U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 03:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,770 posts, read 39,868,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Noticed I didn't say that it was the worst.
Except that what the thread topic is. Why do people keep talking about ones that aren't the worst on this thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 03:26 PM

6,846 posts, read 12,442,919 times
Why are we still only talking about rail?

There are other public transportation options.

This forum is just so obsessed with rail.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:38 PM

8,390 posts, read 10,002,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Why are we still only talking about rail?

There are other public transportation options.

This forum is just so obsessed with rail.
Whether you like it or not, rail is an important factor when it comes to comparing transportation between cities. Pretty much every major city has bus service.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:59 PM

5,259 posts, read 5,623,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
No, you just aren't aware of how the system works.

There are two MARTA lines that feed in to the Airport. The last Gold line train leaves the Airport station at 1:18 am. You might have been confused by how the Red Line only runs service from Lindbergh north to North Springs from 9pm to 130 am. The Red and Gold lines share all the stations between Lindbergh and Airport during the day, after 9, people wanting to take the Red Line just need to take a Gold line train to Lindbergh and transfer.
I definitely see now. I was wrong! I can't believe my coworkers didn't explain that to me.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Whether you like it or not, rail is an important factor when it comes to comparing transportation between cities. Pretty much every major city has bus service.
Some have far more useful bus service than others. Coverage and frequency-wise, for example.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:25 PM

18,264 posts, read 26,028,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
A British friend who visited Nashville thought the lack of sidewalks in the city itself not in a low density suburban area suggested poverty (it was in a poor area).
Seems to be a Southern thing. I don't understand why neighborhoods are built without sidewalks. This is evident in Houston in many poor areas as well.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Seems to be a Southern thing. I don't understand why neighborhoods are built without sidewalks. This is evident in Houston in many poor areas as well.
It's common in the Northeast in outer suburbs, especially on small residential streets.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:47 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,624,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Noticed I didn't say that it was the worst.

From my experience working out of that market rail service stops servicing the airport before 10pm.

There seems to be a larger gap between trains now vs 10 years ago. Waiting for a train from downtown for 15min. At 8pm isn't good service.

For hrt, it's barely mediocre. Definitely not world class. But definitely better than some.
The fact that there is HRT means that Atlanta is instantly out of the conversation for this thread. Yeah it might not be great but there are lots of cities over 1 million without any rail and infrequent / poor coverage bus service.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:50 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,624,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's common in the Northeast in outer suburbs, especially on small residential streets.
There are some neighborhoods in the San Fernando Valley that lack sidewalks. Here, it is not that they are poor neighborhoods but that when they were built they were intended to have a rural / ranch aesthetic.

OT:
Interestingly, some of the sprawliest suburbs of Southern California have decent sized sidewalks and tons of bike lanes. It is kind of ironic considering the most urban parts of Southern CA often have such a hard time getting them retrofitted into the infrastructure.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:05 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,629,452 times
Atlanta service is improving this month. I know the transit agency is doing much better now than it was a couple of years back and it's seriously on the up and up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or