U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 12:18 PM

3,384 posts, read 3,776,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
One of the things I miss from back home more than anything is New England sarcasm. If they don't get it that's their problem. I love the subtle ice breaker discussions and wicked sense of humor in New England. It's a hoot!
I dig it too. It reminds me alot of the Scottish sense of humour at times. You cant be thin skinned to deal with it though, which is fine by me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 12:26 PM

116 posts, read 159,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
BOSTON:

PROS:
1. Clean (compared to PHL and NYC)
2. Strong local economy
3. Public Transportation (also clean compared to other rails in the Northeast.)

CONS:
1. Liberal Elitist type atmosphere
2. People can be a bit stuck up: you know, liberal elitism mixed with that higher education mentality (see Diane Chambers.)
3. Public Transit shuts at Midnight.

SEATTLE:

PROS:
1. Summers are apparently really nice
2. Low crime
3. good bar and local music scene

CONS:
1. Extremely white and non-diverse
2. very hick once you are out of city (see Kurt Cobain.)
3. Weather
Both cities have relatively low crime, but according to City-Data's crime rate index, Seattle was worse in 2012:

Seattle City Data Crime Rate (2012) = 399.8 http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ashington.html

Boston City Data Crime Rate (2012) = 364.4 http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...achusetts.html

Also, you are wrong about Boston's transit - it runs later than that, especially on weekends. And the "liberal elitist" thing is really a generalization that doesn't apply to the whole City. Boston has plenty of very friendly people.

Also, Seattle is not quite as un-diverse as you think. There are sections that are very White, but it also has the most diverse zip code in the country (Seattle's 98118 zip code the most diverse in the country | KING5.com Seattle). Overall, Seattle is 14% Asian, 8% Black, 7% Hispanic, and 5% Two or More Races. 33.7% of the total population are considered "persons of color". There are also nearby suburbs with much higher percentages of minorities.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:37 PM

11,796 posts, read 9,715,656 times
I'd say the main difference between the two populations, socially speaking, is much more of a class system in Boston (and the Northeast as a whole) than Seattle and the West Coast as a whole. I got a real provincial vibe in Boston not only with outsiders, but between groups divided by ethnicity & class who don't mingle and have families who have not gone above or below their class level for generations.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:06 PM

2,945 posts, read 3,598,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanObservor View Post
Both cities have relatively low crime, but according to City-Data's crime rate index, Seattle was worse in 2012:

Seattle City Data Crime Rate (2012) = 399.8 http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ashington.html

Boston City Data Crime Rate (2012) = 364.4 http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...achusetts.html
Be wary of blanket "crime rate" scores. For instance, using your own source, Seattle has less violent crime than Boston.

Seattle had 23 murders in 2012 (murder rate of 3.7).
Boston had 57 murders in 2012 (murder rate of 9.0).

So, no, I would not say Boston is better. I'd rather live in Seattle with more instances of petty burglary than Boston which has more murders. In terms of safety, Seattle has less rates of murder and assault rate compared to other cities. The blanket "overall crime rate" is thrown off by non-violent crimes and inaccurately captures the actual safety of a city.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:15 PM

3,384 posts, read 3,776,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Be wary of blanket "crime rate" scores. For instance, using your own source, Seattle has less violent crime than Boston.

Seattle had 23 murders in 2012 (murder rate of 3.7).
Boston had 57 murders in 2012 (murder rate of 9.0).

So, no, I would not say Boston is better. I'd rather live in Seattle with more instances of petty burglary than Boston which has more murders. In terms of safety, Seattle has less rates of murder and assault rate compared to other cities. The blanket "overall crime rate" is thrown off by non-violent crimes and inaccurately captures the actual safety of a city.
Also keep in mind that basically all the murders for Boston occur in one section of the city and are confined to sections of only 3 neighborhoods. Boston Proper itself is quite small and if you include the towns that border Boston (which are also urban and connected by transit) you get a much cleared picture as to how safe Boston actually is.

Also, not sure how many Seattle had, but Boston totaled 40 murders in 2013.

Seattle and Boston are both extremely safe cities, both with metro areas that barely ever crack the 70 murder mark, which is remarkable for Metro areas their size (Seattle: 3.5m, Boston 4.5m)

Old 05-19-2014, 01:26 PM

2,545 posts, read 4,856,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Also keep in mind that basically all the murders for Boston occur in one section of the city and are confined to sections of only 3 neighborhoods. Boston Proper itself is quite small and if you include the towns that border Boston (which are also urban and connected by transit) you get a much cleared picture as to how safe Boston actually is.
I'll also add murders are almost never random. Assailants know their victims, and it's usually gang or drug related.

Petty burglaries are generally random.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:49 PM

116 posts, read 159,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I'll also add murders are almost never random. Assailants know their victims, and it's usually gang or drug related.

Petty burglaries are generally random.
From what I understand, it's the same in Seattle, although in 2013 there were some high-profile random murders. The majority (which are less publicized) are still gang and drug related.

Boston and Seattle are very safe, but neither are in the top tier of safe cities, such as San Diego and El Paso. Assaults and Robberies (which are violent crimes) are notably higher in Boston and Seattle.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Also keep in mind that basically all the murders for Boston occur in one section of the city and are confined to sections of only 3 neighborhoods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Same thing can be said about most if not all cities, including Seattle. So that doesn't change the fact that Seattle has less murders than Boston.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:15 PM

112 posts, read 102,242 times
Boston is much more diverse than Seattle with a similar crime rate, Seattle is whitebread r us, I would rather live in Boston.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggah View Post
Boston is much more diverse than Seattle with a similar crime rate, Seattle is whitebread r us, I would rather live in Boston.
So you're a reverse racist, suggesting the selection of a city based on the ethnicity of its residents. You sound like an enlightened individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or