Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 01:39 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,207 times

Advertisements

They're both filled with conservatively-dressed Midwesterners, but Minneapolis has proportionately more "alternative-type" dressed people. Both are Middle American in fashion tastes which in other words is a little behind the times and a little fuddy-duddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 05:31 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
They're both filled with conservatively-dressed Midwesterners, but Minneapolis has proportionately more "alternative-type" dressed people. Both are Middle American in fashion tastes which in other words is a little behind the times and a little fuddy-duddy.
Really? How do you know this? What is Middle-American fashion taste? Just hoping you can inform me. When someone in Chicago shops at Neiman Marcus, Saks, etc., do they find the stores are being stocked with mid-west fuddy-duddy clothes?

Old 05-12-2014, 10:11 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Really? How do you know this? What is Middle-American fashion taste? Just hoping you can inform me. ?
"Middle American fashion" is an oxymoron.

Very silly but check out the costume idea "Alien Tourist" of American Apparel

American Apparel’s Halloween 2012 Costume Ideas | Los Angeles, I'm Yours

Old 05-12-2014, 10:49 AM

2,495 posts, read 3,367,906 times
Quote:
so are you saying people that dress conservatively are lacking in fashion? I suggest you are in need of a visit to Switzerland.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:28 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,199,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
so are you saying people that dress conservatively are lacking in fashion? I suggest you are in need of a visit to Switzerland.
Agreed. I never realized how flamboyantly Americans dressed until I went to Europe.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:48 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,668 times
^ truth

Old 05-12-2014, 12:17 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,058 times
Quote:
Aren't you the same person who claimed that he knows absolutely nothing about Midwestern cities back in the "What cities would you not excuse someone of not hearing of before" thread? That clear lack of knowledge is evident here, I'm afraid. I'm fairly certain you're imagining some sort of cartoonish 1990s stereotype of the Midwest as a whole that does not match reality. Landlocked does not necessarily equal "behind the times", especially in heavily creative-class Midwestern metros such as the Twin Cities and Chicago.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:17 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Aren't you the same person who claimed that he knows absolutely nothing about Midwestern cities back in the "What cities would you not excuse someone of not hearing of before" thread? That clear lack of knowledge is evident here, I'm afraid. I'm fairly certain you're imagining some sort of cartoonish 1990s stereotype of the Midwest as a whole that does not match reality. Landlocked does not necessarily equal "behind the times", especially in heavily creative-class Midwestern metros such as the Twin Cities and Chicago.
100% agreed - both cities have changed a bit too since the early 90s and even the late 90s/early 2000s versus today.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:46 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
The issue that Chicago has over Minneapolis however, is that Chicago has large swaths of the city where staunch machismo dominates and can discourage men from taking fashion risks. Minneapolis being a much smaller city where hipsters and gays can be found throughout the city, can have an effect on your average straight dude taking a fashion risk because it just integrates itself into the culture.
Minneapolis is 55 square miles, which is basically like the central area of Chicago and over to Pilson, near west, the hispter areas northwest of downtown and then along the north lakefront. That area of Chicago is probably going to be the most fashionable on many different levels, and is larger than Minneapolis in square miles and has multiple times the population.

It gets to be apples to oranges due to the large differences in square miles and the actual populations we're talking about. Get out of the fairly small core in Minneapolis and you have the mile after mile of suburbs with fairly "midwestern" people if that's even a thing.

I've been to Minn a lot and live in Chicago. They both have fashion and they both have dull dressed, etc. Like most anywhere. The people look fairly similar except for Chicago's increased diversity of the population. All that said, I would say Chicago has more fashion just based on the fact the sheet number of people living in the downtown areas, Hyde Park, hipsterville, the north lakefront, etc. overwhelm the amount of people in Minneapolis' more fashion-conscious areas.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:01 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,412 times
While this might be a simple way of looking at it, outside each cities respective hipster neighrborhoods, a guy above 24 is going to encounter more stares doing the "jeans in boots/high tops" in Chicago than in Minneapolis. When a younger guy does it, it's just seen as one of those things that young people do opposed to a current trend at the moment by the status quo.

Neither are LA, where this sort of thing is normal and no one thinks twice about it, but Minneapolis is closer to it.

Last edited by tollfree; 05-12-2014 at 09:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City