Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 11:29 AM

271 posts, read 369,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
Unemployment rate has little to do with which areas have the most/best jobs. And 6% is hardly high unemployment rate anyways. And I would definitely go to SF rather than Oslo if I wanted a job.
An unemployment rate of 6 percent is actually an historical high rate of unemployment for a city like San Francisco. Too many Americans have been used to high unemployment and bad jobs. This is a chart showing the historical unemployment rate in San Francisco since early 2006. You noticed the difference?

San Francisco County/city, CA Unemployment Rate

Look at the chart above and you noticed that under-unemployment and people with degrees have non-skilled job is not shown. If we would show them it would be much worse. Most of the jobs that have coming back since the crisis of 2007 have been Mc-Jobs. That is also true from San Francisco. What I will say is that SF is much better off than rest of California but SF is clearly no “job-maker” even though it is better than other places. Once again – an unemployment rate of 5-6 percent is actually high. The real unemployment is always higher than in charts – some are not registered for looking for work, go back to school, work a job under their education/experience and so on.

If I would take your position to hart – a city with 99 percent unemployment but 1 percent extremely well-paid job is better than a city with 4 percent unemployment with jobs paying on average a decent salary. What you also say is that if we take a land (A) with 100 million people and 50 million jobs than its better country for employment than land (B) with a population of 100 000 and only 80 000 jobs. This is high school statistics. Christ…

I would back my backs and move to Oslo right away. Oslo and Norway have much lower crime than in United States and very good salaries. Did I say that the monthly average wage (PPP) is higher in Norway than in United States? The GDP per capita in Norway was according to IMF (2012) – 100,318 US dollar. The GDP per capita in United States is 53,101 US dollar. It does matter if it statistics from World Bank, CIA, United Nations, PWC, PEW or whatever – it’s pretty ****ing clear that United States economy include the one in SF in a historical low shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
RE: Sconesforme

SF has the lowest unemployment of the American cities on the list.. and it is like 100 spots better than the next closest (ATL).

So what are you talking about?
What I’m saying is that it has an historical high unemployment rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
WTF are you talking about?

San Francisco's job market is very strong at the moment.

Yes, and that's below the US national average and way below most of Europe.

Yeah, and California is first in total annual job creation and has seen its jobless rate tumble.

Furthermore, this is not a ranking of states-fyi

Been to Oslo, its nice but it is not in SFs league as far as as recreational and cultural amenities, world class dining, shopping, arts etc. Neither is most of Europe in SFs league.

And the Bay Area's 600 billion dollar economy is the most innovative and dynamic in the world.
You know that Europe is not a country? USA should be compared to individual European countries and not an entire continent. USA is of course better off than Greece but what do you expect? Greece, Portugal, Italy and Spain are the “banana-republics” of Europe and have always that way.

Bay Area has maybe a 600 billion dollar economy (535 Billion in GDP in 2011) but then they also have a 7.44 million people living there. The population of Norway is 5.13 million and they have a 515 billion million economy (IMF, 2013). Bay Area is a center for “wealth” in United States but Norway, an entire country burn Bay Area. If Norway is wealthier per capita then one of the wealthiest and most successful areas in United States – what do you think individual areas in Norway will compare to the Bay Area like an extended metropolitan Oslo?

United States is not the wealthiest country anymore. United States is a proposition nation – “Get rich or die trying”. Look what you have – the worse of Washington DC liberalism and Wall Street capitalism. I have little hope for United States and that economy in the “Bay Area” is most likely a product of debt.

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

Maybe the Mexicans should stay in Mexico – at least they will get paid with money instead of homemade green debt-bills with a funny white man on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 12:07 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Atlanta's skyline is seen by over 16 million people each week. I think it is recognizable from coast to coast at this point.

Nice try, though.
Atlanta is a great city and I enjoy living here but I maintain my position that there really isn't anything about it that sticks out as iconic IMHO like the other cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
I don't think the Sears Tower is globally recognizable like those other landmarks. It isn't even been the Sears Towers for years now, and has a look that is hard for most people to distinguish from other Chicago towers like John Hancock.

Atlanta, though, has even less of a globally recognizable brand. There's really no structure in Atlanta that's remotely well known in terms of national or global recognition.
Maybe the Sears Tower isn't world known but I would imagine the skyline is.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:19 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Atlanta is not World Class at this time due to lack of a cosmopolitan vibe and not at the forefront of the culinary scene in the US. Though if any city from the sunbelt does emerge in that realm it will be Atlanta.
I'd put Houston and Dallas ahead of Atlanta in that regard.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:11 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Many publications disagree with you.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:28 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesforme View Post
An unemployment rate of 6 percent is actually an historical high rate of unemployment for a city like San Francisco. Too many Americans have been used to high unemployment and bad jobs. This is a chart showing the historical unemployment rate in San Francisco since early 2006. You noticed the difference?

San Francisco County/city, CA Unemployment Rate

Look at the chart above and you noticed that under-unemployment and people with degrees have non-skilled job is not shown. If we would show them it would be much worse. Most of the jobs that have coming back since the crisis of 2007 have been Mc-Jobs. That is also true from San Francisco. What I will say is that SF is much better off than rest of California but SF is clearly no “job-maker” even though it is better than other places. Once again – an unemployment rate of 5-6 percent is actually high. The real unemployment is always higher than in charts – some are not registered for looking for work, go back to school, work a job under their education/experience and so on.

If I would take your position to hart – a city with 99 percent unemployment but 1 percent extremely well-paid job is better than a city with 4 percent unemployment with jobs paying on average a decent salary. What you also say is that if we take a land (A) with 100 million people and 50 million jobs than its better country for employment than land (B) with a population of 100 000 and only 80 000 jobs. This is high school statistics. Christ…

I would back my backs and move to Oslo right away. Oslo and Norway have much lower crime than in United States and very good salaries. Did I say that the monthly average wage (PPP) is higher in Norway than in United States? The GDP per capita in Norway was according to IMF (2012) – 100,318 US dollar. The GDP per capita in United States is 53,101 US dollar. It does matter if it statistics from World Bank, CIA, United Nations, PWC, PEW or whatever – it’s pretty ****ing clear that United States economy include the one in SF in a historical low shape.

What I’m saying is that it has an historical high unemployment rate.

You know that Europe is not a country? USA should be compared to individual European countries and not an entire continent. USA is of course better off than Greece but what do you expect? Greece, Portugal, Italy and Spain are the “banana-republics” of Europe and have always that way.

Bay Area has maybe a 600 billion dollar economy (535 Billion in GDP in 2011) but then they also have a 7.44 million people living there. The population of Norway is 5.13 million and they have a 515 billion million economy (IMF, 2013). Bay Area is a center for “wealth” in United States but Norway, an entire country burn Bay Area. If Norway is wealthier per capita then one of the wealthiest and most successful areas in United States – what do you think individual areas in Norway will compare to the Bay Area like an extended metropolitan Oslo?

United States is not the wealthiest country anymore. United States is a proposition nation – “Get rich or die trying”. Look what you have – the worse of Washington DC liberalism and Wall Street capitalism. I have little hope for United States and that economy in the “Bay Area” is most likely a product of debt.

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

Maybe the Mexicans should stay in Mexico – at least they will get paid with money instead of homemade green debt-bills with a funny white man on it.
The United States has a higher GDP per capita than virtually every European nation, and ranks 6th in the world. The few nations with a higher per capita are microscopic in size--you literally cherry-picked the only European country with a population over a million that has a higher per capita.

List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 05-11-2014 at 02:25 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 01:29 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Seriously, NO..

Old 05-11-2014, 03:37 PM

271 posts, read 369,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The United States has a higher GDP per capita than virtually every European nation, and ranks 6th in the world. The few nations with a higher per capita are microscopic in size--you literally cherry-picked the only European country with a population over a million that has a higher per capita.

List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
When comparing IMFs GDP (PPP) per capita only two European nations score higher, Norway and Luxembourg than United States. In others lists Switzerland and Liechtenstein included and score higher than United States. When it comes to GDP (nominal) per capita 6 Western Nations score Higher in the IMF list and 5 of them are European. In the World Bank statistics 10 Western Nations come before the United States and it is the same in the United Nations statistics and pretty much the same in the CIA-statistics. The difference between North European Nations and United States is relatively small.

What you see in United States is that they trade very little in the percentage of GDP. Your Merchandise trade was just 23 percent. That is lower than Pakistan. Your service trading is just 6.7 percent of GDP which is lower than Bangladesh.

Merchandise trade percentage of GDP
Merchandise trade (% of GDP) | Data | Table

Service trade percentage of GDP
Trade in services (% of GDP) | Data | Table

Looking at statistics from the World Bank (Feel free to play around with the links above) it is pretty clear that United States has become a country that do not produce much but live very much over its means. This is what I feel is scary with United States – it is a debt driven economy very similar to the one in Greece, Spain, Portugal or Italy. They wanted a North European welfare state but they didn’t want to pay for it and so they continued to borrow money. When Greece, Spain, Portugal and Italy entered the Euro they couldn’t devaluate their currency or print the money needed so in the end Greece just went bankrupt you like Detroit. United States can print money (Quantitative Easing)but with the result of soaring inflation. Many countries around the world will not buy American debt anymore and has become a political issue in China and the European Union. There are even discussions about leaving the dollar as a reserve currency. American economy is not in a good shape at all and when you get off Quantitative Easing, which you most at some period of time, things could really ugly just like in 2007.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:50 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,858 times
Quote:
Looking at statistics from the World Bank (Feel free to play around with the links above) it is pretty clear that United States has become a country that do not produce much but live very much over its means. This is what I feel is scary with United States – it is a debt driven economy very similar to the one in Greece, Spain, Portugal or Italy. They wanted a North European welfare state but they didn’t want to pay for it and so they continued to borrow money. When Greece, Spain, Portugal and Italy entered the Euro they couldn’t devaluate their currency or print the money needed so in the end Greece just went bankrupt you like Detroit. United States can print money (Quantitative Easing)but with the result of soaring inflation. Many countries around the world will not buy American debt anymore and has become a political issue in China and the European Union. There are even discussions about leaving the dollar as a reserve currency. American economy is not in a good shape at all and when you get off Quantitative Easing, which you most at some period of time, things could really ugly just like in 2007.
The United States economy is drove by the national debt? You're comparing entire third world countries to specific states in the largest economic country in the world.

Quantitative easing (which does not mean what you stated it means) has been done in not only the United States, but Europe and Japan. So what exactly is your point?

The American economy has remained the largest economy in the world through two recessions and countless projections of it being overtaken by a country that has a GDP less than half the size of the United States.

You're clearly very misinformed about exactly how GDP, debt, and they're calculations to a specific country are measured and you're dragging on your failed attempt at an argument further than you need to be.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:10 PM

409 posts, read 587,313 times
Quote:
An unemployment rate of 6 percent is actually an historical high rate of unemployment for a city like San Francisco.
You miss the point. Relative unemployment has no relationship to whether a city has good or available jobs. In fact, unemployment often rises alongside a rising economy, as more people enter the job market (since unemployment only tracks people within the job market).
Quote:
I would back my backs and move to Oslo right away. Oslo and Norway have much lower crime than in United States and very good salaries.
I have no idea if Norway has "much lower crime" than the U.S. but it's of no relevance to the discussion. Western Europe and the U.S. have similar crime rates overall anyways (the U.S. only has a higher homicide rate, due to guns).

I doubt that Norway has better salaries than the U.S. Norway is one of the most expensive places on the planet, with almost everything costing multiples of the equivalent in the U.S. A ham sandwich is $15 USD. Norway would be one of the last places I would go to in Western Europe to earn money. Better to go to a high salaried nation with more "normal" costs (say Austria).

But U.S. probably has the best "buying power" in the world, with high salaries and (relatively) low costs compared to other high salaried nations.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
They listed 25 cities across the world in total. Here are the American cities that made the cut:

This is how they compiled their list:

Thoughts?
The Guardian?
Vegas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
How the hell is ATL on this absurd list, but not DC, Boston, Philly, Miami, Seattle, NO. I'd even put SLC or Denver on it over ATL.
LOL, "even" Denver?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City