U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best all around region for Craft beer in The United States?
Greak Lakes:IL, IN, MI, OH, WI 62 22.55%
Mid-AtlanticE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, D.C. 26 9.45%
Midwest: IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD 16 5.82%
Mountain: CO, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY 29 10.55%
New England: CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT 14 5.09%
Northwest: AK, OR, WA 65 23.64%
Pacific: CA, HI 27 9.82%
South: AL, AR, KY, LA, MS, TN 5 1.82%
South-Atlantic: FL, GA, NC, SC, VA, WV 19 6.91%
Southwest: AZ, NM, OK, TX 12 4.36%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 08:20 AM

1,069 posts, read 815,211 times

Advertisements

This is tough, my favorite states for beer are: Michigan, Colorado, New York, and California... so all in completely different regions. I guess I'll just do Great Lakes because Founders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 09:40 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,353,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnepple View Post
The fact that the Midwest is winning is a joke. Of course it's the West Coast.
Your'e joking, right? Are you trying to claim Colorado as part of the West Coast or something? The West Coast is no slouch, but it doesn't come close to the variety and quality of craft breweries in the Great Lakes region.

Just a quick sampling- Founders, Bell's, New Glarus, Goose Island, 3 Floyds, Central Waters, Revolution, Perennial, Half Acre, Jackie O's, Dark Horse, Jolly Pumpkin, Great Lakes

Old 02-27-2015, 10:40 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,119,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Never met a good beer from either coast that I couldn't get done better from a brewery in the Midwest.
I've yet to have a beer that can match this baby:

Although the fellas up at Hill Farmstead Brewery (also in VT) have come close. I've never had a better beer than what I've got from Heady Topper & Hill Farmstead. To be perfectly honest, Northern Vermont may have the most potent (given the population) group of fantastic breweries in the nation.

I really like the Midwest too...fortunately there are lots of fantastic breweries throughout the country, regardless of region.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:40 AM

28 posts, read 27,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Your'e joking, right? Are you trying to claim Colorado as part of the West Coast or something? The West Coast is no slouch, but it doesn't come close to the variety and quality of craft breweries in the Great Lakes region.

Just a quick sampling- Founders, Bell's, New Glarus, Goose Island, 3 Floyds, Central Waters, Revolution, Perennial, Half Acre, Jackie O's, Dark Horse, Jolly Pumpkin, Great Lakes
The West Coast (CA, WA, OR) have too many craft breweries to even begin trying to list them. There are exponentially more on the West Coast than in the Midwest and much more variety and better quality.

Also, Midwest breweries have no idea what an IPA is. "IPA"s like the Goose Island IPA would be considered downright malty by West Coast standards.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regrone23 View Post
Also, Midwest breweries have no idea what an IPA is. "IPA"s like the Goose Island IPA would be considered downright malty by West Coast standards.
West Coast IPA has become it's own style of beer. IPAs like Goose Island and some of the other Eastern types are what an actual IPA is, whereas a lot of the IPAs in the West are simply trying to out-hop one another. I enjoy a lot of hops if done well--and prefer the West Coast style--but sometimes breweries (especially out West) go overboard and destroy the beer. FWIW, Midwest & East Coast breweries now have a lot of West Coast style IPAs.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 02-27-2015 at 11:20 AM..

Old 02-27-2015, 10:52 AM

3,920 posts, read 5,046,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

Although the fellas up at Hill Farmstead Brewery (also in VT) have come close. I've never had a better beer than what I've got from Heady Topper & Hill Farmstead. To be perfectly honest, Northern Vermont may have the most potent (given the population) group of fantastic breweries in the nation.

I really like the Midwest too...fortunately there are lots of fantastic breweries throughout the country, regardless of region.
Yeah there are some gems everywhere. It was more a knee-jerk reaction to the incredulous post regarding the Midwest as a brewing region.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:08 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,353,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regrone23 View Post
The West Coast (CA, WA, OR) have too many craft breweries to even begin trying to list them. There are exponentially more on the West Coast than in the Midwest and much more variety and better quality.

lol. Please do tell regarding the better variety and quality. I'm sure you've had so much experience in the Great Lakes region's beer scene. The Great Lakes region has great breweries scattered all over the place throughout the region, even in small towns. The variety is excellent, with breweries offering world class styles from IPA's to Stouts to Belgians. We don't focus on one style. I listed a few breweries that came off the top of my head. The west coast has it's own ultra hoppy style of IPA. That's great, but it doesn't speak to variety. Name a stout that is higher in quality than Three Floyd's Dark Lord. Goose Island's IPA is not a great example of IPA's available in the Great Lakes region. It's a very average and basic IPA, by any standard. The Illinois by Goose Island (available in Chicago only) is a much better IPA. Bells Hopslam (Michigan) has always been regarded as a world class IPA, so don't tell me there are no good IPA's in the Great Lakes region. The IPA is the rowhouse of the craft beer world.. everybody focuses on IPA's as the only type of craft beer there is, and uses it as the benchmark. This is nonsense. The world of beer goes way beyond IPA's.

I gave credit to the PNW/CA when it comes to beer. They are a fantastic beer region and top 3 in the country. Unlike you, I give credit where it's due and make a coherent claim about why I prefer the Great Lakes region. You give a childish remark and don't give much to back it up.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:18 AM

1,900 posts, read 2,170,198 times
Anyone that doubts the Midwest role in the history of beer in America , as well as its current Renaissance...would be wise to study this map. Beer is like water in this, the most German-American region..and not referring to taste btw....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...German1346.gif

Old 02-27-2015, 11:30 AM

3,583 posts, read 3,670,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

Oh man, that's the good stuff. Given how small of a state Vermont is, they sure do produce some great beers. They're my pick for the best beer producing state. I think they rank #1 or #2 in craft breweries per capita in the US.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Oh man, that's the good stuff. Given how small of a state Vermont is, they sure do produce some great beers. They're my pick for the best beer producing state. I think they rank #1 or #2 in craft breweries per capita in the US.
It's all the damn hippies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City