Texas from New Mexico?....
Thats dumb. Not just because Houston isnt the most tourist attractive city in Texas (it would be a toss up between Austin and San Antonio), but because your reasoning is stupid. Houston isnt popular because people are listening to bashers from Dallas? Really?

Old 05-06-2014, 10:53 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Houston seems more talked about to me than Dallas. I'm not really itching to see Dallas but would like to see Houston, Austin and San Antonio.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:06 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
I dont really know why this is really being talked about. Im from out of state and I dont ever recall one being talked about more than the other. Austin was definately the sweetheart that was talked about the most.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:59 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Thats dumb. Not just because Houston isnt the most tourist attractive city in Texas (it would be a toss up between Austin and San Antonio), but because your reasoning is stupid. Houston isnt popular because people are listening to bashers from Dallas? Really?
Hold on Einstein I didn't specifically point to Dallas (you must have a guilty conscience). If you take Houston out of the equation though every major city in Texas is located along I-35 including Austin (remember). The post I was replying to which isn't the OP stated he had visited every major city in Texas except Houston. It was sarcastic, and accusatory, but tongue and cheek at the same time. I also gave an alternate explanation that Houston is the farthest away from where his profile says he is, which is New Mexico. We will see if the poster reply's. I may be reaching but it is not a dumb rational to think that maybe this one poster is being influenced by the places in Texas he has visited, of where to go, or not to go. We will see.

If he truly was just at a loss to come up with worthy destinations in the Houston area I would be astounded. Galveston would be a worthy, interesting, and compact destination, in and of itself, not to mention the Johnson Space Center or some of the more eclectic attractions of Houston.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 05-06-2014 at 12:14 PM..

Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I'm sorry, but I SO don't get why there are repeated threads that are about things that are exclusively Texas on the General US and City v City forums. Nothing against the state, but understand that you are not the center of the Universe. No other state does this. It's annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City