U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 01:56 PM

4,348 posts, read 6,934,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Los Angeles doesn't belong on this list. It has a top 10 system in this country, and arguably just outside the top 5. Yes it should be better for a world class city but still really is far from the worst over 1 million. And as you note it is rapidly improving.
I never said it was "rapidly" improving. I said it was improving. Period.

For a city the size of gigantic Los Angeles, it should have a transit system MUCH better than what it is. I'm holding to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 02:07 PM
JJG

12,921 posts, read 18,423,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't think that's correct. They were still doing construction in downtown last time I checked. When did they open?
They were finishing up testing last I saw and that was a couple months ago.

Look, Houston doesn't have the best transit when it comes to Rail, but they're definitely working on it and should be up to speed soon. Certainly better than what my city is doing with rail...although sadly, that's not saying much.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:27 PM

2,252 posts, read 2,453,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
There are so many cities with worse public transit than Miami. The metro mover is nice, so is the metro rail. I have no problems getting around the city when I don't feel like using my car.
Yeah, just the fact that Miami's airport is connected by rapid rail to downtown (and soon to be connected to commuter rail as well) - which is an amenity not many US cities have -- disqualifies Miami from consideration for this thread.

If they build a rail link between Downtown and South Beach (which I understand is currently under consideration) it would take Miami to another level.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:53 PM

6,846 posts, read 12,403,845 times
So are we only talking about rail? The OP seemed to have mentioned all forms of public transportation. If we are talking about all forms of transportation I'd say Houston isn't doing too bad. We do have a very extensive bus system as well as an incredibly popular Park and Ride.

Houston and cities like it could have an extensive rail system but that doesn't mean people would use it. Most people here were raised in the car culture and wouldn't dream of giving that up to start using rail on a daily basis. Even with the awful traffic people here are devoted to their cars and that's not going to change.

Considering how huge the city limits are I don't even think it's smart for the city to build rail that could truly serve everyone because it would be just too expensive. Houston is like 600 sq miles. Providing the rail needed to serve that size of an area would be an almost impossible task.

The best Houston could hope for is getting rail in the remaining business districts that don't currently have it like Uptown, Greenway Plaza, Greenspoint, Energy Corridor, and Westchase. If that was to happen would the majority of Houstonians give up their cars and start using rail? Not likely. Which is why rail won't grow tremendously here but instead slowly in the parts of town with the least amount of resistance. Houston has several pockets of rich people who can't stand anything urban going through their community so I doubt we will ever see much rail on the western half of the city. But the east, south, and north will get rail going sooner rather than later.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:36 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,595,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Yeah, just the fact that Miami's airport is connected by rapid rail to downtown (and soon to be connected to commuter rail as well) - which is an amenity not many US cities have -- disqualifies Miami from consideration for this thread.

If they build a rail link between Downtown and South Beach (which I understand is currently under consideration) it would take Miami to another level.
Then why are so many considering Atlanta as part of this thread when MARTA connects the airport to all 4 major business districts in Atlanta: Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, and Perimeter?

I swear if Atlanta was a denser city, more people would say Atlanta has good transit.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:41 PM

273 posts, read 328,826 times
Columbus, Ohio.

Oh, how this city would improve with more rail/transit options

Old 05-07-2014, 04:08 PM

11,543 posts, read 17,901,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post

...and DecoBike is supposed to be expanding off the beach onto the mainland soon. Don't discount the green transportation options!

Old 05-07-2014, 04:09 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,971,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I would go with Miami. Public transit in that city and metro area is bad.

Considering it's growing pretty fast and can be considered a World Class city, it's severely lacking when it comes to mass transit. Especially when compared to cities like Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco and Washington, DC.
While Miami isn't great, its far from being the worst. Miami metro rail hits every major place of interest in mainland Miami-dade County. And the people mover takes you all over downtown.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:32 PM

8,386 posts, read 9,958,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
While Miami isn't great, its far from being the worst. Miami metro rail hits every major place of interest in mainland Miami-dade County. And the people mover takes you all over downtown.
Miami transit is about average for American standards but below average for a metro of its size.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:52 PM

18,229 posts, read 25,925,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
They were finishing up testing last I saw and that was a couple months ago.

Look, Houston doesn't have the best transit when it comes to Rail, but they're definitely working on it and should be up to speed soon. Certainly better than what my city is doing with rail...although sadly, that's not saying much.
Nah, they are still testing. They haven't finished downtown yet. I think it has about four more months, though. I still think Houston needs an East West line that will run towards River Oaks and the Galleria. But.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or