Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 10:24 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm surprised Washington, D.C., New Orleans, and Miami are not on there. The cultural influence of Nashville and Memphis are also larger than the cities size may suggest though I really don't understand why country music isn't more popular internationally.
New Orleans and Memphis are definitely outsized cultural powerhouses in the US but they don't have the international branding or recognition that the other cities on the list do... and they're going up against foreign cities like London, Tokyo, Paris, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 11:17 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
When are people going to accept the fact that Atlanta is a world-class global city that is recognized around the world?! It hosted a Summer Olympics for god's sake!!!!!

Old 05-10-2014, 11:23 PM

409 posts, read 587,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
When are people going to accept the fact that Atlanta is a world-class global city that is recognized around the world?! It hosted a Summer Olympics for god's sake!!!!!
You define a "world class global city" on whether they hosted a sporting event decades ago?

I guess St. Louis, Antwerp, and Helsinki are "world class global cities" because they hosted the Summer Olympics?

Old 05-10-2014, 11:29 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,735 times
Atlanta is not World Class at this time due to lack of a cosmopolitan vibe and not at the forefront of the culinary scene in the US. Though if any city from the sunbelt does emerge in that realm it will be Atlanta.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:40 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Atlanta is not World Class at this time due to lack of a cosmopolitan vibe and not at the forefront of the culinary scene in the US. Though if any city from the sunbelt does emerge in that realm it will be Atlanta.
I would include Miami in there as well.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:45 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
This. Atlanta could be world class by 2030 or 2035, but it's still not. I don't get a diverse, cosmopolitan vibe at all here. It's just black and white.

I really feel like there are only 4 or 5 true world class cities in the country.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:01 AM

62 posts, read 68,418 times
I'm guessing D.C. is not on the list because it is not very well liked around the world. Hated is more like it.

People in the Amazon Jungle have heard of Vegas. They may have heard of Disney, but that doesn't mean anyone knows what Orlando is.

Atlanta is obviously well known around the world mainly because of the Olympics.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:36 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
according to the article in the OP:

Quote:
If only it didn't rain quite so much, San Francisco might be able to take on the really big guns.
What kind of garbage is this? SF only gets 23 inches of rain per year, almost all of it in the winter. The summer usually gets absolutely no rain at all...that's how it is when you have a Mediterranean climate. And out of the 7 cities above SF on the list (LA, NYC, London, Paris, Seoul, Barcelona, Rio), only LA gets less rainfall than SF (London actually gets 0.36 fewer inches than SF, but also has 37 more rainy days per year than SF, and has no rain-free months like SF). Yet somehow SF is too rainy? Makes you wonder if the guardian actually did any research...this isn't the first time I've seen them make wildly inaccurate claims about SF in their articles, so I'm sure they make BS claims about other cities too.

Quote:
They probably don't know the difference between fog and rain. If the marine layer is thick enough, it will have a constant mist/drizzle. But that is more pronounced in the western half of the city.
Yeah, but that's not rain, and the fog usually isn't that thick anyways. I think the author of that Guardian article has only seen "San Francisco" as portrayed by Vancouver in the movies or something and clearly didn't even bother to take 5 minutes to compare climate data on Wikipedia.

Last edited by rah; 05-11-2014 at 09:45 AM..

Old 05-11-2014, 10:24 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
This. Atlanta could be world class by 2030 or 2035, but it's still not. I don't get a diverse, cosmopolitan vibe at all here. It's just black and white.

I really feel like there are only 4 or 5 true world class cities in the country.
Is tokyo not.cosmopolitan because its not diverse either

Old 05-11-2014, 11:09 AM

489 posts, read 911,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggah View Post
Winter Olympics >>Summer Olympics according to you?
Is that what I said?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City