U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:31 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I've never explored Dallas but don't they have commuter rail trying to imitate light-rail, all the while having no light-rail? If so, that doesn't sound impressive.
So you really don't know much about the transit systems in these cities do you??

Dallas had DART, which is a rather extensive full blown light rail system (much of it operates similar to heavy rail in dedicated right of way) as well as TRE commuter rail which connect Dallas to Fort Worth.

I'm not saying Dallas has an amazing transit system, I'm saying that they have built up quite a system in just the past decade or so and what Dallas has now is considerably more comprehensive than what Houston has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDenizen View Post
There's no way KC can have a worse transit system than OKC, which I believe has over 1 million people. IIRC, OKC's transit system shuts down before 8pm, and I don't think runs at all on Sundays. That might be ok for a metro of 100,000, but not for a metro of 1 million.
OKC is WAY worse than KC. Not even close. OKC daily ridership is lucky to hit 10k a day. KCATA and suburban transit JO hits 55-60k a day. I wouldn't call KC's transit system robust or comprehensive by any stretch of the imagination, but compared to OKC, it may as well be boston.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:37 PM

4,318 posts, read 4,830,690 times
Quote:
There's no way KC can have a worse transit system than OKC, which I believe has over 1 million people. IIRC, OKC's transit system shuts down before 8pm, and I don't think runs at all on Sundays. That might be ok for a metro of 100,000, but not for a metro of 1 million.

Ouch!

Old 05-06-2014, 10:40 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,902,249 times
The TRE is a heavy commuter rail between Dallas and Fort Worth. It isn't up for debate on which city in Texas has the better transit network though DART could work in ridership. The line to Denton is the light rail commuter system.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:43 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,902,249 times
Quote:
Wow. Closes at 8. I heard they do have proposals though so maybe it will get better soon. Not running on Sunday though. What is that all about.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:46 PM

13,976 posts, read 18,695,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
So you really don't know much about the transit systems in these cities do you??

Dallas had DART, which is a rather extensive full blown light rail system (much of it operates similar to heavy rail in dedicated right of way) as well as TRE commuter rail which connect Dallas to Fort Worth.

I'm not saying Dallas has an amazing transit system, I'm saying that they have built up quite a system in just the past decade or so and what Dallas has now is considerably more comprehensive than what Houston has.
Yes I know Houston, I already said I don't know Dallas. I've always been aware that Dallas had a more extensive system, although I've heard that it was built incorrectly that leads to some issues with user interaction.

Ahh there's what I was talking about. Light-rail that operates like heavy rail, while it's better than what Houston has at the moment, it sounds like a slight waste of money. Do the lines operate as heavy rail with less capacity?

Old 05-06-2014, 10:48 PM

8,385 posts, read 9,945,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Didn't Philly is about to connect to KOP. That's pretty interesting to know, sounds similar to the Silver Line connecting to Tyson's Corner.
It should be a nice addition to the Norristown High Speedline. King of Prussia is a huge employment center and having rail service there would definitely be a great for commuters.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The TRE is a heavy commuter rail between Dallas and Fort Worth. It isn't up for debate on which city in Texas has the better transit network though DART could work in ridership. The line to Denton is the light rail commuter system.
Does a light-rail to Denton serve a purpose? Sounds about as useful as a light rail to Katy or The Woodlands.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Yes I know Houston, I already said I don't know Dallas. I've always been aware that Dallas had a more extensive system, although I've heard that it was built incorrectly that leads to some issues with user interaction.

Ahh there's what I was talking about. Light-rail that operates like heavy rail, while it's better than what Houston has at the moment, it sounds like a slight waste of money. Do the lines operate as heavy rail with less capacity?
I think that's just one line. I think Dallas light rail has over 85 miles of track and for that much track, it should probably have more ridership than it does (I think around 200k a day). But still, I think they have come a long way and maybe all the investment in transit will start to pay off with more TOD in the suburbs and higher ridership. For a city built around freeways and a city still constantly expanding and building new freeways, I think what metro Dallas has done has been pretty impressive to get the ridership they are getting.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I think that's just one line. I think Dallas light rail has over 85 miles of track and for that much track, it should probably have more ridership than it does (I think around 200k a day). But still, I think they have come a long way and maybe all the investment in transit will start to pay off with more TOD in the suburbs and higher ridership. For a city built around freeways and a city still constantly expanding and building new freeways, I think what metro Dallas has done has been pretty impressive to get the ridership they are getting.
Good news, hopefully Houston gets on board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or