Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:51 PM

140 posts, read 140,249 times

Advertisements

I live in Dallas and really enjoy the area since I moved to TX. I visit Houston at least once a year and love the nightlife n have great attractions along with a world-class natural history Museum.

It seems it's a world outside of Texas give more publicly to Dallas area or even the Austin area. I always wondered why the was the case...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 10:04 PM

115 posts, read 144,857 times
Houston has to fix it's marketing problem first. And most Houstonians prefer not to be in the spot light. I think because the media has historically portrayed a negative image of Houston (That's my thought).

The city is making a lot of stride in improving it's image so maybe one day.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:09 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,471,207 times
I hear way more about Houston than Dallas and I live on the West Coast. In comparison I hear very little about Dallas--and that includes on here... Honestly, I hear more about Austin and San Antonio than I do about Dallas.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:18 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,100,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I hear way more about Houston than Dallas and I live on the West Coast. In comparison I hear very little about Dallas--and that includes on here... Honestly, I hear more about Austin and San Antonio than I do about Dallas.
This. Houston is way more talked about than Dallas is...

Old 05-05-2014, 10:19 PM

20,509 posts, read 33,409,035 times
Was this not just in the Houston forum?

Old 05-05-2014, 10:19 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,549,724 times
Houston puts itself down. It doesn't have the bravado of East Coast cities or Chicago or anywhere in California. It doesn't pump up how hipster it is (and yes, I know a ton of hipsters in Houston... a TON). It boasts substance (jobs, affordability, not too horrific traffic compared to comparably sized metros, higher quality of life: dollar goes further in getting material goods and niceties).

Old 05-05-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Was this not just in the Houston forum?
Yea it was

Old 05-05-2014, 10:34 PM

10,733 posts, read 23,710,979 times
It's the only major city in Texas I haven't been to. What does a tourist/visitor do when they visit Houston? It's something I have a hard time getting my head around. It's not a knock, just a genuine question. I think of it as a place to do business and can't think any cachet or trademark about it, where as San Antonio has the Alamo/Riverwalk and Austin has music and an attractive downtown and I wouldn't have to think too hard on what I would do to keep myself busy in those cities.

I'm sure Houston has great shopping and dining (like any big city), but are there interesting destination neighborhoods to visit that would leave me thinking, "yeah, only in Houston". Does it have nice walkable areas to explore (something I love to do when I visit cities), and a decent enough downtown? Is it compelling enough to buy a plane ticket and make hotel arrangements to plan long urban weekend?

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-05-2014 at 10:46 PM..

Old 05-05-2014, 10:43 PM

686 posts, read 1,164,126 times
I live here, Houston IS NOT tourist friendly. But it's still a great place to live. You literally have to know people here if you are visiting so they can find things for you to do. If you can do that you will have a good time here.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
I live here, Houston IS NOT tourist friendly. But it's still a great place to live. You literally have to know people here if you are visiting so they can find things for you to do. If you can do that you will have a good time here.
^^^Spot on. Other than the sight where Tx was won and the beer can house it's difficult.

Speaking of the San Jacinto monument area, since that's where Tx was won and gained it's independence why didn't the city ever try to develop the area and make it a hot spot for more tourist to visit? I guess technically that is something unique about Houston.

Last edited by ChazG; 05-05-2014 at 11:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City