U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-11-2014, 03:19 AM
 
266 posts, read 199,705 times
Reputation: 132

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
If people decide to live 25 miles outside of Atlanta, are we really expecting them to ride transit? In most cities around the globe, you're not going to find rail lines go out 20-25 miles from the city core.
No. That's not true at all. In most large metro areas, you can find rail lines 20, 25, and even 30 miles from the city core. Most cities that don't have rail that far out, is because they don't sprawl that far out to begin with. If there's no development 25 miles from the core, than there's no reason to have commuter rail out that far.

Atlanta and Houston sprawl way, way, way out, yet have no commuter rail to serve those far-flung suburbs. That is a rare situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2014, 08:40 AM
 
36 posts, read 55,923 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
There are improvemenes over 1 million. However I elect my hometown of Kansas City as the worst. It has been bad as long as I can remember, and after 34 years on this planet, it has only got slightly better. No real plans for a rail system, buses appear infeauent, almost never see a bus on the road, etc. I can't fathom any city having a worse public transit system. It's almost something you would expect out of a small town.
When did the city of Kansas City have 1 million people? There are probably only around 10 in the U.S. Out of those, the Sun Belt cities have the most room for improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2014, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Over-the-Rhine, Ohio
548 posts, read 650,758 times
Reputation: 644
I'm really not sure how Detroit is not at the top of this list. DDOT is absolutely deplorable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2014, 01:17 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,406 posts, read 18,247,604 times
Reputation: 11880
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_wu View Post
When did the city of Kansas City have 1 million people? There are probably only around 10 in the U.S. Out of those, the Sun Belt cities have the most room for improvement.
Did you read the OP's thread headline? It said metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2014, 01:29 PM
 
2,200 posts, read 2,307,376 times
Reputation: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
There are many US cities over 1 million. However I elect my hometown of Kansas City as the worst. It has been bad as long as I can remember, and after 34 years on this planet, it has only got slightly better. No real plans for a rail system, buses appear infeauent, almost never see a bus on the road, etc. I can't fathom any city having a worse public transit system. It's almost something you would expect out of a small town.
KC's transit is objectively bad. No argument. But its no worse than peers Cincinnati, Columbus and Jacksonville and its quite a bit better than peer Indianapolis. Buses in the core city are actual fairly frequent, with 10 minute headways or less on most of the major routes. And there are tenuous plans for a potentially extensive rail system of streetcars, to complement to the small downtown streetcar line that is currently under construction and is expected to open in late 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2014, 01:30 PM
 
2,200 posts, read 2,307,376 times
Reputation: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_wu View Post
When did the city of Kansas City have 1 million people? There are probably only around 10 in the U.S. Out of those, the Sun Belt cities have the most room for improvement.

I think he meant the metropolitan area, which is about 2 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2014, 02:11 PM
 
Location: The Left Toast
1,179 posts, read 1,437,427 times
Reputation: 849
Atlanta!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2014, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,149 posts, read 19,684,644 times
Reputation: 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan2 View Post
No. That's not true at all. In most large metro areas, you can find rail lines 20, 25, and even 30 miles from the city core. Most cities that don't have rail that far out, is because they don't sprawl that far out to begin with. If there's no development 25 miles from the core, than there's no reason to have commuter rail out that far.

Atlanta and Houston sprawl way, way, way out, yet have no commuter rail to serve those far-flung suburbs. That is a rare situation.
Not when those burbs look like the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2014, 04:43 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
22,811 posts, read 34,855,627 times
Reputation: 14949
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
Atlanta!
Oh, please. Not by a long shot. Why do people continue to speak out on subjects that they know little to nothing about.? I'll never understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2014, 05:10 PM
 
112 posts, read 107,039 times
Reputation: 36
For being a so called urban city, Seattle's PT especially rail is lacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top