Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 11:32 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,355,382 times

Advertisements

LOL, D.C. natives, really, how many can there be? Its a city of 600K with MANY transients due to administration turnover. And you can't lump in Marylanders or Virginians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 07:04 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,770,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
LOL, D.C. natives, really, how many can there be? Its a city of 600K with MANY transients due to administration turnover. And you can't lump in Marylanders or Virginians.
Most of the tranisent nature of the DC area is not due to administration turnover, it's due to consulting and military careers which are very transient. political staff are a small number in comparison, and they tend to remain in DC for decades regardless of who is in office.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:31 AM

673 posts, read 1,186,997 times
Quote:
lol, d.c. Natives, really, how many can there be? Its a city of 600k with many transients due to administration turnover. And you can't lump in marylanders or virginians.
TRUE. lol

Old 05-26-2014, 11:13 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,847 times
I don't know what cities are home to the proudest locals, but I can tell you that the major Florida cities--namely Miami, Tampa, and Orlando--are, without a doubt, home to the least proud locals. People in those cities are prouder to be from somewhere else or the children of transplants from elsewhere than to be from their respective cities and/or Florida.

Generally speaking, people in Florida, regardless of the city in which they live, have the least state pride of any state's residents in the entire country, mostly due to Florida's transient/revolving-door nature coupled with the horrible publicity the state receives by the news media.

There are other transient/revolving-door states where residents have pride in their respective states such as Arizona, Colorado, and Oregon among others; however, I believe all the strange/bizarre crime and occurrences in Florida are the primary reason for the general lack of state pride.

How could you be proud to live in and/or be from a state home to Casey Anthony, George Zimmerman, bath-salt zombies, and a slew of other high-profile wackos? I know I wasn't.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:28 PM

465 posts, read 657,881 times
Quote:

40% of DC's population is Native born and many AA's that now live in Prince George's County, MD and Montgomery County, MD are DC Natives. The idea that there are really no native Washingtonians and that the city is full of transient people is just ignorant propaganda pushed by people that have never even lived in DC before.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:02 PM

213 posts, read 388,400 times
The folks in Austin, and the folks that wanna be from there think their city is a life changing vitamin. I like Austin vibe and all, but the civic pride is fantastically annoying sometimes.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:22 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,772 times
Detroit! Now that the city's cleaned up a bit, people have a lot more pride in being from Detroit.

Husband and I were amazed at the transformation the city has made in just a couple of years. We are quickly becoming fans of Detroit. There's a lot of stuff going on down there that doesn't have to do with crime or the ghetto.

Also, when Detroit's sports teams are winning, nobody can shut up about Detroit. We love sports - even our Lions!

People love an underdog - and Detroit is definitely that.

I think the hashtag is #MIcomebackcity.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:58 PM

261 posts, read 418,046 times
Seems like most people are very proud to be from where ever they are from. The ones who speak the loudest about their state, top 10 proudest, in no particular order:

Texas
Indiana
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Missouri
Minnesota
Vermont
Iowa
Michigan

I'm not gonna mention putting the least proud residents of states and cities. I made a resolution not to get involved in things that are about negativity, because one negative thought leads to another until I'm steeped in negativity and spiraling out of control into depression.

Last edited by qwertyasdf; 05-27-2014 at 06:33 PM..

Old 05-27-2014, 06:30 PM

261 posts, read 418,046 times
I think one reason why so many people look at San Francisco differently is because San Francisco is one of the few cities in the country that is welcoming to misfits and outlaws, generally people who were looked down upon and not accepted in their own hometown can find refuge and acceptance in San Francisco. I always seen that as a positive.

I know there are a lot of people who have never been to San Francisco but their perception of it is there's a lot of nutty people who live there.

I always thought I would like to live in San Francisco but it's just so expensive I never even considered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
When most people outside of California who aren't well-travelled think of SF, they think of one thing: gay people. Thousands and thousands of people believe the entire city of San Francisco is solely made up of flamingly homosexual men.

Other than that, people think of hippies and stuck-up rich white people or fobby Asians when SF is mentioned. Most stereotypes of SF are not flattering. Its like people in America feel like SF needs to be knocked down a peg. People look at SF differently than other big cities because of the stereotypes.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:05 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyasdf View Post
Seems like most people are very proud to be from where ever they are from. The ones who speak the loudest about their state, top 10 proudest, in no particular order:

Texas
Indiana
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Missouri
Minnesota
Vermont
Iowa
Michigan

I'm not gonna mention putting the least proud residents of states and cities. I made a resolution not to get involved in things that are about negativity, because one negative thought leads to another until I'm steeped in negativity and spiraling out of control into depression.
I take it you have never been to Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City