U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 02:36 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,113,298 times

Advertisements

I moved to Houston voluntarily during the worst economic times in the city's history. And I benefited from Houston's rebound. Houston was good to me, but I outgrew it. I maxed out my career in a creative field and Houston left me no room to grow.

So, in the middle of a terrible recession, I left the comfort and security of a six-figure job in an inexpensive, but creatively vanilla market with no upward mobility to move to a very expensive, but dynamic market with great growth potential.

That's the difference for creative professionals. I've seen it across multiple industries in Houston. Dallas works a bit better. Austin, per capita, is much better, but is really small for creative professionals. So, many leave Texas for NYC, LA, Chicago or SF. That's not knocking Houston. That's just how it is.

I do know this-- if I were in some kind of accounting, energy, or medical field, where moving to Houston would greatly advance my growth opportunity, I'd still be hesitant to leave a place like San Francisco for Houston and sacrifice my quality of life issues.

Of course, the fact that I don't have kids makes such a decision much easier. If it were all about economics and feeding people who counted on me, it would be a much different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 02:53 AM

PS Dee--I was born in Nacogdoches and lived there until six days after my high school graduation. Whatever Matt's issues are, they aren't due to his being "from your same region".

Old 05-09-2014, 03:01 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,517,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
PS Dee--I was born in Nacogdoches and lived there until six days after my high school graduation. Whatever Matt's issues are, they aren't due to his being "from your same region".
You is not a resident or ever been a resident of my city lol
The things people say to make them look good really lol

Welcome to Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-09-2014, 03:07 AM

Quote:
P.S. Did you get my message!

I see what these people are talking about because you and Matt are talking a bunch of trash talk that doesn't make sense.

Grown people with city names tell me enough!
Did you not see sesame street lol?:sho cked:

Old 05-09-2014, 03:19 AM

I'm having difficulty deciphering your posts, Dee. Are you saying that you doubt I lived in Houston, or in Nacogdoches? Why would anyone lie about living in either?

Old 05-09-2014, 03:23 AM

1,795 posts, read 2,454,399 times
My head hurts.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:11 AM

PRETTY HURT'S in my Beyonce' voice!!!!!

I will get back on topic before I was rudely interrupted!

Houston is the 4th largest city in country and basically explaining or arguing with a city that is under that spot is like a parent arguing with a child and that kind of stuff should never take place.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:56 AM

112 posts, read 102,867 times
Quote:
So, now you're going to try a "Cold as War" tactic? I have never denied where I was born, and never really wanted to live in NYC. I wanted to be in San Francisco and now, here I am.

I moved to Houston when I was 17 and got my own apartment at Memorial and Shepherd, in the heart of the city--not some far-flung suburb like you. I also lived in the Heights in a house I bought when I was 23 and a townhouse in Rice Military that I bought when I was 30. I even moved to Dallas for a couple of years.

You are an adult, I'm guessing, who lives at home with his mother in Tyler and fantasizes about Houston. and you want to play the "you were born in Nacogdoches" game? People don't choose where they are born, only what comes after they become adults.

You've chosen Tyler.
Come on now Tyler ain't that bad

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=-wbtzsYohgc

Old 05-09-2014, 10:01 AM

7,994 posts, read 10,952,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges here. The Astrodome to the Cottonbowl is not accurate. Its era was in the 1970's, 80's, & 90's along with Texas Stadium. A better comparison to the Cottonbowl is Rice Stadium. It has hosted the Oilers, Super Bowls, & even John F. Kennedy gave a famous speech there. At 70,000 seats, Rice Stadium was the 2nd largest college stadium after the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

Cottonbowl - 1930

Rice Stadium - 1950

Astrodome - 1965

Texas Stadium - 1970
OMG. I wasn't comparing stadiums. I was comparing ICONIC stadiums. Both the Astrodome and The Cotton Bowl are ICONIC. Rice Stadium is not.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:51 AM

4,688 posts, read 4,534,979 times
Quote:
No real sports fan cares about video boards. Plus, talk about one city copying another out of "pure jealousy"...
The new "gigantic" video boards at NRG stadium were put in to qualify for contention to host the 2017 Superbowl, not to keep up with the Jones.. NRG(Reliant) it seems was the only NFL stadium not to have a digital scoreboard at that time. I guess they figured if they were going to do something, why not do it big, and they did. For a mere 16 mil, I thought it was a pretty good deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City