Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for warehouse distribution center and a diverse culture.
Charlotte 2 5.88%
Atlanta 13 38.24%
Miami 1 2.94%
Los Angeles 4 11.76%
Austin 1 2.94%
Houston 1 2.94%
Dallas 12 35.29%
Seattle 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 01:29 PM

82 posts, read 52,867 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am opening a business in the near future that will import and distribute goods throughout the United States. I currently live in North Carolina, but don't know if I love it here. Please vote from the following cities above and comment on why you chose it.

I am particularly looking for answers based on business and culture. I like to be in a place that is geographically placed well for drop-shipping for U.S. Residents and a place where it is very diverse in culture.

Thank you,

AM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 01:34 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
I think it would depend on how big your network is. If it's the entire US and you have nodes elsewhere, then I'd look more in the midwest. Chicago became the rail hub for a reason, for example. A lot of distribution centers are still there because it's basically in the middle of the country. O'Hare is also the busiest freight airport in the world (or it was, maybe it dropped to 2nd or 3rd now) and they're building a huge extension with a new runway just for freight as we speak. Big rail and air network, and it's in the "middle" of the country so if you truly have to ship all over the place and it's pretty even in various regions, I'd imagine you'd want to be someone centrally located for the US.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:35 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
I don't understand your business but why isn't Chicago listed -- that was my first thought?

Old 07-10-2014, 01:39 PM

82 posts, read 52,867 times
Chicago completely slipped my mind! These are places I can see myself living in.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:40 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
UPS Air and Cargo are based in Louisville, CA
FedEx is in Memphis.

Large Intermodal Ports are in
Long Beach/Los Angeles, Ca
Houston, TX
NY/NJ Port Authority.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:49 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
UPS Air and Cargo are based in Louisville, CA
FedEx is in Memphis.
Yeah, you're right. Those two are the busiest in the US.

Regardless, I think Chicago should be up there when considering a diverse place and an area where you could have a distribution center that is central if you truly need to ship things all over the US. I think in the end though it would depend on where you ship most of your stuff to and where you see yourself growing. If 80% of your customers live in California for example, then it would be a cost savings measure to be closer to there.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:24 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Lord knows when i'm making a business decision, I always turn to the C-D crowd to help me figure out how to spend millions in capital too!

Old 07-10-2014, 02:26 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Lord knows when i'm making a business decision, I always turn to the C-D crowd to help me figure out how to spend millions in capital too!
How can I please my wife? What is the right amount of punishment to give a child? Who should I worship, and why?

JK, I don't think the OP was looking for business advice per se, but instead advice about city cultures and idiosyncrasies about cities themselves that he may not know but could learn through C-D. I assume.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:57 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
I would also say Chicago.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:29 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,747 times
If you need some suggestions that are less pricey than Chicago, I've got two good Missouri cities for you.

Option 1: Kansas City is the second largest rail hub in the nation, after Chicago. It is a huge shipping center for railroads, and historically has been a big transport hub. I can't speak either way for diversity in KC, but I her that the area around Country Club Plaza has an excellent culture and is pretty diverse. It's also very reasonably priced when compared to Chicago. KC is probably worth investigating according to the standards you've offered.

Option 2: The second gem of Missouri, St. Louis, follows KC as the third largest rail hub in the nation. It has long been a meeting place of transport networks, beginning first as a major river city and stopping-off point for the Missouri River (Gateway to the West!), and then as a major east-west rail hub along with Chicago. It's a pretty big transportation/distribution hub, always has been, always will be due to its central location. StL is no cultural slouch either. It's got a pretty diverse culture that draws both from past European influences (Italian, Irish, French, and German influences are pretty prevalent), as well as new immigrants. More diversity is largely focused around the central corridor (particularly around Forest Park), so neighborhoods like the Central West End, Skinker-DeBaliviere, DeBaliviere Place, or municipalities like University City or Clayton, and any surrounding areas, would be where you would want to look. Along with KC, StL could be a good fit for you and your business.

Both cities have a great central location in the country; they are closer to the south and its growing economy than Chicago, and also closer to the West; and they have a more balanced distance between each coast and the north/south borders than most of the other cities listed here. However, even though they have some pretty diverse areas, but they're not as diverse (not demographically, at least) as a lot of these cities here. So you may need to make a decision as to which is more important to you-your business, or your cultural intake. I personally believe that KC and StL both offer you a good balance of both, while also being cheaper and more reasonably priced than most of these options, and offering solid metro areas to live in for the long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City