Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 05:05 PM

688 posts, read 1,101,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Apparently "taste" comprehension is as well.

Sonoran style Mexican food is NOT Tex Mex.
Tex Mex is "more common" in Phoenix and Los Angeles than in Albuquerque. I did not say it is what is exclusively available in those locations, and I expressed an overall preference for the New Mexican cuisine.

More reading comprehension issues...blame the schools much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 05:09 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,676,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHikingCat View Post
Honestly, I'm sorry I started this thread, given that problem. Again, sorry, I'll NEVER start another comparison thread again guys. I'll also throw my laptop over a cliff. Happy guys??
Ha, don't get discouraged, this is nothing compared to the St. Louis is like the SF of the Midwest thread! It was another simple thread that just involved some rather broad similarities, mostly just areas of the regions being "versions" of each other, that exploded with ignorant pretentiousness and comparisons (such as gdp) that had nothing to do with the scope or intention of the OP. Ah City-Data

Old 05-09-2014, 05:13 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
Tex Mex is "more common" in Phoenix and Los Angeles than in Albuquerque. I did not say it is what is exclusively available in those locations, and I expressed an overall preference for the New Mexican cuisine.

So you think Tex Mex is more common in Arizona than Sonoran style?

Old 05-09-2014, 05:19 PM

688 posts, read 1,101,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
So you think Tex Mex is more common in Arizona than Sonoran style?
I did not say that. I said Tex Mex is "more common" in Phoenix and Los Angeles than in Albuquerque.

Seriously, some of you guys need to go back to high school and get a refund (or maybe that is where you are now).

Old 05-09-2014, 05:27 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
It's really a cross between Denver and Phoenix imo

Old 05-09-2014, 05:38 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
It's really a cross between Denver and Phoenix imo
Yeah kinda. It's a mile high with mountains at the edge of the city and politically center left like Denver. It's also a spread out desert city with super blocks and commercially lined boulevards with lots of southwestern stucco style development like Phoenix. Albuquerque is also pretty isolated so the city and New Mexico in general is in a little world of its own. It always amazes me how the scenery, culture, and environment go through immediate change with palpable contrast crossing the state line from New Mexico into Colorado. I'd say Albuqueque's peer cities are Tucson and El Paso.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:41 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
No, my writing is just fine, thank you, and you guys are just a bunch of ******** who like to poke 'holes' without contributing anything to the conversation.

Contribute or move along.
Two completely unrelated thoughts in once sentence? Bad writing. I'm assuming what you meant to say is that Albuquerque has more culture than Phoenix so they aren't a great comparison and also that Phoenix is much larger so it is a better comparison to Los Angeles - combining those thoughts into one sentence is very confusing. So yes I guess my reading comprehension of poorly written run-on sentences is lacking.

By the way I did contribute something thoughtful to the discussion:

Quote:
Albuquerque is like a more city-ish version of the Inland Empire.

The urban design is nothing alike - Los Angeles is a nearly continuous grid network of commercial boulevards spaced about .5-1 mile apart with medium-to-high-density housing on smaller arteries. This stretches for miles, from DTLA to Hollywood to Beverly Hills to Santa Monica. ABQ is large subdivisions in an inconsistent grid of superblocks, with commercial activity on a couple major boulevards

As far as the people go, I have no idea I haven't spent that much time in ABQ. It seems like the OP is largely going off of stereotypes about Angelinos though.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:44 PM

112 posts, read 136,313 times
Quote:

Old 05-12-2014, 01:47 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,647 times
Albuquerque is like the size of just 3 LA suburbs- Pasadena, Glendale and Burbank alone. So, no.

Albuquerque is to be said in the same breath as Tucson or Oklahoma City, not LA.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:11 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Albuquerque is like the size of just 3 LA suburbs- Pasadena, Glendale and Burbank alone. So, no.

Albuquerque is to be said in the same breath as Tucson or Oklahoma City, not LA.
True but the OP stated like a "little" Los Angeles.

Albuquerque can compare to Tucson, Denver, maybe EP...but not OKC

ABQ is like LA having many sunny not a cloud in the sky dry days (both can be smoggy too)
ABQ is like LA having dry looking mountains looming in the background.
ABQ is like LA having a strong Hispanic presence.
ABQ is like LA homes predominantly bungalows, stucco/Spanish (though ABQ more adobe look).

Both are more laid back than more fast paced eastern US too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City