Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:43 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
So, cities that produce the most "(Fill in the Blank) is the greatest city in the world and nowhere else can compare even if I don't live there anymore"?

Proud:

1.NYC
2.Philly
3.Chicago (very debateable)
4.Boston
5.Detroit
6.Atlanta (Transplants turn to townies fast down there)
7.Miami
8.Oakland (I've heard this more than any other place in the bay)
9.Baltimore
10.Cleveland

Honorable Mention: New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Birmingham, Knoxville, Memphis

Humble:

1.LA (Angelenos don't brag, maybe it's just my experience)
2.Seattle
3.Phoenix
4.DC (I hear about the DMV more than DC the city itself IRL)
5.Dallas
6.St.Louis
7.Twin Cities
8.Milwaukee
9.Portland
10.San Diego
I'd very easily switch list with DC and Miami. Miami belongs on the 2nd list. DC needs to be on the 1st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 11:13 AM

133 posts, read 192,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Proud: Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York
Not Proud: Detroit
Have you ever met someone from Detroit? Everyone I've ever known from there has a huge amount of pride in the city

Old 05-12-2014, 10:26 PM

465 posts, read 657,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
So, cities that produce the most "(Fill in the Blank) is the greatest city in the world and nowhere else can compare even if I don't live there anymore"?

Proud:

1.NYC
2.Philly
3.Chicago (very debateable)
4.Boston
5.Detroit
6.Atlanta (Transplants turn to townies fast down there)
7.Miami
8.Oakland (I've heard this more than any other place in the bay)
9.Baltimore
10.Cleveland

Honorable Mention: New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Birmingham, Knoxville, Memphis

Humble:

1.LA (Angelenos don't brag, maybe it's just my experience)
2.Seattle
3.Phoenix
4.DC (I hear about the DMV more than DC the city itself IRL)
5.Dallas
6.St.Louis
7.Twin Cities
8.Milwaukee
9.Portland
10.San Diego

You clearly have never been to DC or have never met a true DC native if you believe that we are humble about our city. I tell you what come to the DC thread and I think that you'll see that we are a very proud group.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:51 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
si >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> nj
Said no one ever.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:55 AM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Sacramentans tend to have an inferiority complex. Now it has gotten better over the last few years as more young professionals and college educated folks return home from other places, but the majority still have this small minded mentality they can not escape.
It's changed alot. If you don't live here day to day, you might miss out on the changes.

Sacramentans really don't care what's going on in SF or LA anymore, only if we have to politically. Culturally, we could give a damn whats going on "there". There is too much going on here and it really makes a difference, less comparisons with the Bay and LA.

People stand up for Sacramento like they never have before, especially Sacramentans under 30. We sort of laugh and "correct" people when they make stupid, uniformed or ignorant statements about Sacramento.

Some of that "inferiority complex" creeps up here and there, but it's not popular or as common as it once was, anymore, among Sacramentans, to have that "down on Sacramento attitude". Transplants are moving here not just for lower cost housing, but for a better quality of life and for the things that make Sacramento special.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:51 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
Certain mid-sized cities. Nothing comes close. Leave it at that.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:31 AM

43 posts, read 62,709 times
I have noticed that people in city vs. city tend to be more proud of their cities than people in general.

There seems to be a constant group of natives that complain about their city all the time.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:24 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

DC is def in the top whatever....You'll always find someone reppin DC...weather it be a tattoo about DC..on a message board...or as a transplant in another area...

Old 05-15-2014, 07:17 PM

728 posts, read 974,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
You clearly have never been to DC or have never met a true DC native if you believe that we are humble about our city. I tell you what come to the DC thread and I think that you'll see that we are a very proud group.
I've been to DC. Folks were proud but not obnoxious about it.

But clearly I might be wrong about that impression....

Old 05-21-2014, 04:59 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Certain mid-sized cities. Nothing comes close. Leave it at that.
I agree with this. Everyone has pride in where they are from, but the places with the strongest home pride that i've been to tend to be the places that dont often get highlighted in media and pop-culture. OKC, Grand Rapids, and Des Moines stick out as shameless self promoters.

Detroiters have a lot of pride but tend to be a little timid about speaking up because of the huge volume of negativity that precedes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City