U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2014, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Salinas, CA
13,542 posts, read 4,438,086 times
Reputation: 6997

Advertisements

Thanks for clarifying. Chicagoans down a lot of hot dogs and deep dish pizzas annually too. LOL except I am not kidding. Just thought I would share that Minnesota leads the nation in life expectancy despite the less than ideal diet you mentioned. There are far more organic eateries in the TC these days than in the past and several grocery coops have been there quite awhile (will spare you a long list unless you want it), so someone is keeping them in business. It is true that burgers are still popular in Minneapolis.

[url]www.kare11.com/video/2149786693001/1/MN-leads-nation-in-life-expectancy

This is a losing battle and I backed it up with facts on two posts now. Now the thread should be re-directed back to fashion. Chicago has a much better chance of being better at fashion than fitness vs. Minneapolis IMO.

I would guess Chicago is actually a little better fashion-wise. Back to fashion...any more fitness talk and one of us should do a separate thread. Neither of us brought it up first though. LOL.

Last edited by chessgeek; 05-27-2014 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2014, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,304 posts, read 17,979,532 times
Reputation: 6257
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Thanks for clarifying. Chicagoans down a lot of hot dogs and deep dish pizzas annually too. LOL except I am not kidding.
This is a stereotype that isn't terribly true anyway and it's one that actually angers me to see brought up. Somehow people think that the city is just a bunch of ****, greasy pizza, hot dogs, etc. While yes you can get some here, the normal resident of the city doesn't eat these things very often. Some people might, but I'd bet you the average person does not. It's actually a shame that's what people like you know the city for, considering it's a city full of pretty much any food you can think of from around the world, and one of only 3 cities in the US to have a Michelin Dining Guide (NYC and SF are the other two).

Deep dish pizza is far more popular with tourists than a normal resident of the city. Go to any pizza place downtown and it's almost all tourists. So many are in the camp that they eat deep dish 0-2 times a year. The only time I do is when there's a visitor in from out of town and that's what they want, or someone at work orders it and it's free to me. Otherwise, I could hardly give a **** less, and you'll find many people like that. Hot dogs - much the same though maybe slightly more popular amongst locals than deep dish pizza is. Not to mention that the Chicago style thin crust pizza is more popular in many neighborhoods and you can even get plenty of that at the typical deep dish places.

Mexican food is popular for obvious reasons too - even in the white yuppified neighborhoods like Lincoln Park and Lakeview you can find fairly legitimate tacquerias open until 2am-5am every night. Go to a place like Taco & Burrito Palace in Boystown when the bars let out and you'll see a line out the door for it. You can also step into a sushi/thai place not far away open until 4am every night that will be busy with drunk people getting sushi at 3am.

It really depends on the neighborhood, but if you think this about Chicago then you clearly don't know that much. And before we write off that this has nothing to do with fashion - it does. Obviously you don't have to be thin/muscular/fit to be fashionable, and cut is very important for clothing, but body shape can greatly enhance things. Sometimes even only half way fashionable clothing can look more fashionable if the person wearing it is in better shape.

Quote:
Just thought I would share that Minnesota leads the nation in life expectancy despite the less than ideal diet you mentioned. There are far more organic eateries in the TC these days than in the past and several grocery coops have been there quite awhile (will spare you a long list unless you want it), so someone is keeping them in business. It is true that burgers are still popular in Minneapolis.
Life expectancy is a tough one, but you should know that genetics has a huge amount to do with how long you will live, just as lifestyle does. Obviously you can mess up your chances by eating utterly terribly, but it's genetics. My grandma ate really poorly the last 20+ years of her life and still lived until she was 95. I have a friend whos grandmother lived until 97, who never excercised and smoked a pack a day. On the flip side, my grandpa was VERY fit, and very healthy, and still died of a heart attack when he was 72 even though he never ate poorly and always had an extremely balanced diet and did exercise. Genetics plays a huge role in all of this.

Live Long and Proper: Genetic Factors Associated with Increased Longevity Identified - Scientific American

Quote:
This is a losing battle and I backed it up with facts on two posts now. Now the thread should be re-directed back to fashion. Chicago has a much better chance of being better at fashion than fitness vs. Minneapolis IMO.

I would guess Chicago is actually a little better fashion-wise. Back to fashion...any more fitness talk and one of us should do a separate thread. Neither of us brought it up first though. LOL.
Yes...

Last edited by marothisu; 05-27-2014 at 10:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 09:54 PM
 
Location: Maryland
3,935 posts, read 5,066,874 times
Reputation: 4191
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Actually this is a stereotype that isn't that true. Deep dish pizza is more popular with tourists and a normal person in the city would eat deep dish probably 0-2 times per year for real. Sometimes more, but on average, not much.
It's so true. Just about the only time I eat deep dish is when my friends from elsewhere in the Midwest (WI, MN, and MI mostly) want to eat it when they are here visiting from out of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,304 posts, read 17,979,532 times
Reputation: 6257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
It's so true. Just about the only time I eat deep dish is when my friends from elsewhere in the Midwest (WI, MN, and MI mostly) want to eat it when they are here visiting from out of town.
The funny thing is that a few times a year, someone at my office orders pizza for a bunch of people. She's clueless and most people will eat it, but aren't super excited about it. About 7 thin crust pizzas are ordered and maybe 1 or 2 deep dish pizzas are ordered. Most of the thin crust is always eaten, and the deep dish is always 1/2 or 2/3 uneaten. Most people completely skip it and even at that, they'll have just a few small slices of thin crust. We have fruit and vegetable trays every week in the office, and both are completely taken within a few hours of the start of work. We also have energy bars and bottled water which is constantly being re-ordered because it goes fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 12:59 AM
 
Location: Salinas, CA
13,542 posts, read 4,438,086 times
Reputation: 6997
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is a stereotype that isn't terribly true anyway and it's one that actually angers me to see brought up. Somehow people think that the city is just a bunch of ****, greasy pizza, hot dogs, etc. While yes you can get some here, the normal resident of the city doesn't eat these things very often. Some people might, but I'd bet you the average person does not. It's actually a shame that's what people like you know the city for, considering it's a city full of pretty much any food you can think of from around the world, and one of only 3 cities in the US to have a Michelin Dining Guide (NYC and SF are the other two).

Deep dish pizza is far more popular with tourists than a normal resident of the city. Go to any pizza place downtown and it's almost all tourists. So many are in the camp that they eat deep dish 0-2 times a year. The only time I do is when there's a visitor in from out of town and that's what they want, or someone at work orders it and it's free to me. Otherwise, I could hardly give a **** less, and you'll find many people like that. Hot dogs - much the same though maybe slightly more popular amongst locals than deep dish pizza is. Not to mention that the Chicago style thin crust pizza is more popular in many neighborhoods and you can even get plenty of that at the typical deep dish places.

Mexican food is popular for obvious reasons too - even in the white yuppified neighborhoods like Lincoln Park and Lakeview you can find fairly legitimate tacquerias open until 2am-5am every night. Go to a place like Taco & Burrito Palace in Boystown when the bars let out and you'll see a line out the door for it. You can also step into a sushi/thai place not far away open until 4am every night that will be busy with drunk people getting sushi at 3am.

It really depends on the neighborhood, but if you think this about Chicago then you clearly don't know that much. And before we write off that this has nothing to do with fashion - it does. Obviously you don't have to be thin/muscular/fit to be fashionable, and cut is very important for clothing, but body shape can greatly enhance things. Sometimes even only half way fashionable clothing can look more fashionable if the person wearing it is in better shape.

Life expectancy is a tough one, but you should know that genetics has a huge amount to do with how long you will live, just as lifestyle does. Obviously you can mess up your chances by eating utterly terribly, but it's genetics. My grandma ate really poorly the last 20+ years of her life and still lived until she was 95. I have a friend whos grandmother lived until 97, who never excercised and smoked a pack a day. On the flip side, my grandpa was VERY fit, and very healthy, and still died of a heart attack when he was 72 even though he never ate poorly and always had an extremely balanced diet and did exercise. Genetics plays a huge role in all of this.

Live Long and Proper: Genetic Factors Associated with Increased Longevity Identified - Scientific American

Yes...
I never said pizza and hot dogs were the ONLY foods eaten in Chicago. Chicago is a large city with great cuisine variety of course. Minneapolis has a far greater variety of food than you mentioned too. I never said Chicago did not have other foods; just mentioning these as being in abundance. Chicagoans, both famous and not so famous, have promoted these two foods for the longest time, so they have to take some responsibility and they have not disappeared from the scene. You mentioned unhealthy foods Minnesotans ate without mentioning fish like Walleye, wild rice, raspberries, organic foods, etc, so only fair to mention Chicago's less healthy foods, too. Why is that a problem? Fair is fair. No one is a victim here. I am just responding in a similar fashion as you did about Minneapolis. If you dish it out, you have to take it (whether deep dish or thin crust...LOL).

Why are you angry when those foods are mentioned for Chicago, but perfectly OK for you to mention it about Minneapolis? BTW, you used the word "greasy". I did not use that word. I never used derogatory terms to describe Chicagoans so please stop putting words in my mouth. What is good for the goose is good for the gander, Marothisu.

Tourists by themselves won't keep those pizza places open during the long winters because they are far fewer then. Chicago residents eat at those places. You may not that often, but you are just one of over 3 million in the city proper. Those taquerias serving food between 2 and 5 am would likely increase people's weight, not reduce it.

I could trot out more lists and data(and there is plenty) showing Twin Citians/Minnesotans as generally healthier than Chicagoans/Illinois residents and you would just dismiss and rationalize those too. Here is one last attempt which you will also dismiss. Obesity rate for MN from data in a study between 2008-2010: 25.3% was lower than 37 other states. IL obesity rate: 27.7% was lower than 22 other states.

F as in Fat 2011 Illinois Press Release.

One individual living into their 90's despite poor diet does not nullify a general trend. Why would Minnesotans have far better genetics? Let's not discuss further. There are a few exceptions for everything. LOL.

Some people are just too stubborn to accept facts. You are bound and determined to be dismissive of anything positive about Minneapolis and Minnesota even after seeing factual data and you look the other way if Chicago is proven not the best at something. It is obvious to anyone else reading, too.

At least I had the class to end by saying Chicago probably is more fashionable than Minneapolis. Other posters will have better comments and information regarding fashion than me.

I have provided facts and data and that is all I can do. You can ignore and dismiss them. I'll bet the other posters will value them. That is the reality. It does not change the fact that they are facts.

Chicago is still a great city, but please deal with the fact it is not better in regards to fitness/health. It is stellar in a lot of other ways, but in this area it is not the best; not even in the Midwest. Do we have to say it is perfect to satisfy you?

You don't like to admit when you are wrong and it is obvious. It is as simple as that. Would it help if you got an apology for the RonnieJonez comment (post #62)? You could ask him, but do not know if he is still viewing the thread or not. I think that is what set you off and may still be bothering you. Otherwise, it is less likely you would be in denial and may have accepted my facts and data and we could have been done with this.

Final comment. Please discuss fashion now with the other posters.

Last edited by chessgeek; 05-28-2014 at 02:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 01:12 AM
 
Location: Salinas, CA
13,542 posts, read 4,438,086 times
Reputation: 6997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
It's so true. Just about the only time I eat deep dish is when my friends from elsewhere in the Midwest (WI, MN, and MI mostly) want to eat it when they are here visiting from out of town.
How do those places stay open in the winter when few people visit? I don't think people in those states can keep both their own pizzerias and Chicago's open all by themselves. Do they visit that often? You and Marothisu are just two people. You may not be representative of most Chicagoans. Twin Citians are a little fitter and healthier on average. Chicago is not the best in this area, but it is not the worst either.

Now discuss fashion please. Thank you. (Last comment by me on this thread and sincerely mean it this time).

Last edited by chessgeek; 05-28-2014 at 02:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2014, 10:13 AM
 
145 posts, read 110,938 times
Reputation: 107
On raw numbers I would have to go with Chicago. In terms of per capita it's Minneapolis by the slightest of margins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2016, 12:32 PM
 
3 posts, read 725 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
They're both filled with conservatively-dressed Midwesterners, but Minneapolis has proportionately more "alternative-type" dressed people. Both are Middle American in fashion tastes which in other words is a little behind the times and a little fuddy-duddy.
Wow I know this a really old threat but it's amazing to see people try to comment on something they know very little about. I was born in St. Paul and was raised in Minneapolis. I am 38 and live outside Chicago. I moved here when I was 29 and I'm very homesick. For most of my life there I explored every aspect and facet of that city and still don't know everything. The vast diversity, fashion, technology, schools, nightlife, and outdoors can't possibly be comprehended in a few trips there, and a mere visit. 29 years and I still haven't seen it all. It is a fantastic place to visit and even better to live there, and is by far an very underrated city. So to all the people who've visited and claim to know the city, you only know the tip, and to those of you who love it....HI 5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2016, 12:39 PM
 
3 posts, read 725 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Chicago out of the two.

Minneapolis isn't even on the fashion radar.
That's what you think dude. Minneapolis is one of THE most underrated city's in the Midwest. I lived there for 29 years from birth til then now I live outside Chicago and still feel Minneapolis is far better. Just because you read what's trending today or this year doesn't mean it's accurate. And for those who visit briefly, still can't grasp what's what. Stop reading and following trends and maybe live there for awhile. You live in Texas, you can't even begin to know what that city is all about. Just because I've been to D/FW or Houston, and read something about it, doesn't make me knowledgeable about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2016, 12:46 PM
 
3 posts, read 725 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisztián View Post
How people dress in Chicago and how in Minneapolis?
People are with the times in Minneapolis. People are just going off of what trendy mag they're reading or what some fashion website says. It is a smaller city city that Chicago, but is far more diverse and all around better city to visit and to live in. I was born and raised there and lived there until I was 29 and I love that city. It IS in fact THE healthier city, and far more technologically advanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top