U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 10:19 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,275,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
LOL, D.C. natives, really, how many can there be? Its a city of 600K with MANY transients due to administration turnover. And you can't lump in Marylanders or Virginians.
The migration pattern back then was from the city to the burbs so alot Marylanders and Virginians are established by the former DC natives. And just because a city is 600k doesn't mean there can't be millions of natives over time what we talking here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 11:31 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,146,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostOak5115 View Post
The folks in Austin, and the folks that wanna be from there think their city is a life changing vitamin. I like Austin vibe and all, but the civic pride is fantastically annoying sometimes.
Not surprising, it's a mid-size city (though larger than other cities with similar mentality) with a good economy.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:11 PM

850 posts, read 819,206 times
This is easily Texas. I'm from Chicago and moved to Austin and I've never seen so many people who even just wear Austin shirts on a daily basis. Texas flags alllll over. Texas shirts for sale everywhere-austin shirts- Texas themed items for sale everywhere. People have stickers even with "native Texan", or " don't mess with Texas", "keep Austin weird", " I got to Texas as soon as I could" etc etc.I would never be able to find any Illinois stuff in any stores..maybe some local high school shirts...and as far as Illinois flag flying? Lol good one. Or stickers on cars? No. Now... That's not to say that Chicagians are not proud of their city.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:14 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,533,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyasdf View Post
Seems like most people are very proud to be from where ever they are from. The ones who speak the loudest about their state, top 10 proudest, in no particular order:

Texas
Indiana
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Missouri
Minnesota
Vermont
Iowa
Michigan

I'm not gonna mention putting the least proud residents of states and cities. I made a resolution not to get involved in things that are about negativity, because one negative thought leads to another until I'm steeped in negativity and spiraling out of control into depression.
Uh no! Especially St. Louisans.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:44 PM

1,671 posts, read 1,919,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Uh no! Especially St. Louisans.
I assume you mean not proud of Missouri?

Old 07-08-2014, 12:29 AM

7 posts, read 7,129 times
Philly New York Boston Chicago Pittsburgh and I will say in all my visits to Ohio for business they love there state and OSU. Cleveland and Cincinnati both have great pride in there local pro teams (god bless them) and there cities and Columbus well Ohio state is kind of a big deal. Detroit also loves there city really good people and very humbled. Did not feel a great vibe while my time in LA Phoenix or LV to many transplants.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:50 AM

172 posts, read 202,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wine View Post
Well I can't give a top 10 and a bottom 10 but for most proud, I'd say New York with Philadelphia coming in at a close second.

Least proud? Well assuming we're talking about major cities here........maybe Seattle? Minneapolis? I've never heard anyone from those cities talk about how "proud" they are to be from there.
Seattle? Are you kidding? If anything, Seattleites have too much pride in their city. Ever heard of the loud, obnoxious 12th man? Or have you read "vs." threads where Seattle is one of the cities?

Old 07-08-2014, 06:58 AM

6,895 posts, read 3,617,660 times
Cleveland gets knocked alot. Even natives call it the "mistake by the lake".

Old 07-08-2014, 08:59 AM

5,991 posts, read 7,921,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly215610 View Post
Philly New York Boston Chicago Pittsburgh and I will say in all my visits to Ohio for business they love there state and OSU. Cleveland and Cincinnati both have great pride in there local pro teams (god bless them) and there cities and Columbus well Ohio state is kind of a big deal. Detroit also loves there city really good people and very humbled. Did not feel a great vibe while my time in LA Phoenix or LV to many transplants.
I've lived in Ohio over 8 years now in both Cleveland and Columbus and I agree, but only to an extent.

People in Columbus can't get over themselves and are extremely proud to live there. They tend to float up numbers and statistics that either over-inflate the city's status or are just plain wrong. For example, "Columbus is one of the nation's top 10 largest airports".......sure, in square miles, but certainly not passenger traffic, takeoffs/landings, or other more relevant airport measures and statistics. My favorite (or least favorite/most annoying), is "Columbus is one of the country's top 10 largest cities"......that's city population, not metro population, and there are few instances where the city population is the relevant metric to use when comparing two areas. I can't even think of one off the top of my head! However, Columbus is Ohio's biggest success story so I try not to rag on people who wear Columbus' rose-colored glasses.

People in Cleveland, however, seem eternally down on their city and their sports teams, EXCEPT when somebody from a rival city/fanbase is talking, then Clevelanders are very proud to be the classic American underdog city. Civic pride is something that Cleveland needs a heavy dose of before it can move forward and progress like it's capable of doing. Perhaps some good luck every once in a while could aid in that transformation (like getting the 2016 RNC bid in Cleveland....not that I care personally).

Old 07-10-2014, 07:53 PM

84,978 posts, read 98,832,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
So, cities that produce the most "(Fill in the Blank) is the greatest city in the world and nowhere else can compare even if I don't live there anymore"?

Proud:

1.NYC
2.Philly
3.Chicago (very debateable)
4.Boston
5.Detroit
6.Atlanta (Transplants turn to townies fast down there)
7.Miami
8.Oakland (I've heard this more than any other place in the bay)
9.Baltimore
10.Cleveland

Honorable Mention: New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Birmingham, Knoxville, Memphis

Humble:

1.LA (Angelenos don't brag, maybe it's just my experience)
2.Seattle
3.Phoenix
4.DC (I hear about the DMV more than DC the city itself IRL)
5.Dallas
6.St.Louis
7.Twin Cities
8.Milwaukee
9.Portland
10.San Diego
Seriously? They're all the time spouting that nonsense about "Minnesota Nice", which is just a form of passive-agressive behavior; their great schools (just go over to the ed forum and take a look around); and say they are "the best" in virtually every category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City