U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 08:39 PM

18,254 posts, read 25,980,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
These threads are popping up because Houston homers believe their population numbers have made their city relevant with other US star cities. [b]Houston is a joke!
So this is basically what the city vs city forum has come down to. This just proves this is the most useless forum on this entire website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 08:54 PM

11,040 posts, read 13,420,671 times
Houston is the 5th largest metro area in the nation and has over 6 million people living there. Considering the size of the metro area, I am surprised that it's not talked about more often or features anything world class about it that people in the rest of the country actually know about it. I'm not bashing it, just telling it like it is. Heck, I've considered moving there.

But I mean, other metros that are much smaller, such as Las Vegas, Orlando, San Diego, San Francisco, Boston, Denver, Seattle, etc. are much more iconic than Houston, even though they're significantly smaller.

That's a problem.

It does seem like a great place to do business and get a job, however. I love all the lush greenery.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:56 PM

1,795 posts, read 2,445,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
These threads are popping up because Houston homers believe their population numbers have made their city relevant with other US star cities. Houston is a joke!
Yeah, I guess all of the massive construction going on in Houston is a joke as well? Whatever makes you feel better, but so you know Houston isn't going anywhere.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:08 PM
Status: "waite untill next year. It was fun while it lasted !" (set 22 days ago)

4,660 posts, read 4,505,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Houston is the 5th largest metro area in the nation and has over 6 million people living there. Considering the size of the metro area, I am surprised that it's not talked about more often or features anything world class about it that people in the rest of the country actually know about it. I'm not bashing it, just telling it like it is. Heck, I've considered moving there.

But I mean, other metros that are much smaller, such as Las Vegas, Orlando, San Diego, San Francisco, Boston, Denver, Seattle, etc. are much more iconic than Houston, even though they're significantly smaller.

That's a problem.

It does seem like a great place to do business and get a job, however. I love all the lush greenery.
An icon is what people perceive it to be. To me there are many iconic buildings, statues, and structures in and around Houston. If the rest of the nation does not recognize anything in Houston as iconic, it may be that there is a resistance outside of this area, to accept these images as iconic, not necessarily that there is nothing iconic about Houston.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:11 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,979,532 times
Show me iconic things about Houston. I have nothing against the city (hell, my great Aunt lived there for 40 years) but there is nothing that I've seen or read that makes me want to jump on the next plane out. So, as a resident yourself, do your city some justice and make a case for it for me.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,270,312 times
There is no draw except cheap property. Houston made itself due to land grabbing swaths of land. 600 sq miles of sterile suburbia. There is nothing unique at all about it. Your Chinatown looks like a glorified strip mall. LOL!!

Old 05-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Status: "waite untill next year. It was fun while it lasted !" (set 22 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Show me iconic things about Houston. I have nothing against the city (hell, my great Aunt lived there for 40 years) but there is nothing that I've seen or read that makes me want to jump on the next plane out. So, as a resident yourself, do your city some justice and make a case for it for me.
I wouldn't jump in a plane to see a lot of buildings and structures that people perceive as iconic, does that mean they are not iconic. Excuse me but your setting yourself up as some kind of arbiter of what is iconic. Which you are not...

But to humor you I will list some of the buildings, statues and structures that I see as iconic.

we will start with the Williams Tower, once billed the tallest suburban office building in the world. The searchlight at the top is very familiar to most Texans at least.

Next the Astrodome, I really didn't have to label this photo for you did I, which is the definition of icon

Statue of Sam Houston on horseback Herman Park, along with a reflecting pond and the Mecom fountain.

San Jacinto Monument, maybe you don't recognize the structure, but you should, all Americans should, it is a big part of American history...

Lets start with these

Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,979,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Excuse me but your setting yourself up as some kind of arbiter of what is iconic. Which you are not...
I don't think you get it - it doesn't matter. I'm a traveler. When I learn about somewhere new (if I didn't already know about it), and I really like it..then I may want to visit. And when I visit, I spend money. And when enough of people like me visit - it's good for you as a resident of that city with even more money flowing into your city. Hopefully you understand this.

The statue and monument are neat but not sure if I'd travel a long ways to see just those two. The tower is also OK but doesn't do it for me. I live in a city of a lot of skyscrapers and high rises so I think it would be cool to look at but not that long. How about good restaurants?

Old 05-06-2014, 09:46 PM

9,055 posts, read 17,371,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Hold on Einstein I didn't specifically point to Dallas (you must have a guilty conscience). If you take Houston out of the equation though every major city in Texas is located along I-35 including Austin (remember). The post I was replying to which isn't the OP stated he had visited every major city in Texas except Houston. It was sarcastic, and accusatory, but tongue and cheek at the same time. I also gave an alternate explanation that Houston is the farthest away from where his profile says he is, which is New Mexico. We will see if the poster reply's. I may be reaching but it is not a dumb rational to think that maybe this one poster is being influenced by the places in Texas he has visited, of where to go, or not to go. We will see.

If he truly was just at a loss to come up with worthy destinations in the Houston area I would be astounded. Galveston would be a worthy, interesting, and compact destination, in and of itself, not to mention the Johnson Space Center or some of the more eclectic attractions of Houston.
Well lets see, I've made it to most big cities in Texas for a variety of reasons...

First visit was on business and I went to Austin and San Antonio for travel shows. I had free time to explore and I thought to myself these are cities I'd come back to on my own dime as I enjoyed spending time in both and they make a good combo trip. It was also my first impression of Texas itself so I overall appreciated it, and the food was mighty good.

My ex was from Dallas so we went there once. Dallas was OK, though not really a destination city to me. I was charmed by Fort Worth, if I went back to DFW I'd definitely prefer to have my hotel there instead. Sundance Square and the Stockyards were nice areas to walk around so I appreciated that.

So you may be catching on, I liked walking around Fort Worth, downtown Austin/Lady Bird Lake, and the Riverwalk area in San Antonio, but I hadn't seen an answer to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I'm sure Houston has great shopping and dining (like any big city), but are there interesting destination neighborhoods to visit that would leave me thinking, "yeah, only in Houston". Does it have nice walkable areas to explore (something I love to do when I visit cities), and a decent enough downtown?
You named some attractions outside or on the periphery of Houston but not enough to compel me to get on a plane and visit. Sure you got Galveston, but if I'm going to make an effort to get to a beach in Texas I'd rather go to South Padre Island.

And lastly I've been to El Paso more frequently for obvious reasons as it's only a 3-4 hour drive away. You could be right about Houston's geographical distance, it's definitely not within roadtripping range however I did get to DFW, Austin, and SA when I lived in Boston before I moved to New Mexico a few years ago. But yes the gap between I-25 in New Mexico and I-35 in Texas is something of a 9-11 hour range with sparsely little in between. And if I get on a plane to book a trip to Houston, I'm thinking...well I haven't been to New Orleans yet, I'd rather go there.

So I'm not intentionally avoiding Houston, though I'd prefer to go there on the company's dime though if I did. The biggest high note I can think of while visiting is international diversity and food, which is actually something I've picked up on here on C-D.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 05-06-2014 at 10:25 PM..

Old 05-06-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I don't think you get it - it doesn't matter. I'm a traveler. When I learn about somewhere new (if I didn't already know about it), and I really like it..then I may want to visit. And when I visit, I spend money. And when enough of people like me visit - it's good for you as a resident of that city with even more money flowing into your city. Hopefully you understand this.

The statue and monument are neat but not sure if I'd travel a long ways to see just those two. The tower is also OK but doesn't do it for me. I live in a city of a lot of skyscrapers and high rises so I think it would be cool to look at but not that long. How about good restaurants?
Again there are all kinds of iconic cities I have no desire to visit, but I doubt anybody would suggest that means there are no icons in those cities.

Restaurants ? We definitely have restaurants !

Not since 1992 when RDG + Bar Annie chef/owner Robert Del Grande was named Best Chef Southwest has a Houston chef been awarded that prestigious title. Underbelly chef Chris Shepherd won that award on Monday night in New York City, after having been nominated with fellow Houston chefs Hugo Ortega of Hugo's/Caracol and Justin Yu of Oxheart. This was a record year for the number of local competitors who made it to the finalists round; they were joined by Austin Barley Swine chef Bryce Gilmore.
Shepherd accepted the award with Underbelly sous chef Lyle Bento and ownership group Clumsy Butcher partners Bobby Heugel and Michael Burnett on stage. The chef said, "I'd like to thank the city of Houston for letting me be a part of it and showing our vision of the city through our food."

Shepherd Wins Best Chef Southwest at James Beard Awards - Awards Season - Eater Houston

There are 3 restaurants named in that article and they are all first rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City