U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2014, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,458 posts, read 7,266,049 times
Reputation: 4205

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
We were talking about ATL vs LA but then the whole state of GA got brought up for some reason. I know ATL is near a river and there are lakes nearby, but ATL is pretty landlocked. I personally didn't have any problem with it, but sometimes you just want to go to the beach when it get's hot on a whim. I'm interested in hearing about the GA coastal resorts as I have never been to any of them. LA has some great ones too...Basically the entire Southern Californian Coast, Big Bear for Skiing, Palm Springs, Las Vegas, Santa Barbara. TJ, Roserito, Ensenada are only 3 hours away too if you want to drive to Mexico.
I understand the argument that we can't go to the beach on a whim for a daytrip. That is fair enough.

Land-locked is typically a term reserved for places that have no access at all or must go through another state of country to access a port or another country. In other words we have our own connections and control our own fate.

It is about 3-6 hours to a beach here depending which one you choose to go to. The great thing is that includes the Gulf, the Florida Panhandle, Georgia's barrier islands, South Carolina, and North Carolina's beaches. We have a pretty good variety for vacations. Its not like we are Kansas City or Denver.

I don't doubt the access to Pacific coast you guys have at all. I was just taken back by Georgia being land-locked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2014, 10:08 PM
 
6,795 posts, read 6,598,775 times
Reputation: 5411
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I understand the argument that we can't go to the beach on a whim for a daytrip. That is fair enough.

Land-locked is typically a term reserved for places that have no access at all or must go through another state of country to access a port or another country. In other words we have our own connections and control our own fate.

It is about 3-6 hours to a beach here depending which one you choose to go to. The great thing is that includes the Gulf, the Florida Panhandle, Georgia's barrier islands, South Carolina, and North Carolina's beaches. We have a pretty good variety for vacations. Its not like we are Kansas City or Denver.

I don't doubt the access to Pacific coast you guys have at all. I was just taken back by Georgia being land-locked.
Land-locked simply means the city isn't near a body of water. Atlanta isn't near the coast so it's landlocked.

But if that's a problem, than a city like Paris would be landlocked too. It's just centered on a river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2014, 02:23 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,293 posts, read 11,710,557 times
Reputation: 4754
Atlanta, World Capital of Hip Hop
What happened to NYC and LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2014, 04:45 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
715 posts, read 791,193 times
Reputation: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Atlanta, World Capital of Hip Hop
What happened to NYC and LA?
Outkast, GoodieMOb, Kilo Ali, T.I., Ludacris, Young Jeezy and nem pushed all those other rappers out the game... and rightfully so.



Times have changed. New York and LA can't, ain't, and won't dominate like they did 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2014, 08:44 AM
 
14,007 posts, read 21,978,036 times
Reputation: 4087
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Outkast, GoodieMOb, Kilo Ali, T.I., Ludacris, Young Jeezy and nem pushed all those other rappers out the game... and rightfully so.



Times have changed. New York and LA can't, ain't, and won't dominate like they did 20 years ago.
I don't know. 6yrs ago ATL might have been the "world capital of hip-hop", but today no one city really dominates. The closest cities in which multiple new school rappers are coming with underground and mainstream label hype, are LA and Chicago. TDE(westcoast) with Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q, Jay Rock, and Ab Soul. Then there's other westcoast rappers like TY dolls sign, YG, and westcoast producer DJ Mustard running the radio. Then there's Bay Area hype like Iamsu. Then there's the whole"drill" scene in Chicago. Chicago "drill" music is basically a derivative of Trap Music. What's happening now is, other regions are taking the elements of Atlantas trap sound, and doing it just as well as Atlanta. And what DJ mustard is doing is taking older westcoast sounds(mob music and g-funk) and mixing them with newer elements. It seems folks are longing for that westcoast sound, and that old 90's feeling. Atlanta artist aren't dominating the mainstream like they were in the 00's. As much as I don't like Drake, he might have been one of the main forces that have spearheaded the changing of the guard from Atlanta being the capital, to Atlanta just being another city in the hip hop world. Drake being Canadian and claiming Houston as a 2nd home, and claiming Houston to be the city that put him on.

Last edited by polo89; 05-13-2014 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Austell, Georgia
2,062 posts, read 2,835,161 times
Reputation: 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
We were talking about ATL vs LA but then the whole state of GA got brought up for some reason. I know ATL is near a river and there are lakes nearby, but ATL is pretty landlocked. I personally didn't have any problem with it, but sometimes you just want to go to the beach when it get's hot on a whim. I'm interested in hearing about the GA coastal resorts as I have never been to any of them. LA has some great ones too...Basically the entire Southern Californian Coast, Big Bear for Skiing, Palm Springs, Las Vegas, Santa Barbara. TJ, Roserito, Ensenada are only 3 hours away too if you want to drive to Mexico.
Yes ATL is without doubt landlocked. After living in South Florida I really do miss being able to go to the beach at the spare of the moment. As far as Georgia beach resort towns Tybee Island is my favorite but I still prefer the Florida gulf beaches and resorts, such as Panama city and Destin. All are about 4 hours away from Atlanta give or take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2014, 09:01 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,322 posts, read 2,170,418 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I don't know. 6yrs ago ATL might have been the "world capital of hip-hop", but today no one city really dominates. The closest cities in which multiple new school rappers are coming with underground and mainstream label hype, are LA and Chicago. TDE(westcoast) with Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q, Jay Rock, and Ab Soul. Then there's other westcoast rappers like TY dolls sign, YG, and westcoast producer DJ Mustard running the radio. Then there's Bay Area hype like Iamsu. Then there's the whole"drill" scene in Chicago. Chicago "drill" music is basically a derivative of Trap Music. What's happening now is, other regions are taking the elements of Atlantas trap sound, and doing it just as well as Atlanta. And what DJ mustard is doing is taking older westcoast sounds(mob music and g-funk) and mixing them with newer elements. It seems folks are longing for that westcoast sound, and that old 90's feeling. Atlanta artist aren't dominating the mainstream like they were in the 00's. As much as I don't like Drake, he might have been one of the main forces that have spearheaded the changing of the guard from Atlanta being the capital, to Atlanta just being another city in the hip hop world. Drake being Canadian and claiming Houston as a 2nd home, and claiming Houston to be the city that put him on.

Def agree... Although ATL has a really good infrastructure when it comes to hip hop. ATL will always be one of the pillar cities along with LA & NY, but part of me feels like ATL rap is reaching its disco stage. Seems like power is moving to the coasts and Chicago (I think drill is temporary tho).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2014, 11:35 PM
 
14,007 posts, read 21,978,036 times
Reputation: 4087
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Def agree... Although ATL has a really good infrastructure when it comes to hip hop. ATL will always be one of the pillar cities along with LA & NY, but part of me feels like ATL rap is reaching its disco stage. Seems like power is moving to the coasts and Chicago (I think drill is temporary tho).
I def feel there was a huge shift of power from ATL, to the coast and Chicago. Mainly around 2011, when ASAP Rocky, and Odd Future hit the mainstream. There are still young Atlanta artist like Rich Homie Quan, Migos, and Futcha, but overall, ATL is nowhere near the same dominance it had back in 05-06' when TI dropped his King Album alongside the motion picture debut of ATL. That was Atlanta's PEAK. Now Atlanta's sort of in a decline. It really feels like the West-coast and Chicago have the juice. It kinda feels like the 90's again. Especially when you look at fashion trends, hairstyles, and sampled 90's beats. Even Atlanta artist are getting their records produced by Westcoast producers, and are flying to the west-coast to shoot music vids. LA has the juice right now with TDE, and Odd Future, and the Bay Area is on it's way, with artist like IAMSU, Sage The Gemini, and Lil B. Then Chitown has the double-edged sword with the Gangsta "Drill" Music of Chief Keef, Lil Durk, Lil Reese, etc, and the backpack Hipster rap of Chance The Rapper, Vic Mensa, etc. Even if people want to still hear that classic Atlanta Trap sound, they can get it from New York(French Montana), Miami(Rick Ross), Philly(Meek Mill), etc. It seems like Atlanta doesn't even have the monopoly on it's own sound anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2014, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,870,310 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
You guys also live in a landlocked, humidity-cursed region that would be literally uninhabitable if not for air conditioning. We just leave our windows open 365 days a year and have zero heating/cooling bills.
You do know this is not 1885?

Where in America other than he West coast do you not need air conditioning?
Not Chicago.Not NYC.Not D.C. So your point is moot into today's world?

I wander if that's why as many people moving there are are also moving out?At least they seem to be staying in Atlanta.

I have 3 friends that have lived and later moved away from LA because it was too expensive.they loved it but not enough to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2014, 11:47 PM
 
14,007 posts, read 21,978,036 times
Reputation: 4087
It's funny in a way, because when Trinidad James said that the South runs NYC, because everyone in NYC is emulating the Trap Sound, in a way, everyone emulating that sound should be bad news for guys like Trinidad James. Because folks are gonna eventually wanna hear those Trap Beats, but with better rappers on the beats, instead of hearing Trinidad James. Something similar to this already happened, when the TDE Remix(Westcoast) version of the hit song UOENO, became just as popular(if not more popular) than Atlanta rapper Rocko's original version. Seems like the lyricist are killing some of the Trap rappers on their own beats, and making the songs even more popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top