U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2014, 07:55 PM
 
112 posts, read 102,290 times
Reputation: 36

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Houston isn't trying to be like L.A. Get Out OF Here With That!!!!!!!!!!!

Dallas are Houston don't care about preserving history because that holds up growth from little towns to big cities.You have people that care for history and wanted to stay and some that care for history but knowing it was there is just enough lol.


Maybe that is the reason Houston,Dallas and Austin are taking L.A,CHICAGO,PHILLY population.
People get sick of see the same thing thats what I like about Texas you never know what you are going to see new.

Good bye with the Dust and Hello to the New age cities Houston,Dallas,Austin bye bye Ice Age cities L.A.
Chicago,Nyc bye as for me!!!!!!
were you and Matt joined at the hip at some point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2014, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Baghdad by the Bay (San Francisco, California)
3,530 posts, read 4,093,253 times
Reputation: 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggah View Post
were you and Matt joined at the hip at some point?
I think they share a brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Baghdad by the Bay (San Francisco, California)
3,530 posts, read 4,093,253 times
Reputation: 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Just as Dallas (Arlington tax payers & Jerry Jones really) built Cowboys Stadium out of pure jealousy of Reliant Stadium having the 1st retractable roof in the NFL giving the City of Houston 2 retractable roof stadiums including Minute Maid Park.

The Astrodome in Houston was the 1st air conditioned stadium of its size.

Houston sets the standard all other cities follow when it comes to building stadiums.
I think American Airlines Arena is much nicer than the Toyota Center. As for Reliant Stadium, or whatever they are calling it now, I think it's a decent building, but one that is easily surpassed (and was, in fact, surpassed by a couple of stadiums, including Dallas')

Minute Maid Park has a lot of memories for this baseball fan, but it's not an especially good environment for baseball with the roof closed. The ballpark in Arlington is no better with its terrible weather and desolate surroundings. Neither city seems to "get" baseball and a baseball environment and neither stadium is much of a "standard" for anyone to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,229 posts, read 25,925,308 times
Reputation: 8987
I actually think Houston has a chance to build a nice ballpark area since it's in downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 22,352,812 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I think American Airlines Arena is much nicer than the Toyota Center. As for Reliant Stadium, or whatever they are calling it now, I think it's a decent building, but one that is easily surpassed (and was, in fact, surpassed by a couple of stadiums, including Dallas')

Minute Maid Park has a lot of memories for this baseball fan, but it's not an especially good environment for baseball with the roof closed. The ballpark in Arlington is no better with its terrible weather and desolate surroundings. Neither city seems to "get" baseball and a baseball environment and neither stadium is much of a "standard" for anyone to follow.
Reliant Stadium has the largest HD video board in the world. Its almost 100 yards long...as long as the field itself. Nothing surpasses that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 10:20 PM
 
6,795 posts, read 6,595,922 times
Reputation: 5411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I think they share a brain.
They have brains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 11:44 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
1,316 posts, read 1,266,445 times
Reputation: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Reliant Stadium has the largest HD video board in the world. Its almost 100 yards long...as long as the field itself. Nothing surpasses that.
Now that is worth jumping on a plane and travel 2000 miles to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2014, 12:01 AM
 
Location: Baghdad by the Bay (San Francisco, California)
3,530 posts, read 4,093,253 times
Reputation: 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Reliant Stadium has the largest HD video board in the world. Its almost 100 yards long...as long as the field itself. Nothing surpasses that.
No real sports fan cares about video boards. Plus, talk about one city copying another out of "pure jealousy"...

Seriously dude, does everything come down to "bragging rights" with you? Is there any honest substance in your life, or do you measure every breath you take in terms of how you can find some number to post about it that will register higher than some other number? Have you ever actually been a part of a city? Lived and worked in an urban neighborhood? Been a real fan of a city's teams? Voted in a city's elections...where you understood the real implications of the outcome?

Or, is everything some kind of score-keeping exercise for you? What a sad life, devoid of any real experience. You seem like the kind of person who would vote to destroy a beautiful natural landscape to put up the tallest building or pave over with the widest parking lot--just to brag that it's bigger than somewhere else's bad decision. You brag about the oddest things in Houston--things that most people would be ashamed of--because you have no vested interest there, so it just becomes some kind of stupid game.

You lie incessantly and make statements about things you don't understand as facts. You seem to believe that if you say something enough times, it will make it true. You say you spent a couple of years living in the distant suburbs of Houston (I actually doubt this, given your weird exaggerations and misunderstandings of Houston living) and act like you know something about that city. Then, when challenged you post some kind of Wikipedia article that's completely irrelevant to the subject on which you are being challenged. Then, you change the subject again to fit some kind of argument where your odd, obsessive score-keeping disorder can come back into play.

Do you understand that only a moron would choose to live in a city, marry, settle down, buy property, etc. based on the kinds of criteria you spout off about (skyline height, tallest building outside a CBD, most beer cans on a wood frame house, most art installations that look like flushing toilets, most empty theater seats in a 2-mile radius, widest freeway, most non-existent tittie bars next to schools, most tired references to Beyoncé and rappers nobody has cared about in 20 years, etc.)?

The fact that you make all of these asinine claims about Houston from Tyler, 4 hours away, is even more bizarre. That means even your fantasy life is devoid of substance.

You flat-out lied about me earlier in this thread as if you were stating facts. You made assumptions about my upbringing. You gave a false square footage of my home. You said I lived "near the Bay Area"--all to discredit what you couldn't honestly refute. Why would you think I, or anyone else would ever believe the numbers you throw around or the "facts" you state about anything after all of that? You are a liar who deals in both willful and and actual ignorance. You do more harm to Houston than you can possibly understand.

I'm still waiting for one shred of evidence of the sexually-oriented businesses you so defiantly claim are located next to Houston churches and schools. Show me one picture, one news clip, anything, and I will apologize and take everything back. You won't though, will you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2014, 01:04 AM
 
Location: Where Else...?
740 posts, read 984,496 times
Reputation: 657
Spade:
Quote:
How does a city bully another city?
The same way a city can be considered to have "insecurities".

Quote:
This is where gsupstate was talking about when it comes to insecurities regarding aspects of Houston.
How can you claim that a city can have "aspects of insecurities", and yet question how does "a city bullies another"?


dalaparadise:

Quote:
The point many make in this regard is that people move to Houston, not necessarily because they "like" it, but because of economic reasons. Plenty find things to like after living there for awhile. It is a big city after all, and once it's in its own context, it's fine.

As an aspirational destination to live or visit, though? Not on anything but a regional level and typically 2nd or 3rd to others in its region.

Hell, I half-way considered moving to Sacramento (the Houston of California) because of a great job offer. I'm sure I would have learned to love it, but decided to follow my heart and take my chances elsewhere.
It still boils down to preference. and what i see is that people outside of Houston (and texas) can't fathom the reality that there are those that choose...willfully.... to move to Houston. I know that economics plays a big part, a very big part. A lot of people are moving, and have moved to Houston due to job relocation. However, it isn't the case in every aspect. Some simply have other reasons, such as change of scenery, something different, something new, .... the weather....etc. People are not being strong-armed into their decision(s) to relocate. People were relocating to Houston before it's economy was strengthening.

Matty:

Quote:
I personally never saw the attraction to Houston but that's me. The city and it's people don't seem to be proud of there city. I have known people from Houston who don't put a positive light on the city. For people in LA, NYC, or Chi and so on you have plenty of people who are proud of there city, that doesn't seem the case in Houston. It's not to say everyone else in the city is this way, this is just my impression.
Houston either has too much pride or not enough.... lol... I prefer humility... seriously...

Quote:
The fact that the city has the fourth largest population and it doesn't register anywhere else in the US says a lot. Then again population isn't everything.
When it comes to other major cities (especially the top 3) population is a major factor. With regards to Houston, it's either irrelevant or disregarded altogether.....

JohnATX:

Quote:
Houston what it is. Why should it follow other's. Houston has it's own identity. Which is a laid back, southern, sprawled out city. A well put matter is like Chicago is to New York as Houston is to LA.
Houston is judged based on what other cities look like and how other cities are built and designed, because it does not resemble them. People really shouldn't expect Houston to resemble Boston, Chicago, NYC, or Philly.. or any other aged, urban complex. It's just not going to happen. Houston is Houston. By the same token I would not expect to go to those cities and expect them to resemble Houston.

NYC, Chicago, Boston, even L.A., S.F., Philly, Seattle.. have been highly regarded and respected by having their own vibe, their own character and features. Yet houston is set to both high and low standards at the same time. Too much of this, not enough of that. I've said it before and i will keep saying it, Houston is slammed for not being like these cities, yet in the same breath, regarded as beneath them, with overtones and undertones that utter: "Houston will never be like [said] cities!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2014, 01:18 AM
 
1,064 posts, read 1,509,346 times
Reputation: 306
I know Metro Matt comes off very rude at times because he is from my region and we get into arguements over the smallest things he think he knows so much about.

Houston is a great city and metro and San Francisco is as well but don't think for a NYC sec that it is talk about in Houston for a second.When we think of Calli we think of L.A. and Hollywood that's it.

Now you tell me that Houston isn't discussed in San Francisco and I can tell you right now that is a BIG FAT LIE because Texas seem to be a hot spot right now.

We are sorry that yall pick a governer that destroyed yall economy and Texas had Rick Perry ramping up growth.You and alot of people get on here every day to think of the next thing bad you can say about Houston or any Texas city but is that holding up growth No!I bet America need to do a study on how each time a person say something negative about Houston the same amount are considering or have minds set on H-TOWN!!!!!!!!
PEACE OUT!!!!: cool::co ol:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top