U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area would you prefer to live in?
Erie, PA 21 72.41%
Utica, NY 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 08:21 PM

11,040 posts, read 13,420,671 times

Advertisements

Since there are only so many possible city vs. city matches between large metros, I thought it would be interesting to analyze small cities/metros!

Which metro area do you think is a better place to live? Erie, PA or Utica-Rome, NY?

I have been to both (during the winter) and they both generally appeared to be somewhat depressed, but the people in the Erie area were very friendly. Both metro area are approximately 300,000 in population size, and are both located in the northeast, although Erie may have a Midwestern touch.

For starters, I have compiled a list that I believe to be generally objective points about each metro area.

Erie
  • Adjacent to Lake Erie and provides a somewhat coastal feel to the area
  • Wegmans
  • Friendly people
  • Equidistant to some amazing cities like Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Cleveland
  • Exciting lake effect snow
  • Leans liberal with politics
  • Crime is high
Utica
  • Interesting topography and greenery
  • Not too far from Syracuse and Albany
  • Leans conservative with politics
  • Crime is high
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 02:55 AM

1,640 posts, read 1,916,267 times
IMO, the greatest similarity between these two cities among others (e.g., Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo) is their best days are very far behind them.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:15 AM
BMI

6,532 posts, read 3,828,095 times
I prefer Erie, PA

It's on lake Erie and has a nice lake front park.

Good location, easy to drive to Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Toronto.

Also no sales tax in PA.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:03 AM

52,809 posts, read 75,793,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Since there are only so many possible city vs. city matches between large metros, I thought it would be interesting to analyze small cities/metros!

Which metro area do you think is a better place to live? Erie, PA or Utica-Rome, NY?

I have been to both (during the winter) and they both generally appeared to be somewhat depressed, but the people in the Erie area were very friendly. Both metro area are approximately 300,000 in population size, and are both located in the northeast, although Erie may have a Midwestern touch.

For starters, I have compiled a list that I believe to be generally objective points about each metro area.

Erie
  • Adjacent to Lake Erie and provides a somewhat coastal feel to the area
  • Wegmans
  • Friendly people
  • Equidistant to some amazing cities like Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Cleveland
  • Exciting lake effect snow
  • Leans liberal with politics
  • Crime is high
Utica
  • Interesting topography and greenery
  • Not too far from Syracuse and Albany
  • Leans conservative with politics
  • Crime is high
Are we looking at the city themselves or the metro areas? If the city, I'd say that Utica is more moderate or leans "liberal". Crime in both metros isn't that high relatively speaking too. Utica has a pretty good food scene, especially if you like Italian and regional fare. Utica is close to the adirondack Mountains.

Both can be revived again, if people take an interest in both areas and see what is there. Those other cities are slowly, but surely seeing some revitalization as well.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:21 AM

12,999 posts, read 17,169,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I prefer Erie, PA

It's on lake Erie and has a nice lake front park.

Good location, easy to drive to Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Toronto.

Also no sales tax in PA.
CORRECTION: No sales tax on clothing, medicine or unprepared food in Pennsylvania. Everything else is subject to a base 6% sales tax, with some counties placing an additional sales tax on top per referendum.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:33 PM

11,040 posts, read 13,420,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are we looking at the city themselves or the metro areas? If the city, I'd say that Utica is more moderate or leans "liberal". Crime in both metros isn't that high relatively speaking too. Utica has a pretty good food scene, especially if you like Italian and regional fare. Utica is close to the adirondack Mountains.

Both can be revived again, if people take an interest in both areas and see what is there. Those other cities are slowly, but surely seeing some revitalization as well.
Oneida County went for Romney in 2012.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:22 PM

12,999 posts, read 17,169,232 times
Quote:
ALABAMAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Old 05-07-2014, 07:38 PM

4,278 posts, read 7,210,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Also no sales tax in PA.
Hm. Not sure where you may have heard that, but that's actually false. PA has a 6% sales tax (higher in some municipalities), although food and clothing is exempted.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:29 PM

52,809 posts, read 75,793,114 times
Quote:
So? While the area has its share of Republican representation, it isn't an area that is extremely one way or the other. Utica is probably more diverse than Erie and is known for its Bosnian and other refugee/immigrant communities. Very Italian area as well and Rome, a city of about 34,000, is another center city in the area.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:46 PM

31,262 posts, read 57,461,137 times
Erie has Lake Erie. No contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Utica is probably more diverse than Erie and is known for its Bosnian and other refugee/immigrant communities. Very Italian area as well
Both cities are similar in these areas. Erie also has a healthy refugee/immigrant population, thanks to its very well regarded International Institute. Lots of Italians, too ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City