U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best all around region for Craft beer in The United States?
Greak Lakes:IL, IN, MI, OH, WI 62 22.55%
Mid-AtlanticE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, D.C. 26 9.45%
Midwest: IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD 16 5.82%
Mountain: CO, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY 29 10.55%
New England: CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT 14 5.09%
Northwest: AK, OR, WA 65 23.64%
Pacific: CA, HI 27 9.82%
South: AL, AR, KY, LA, MS, TN 5 1.82%
South-Atlantic: FL, GA, NC, SC, VA, WV 19 6.91%
Southwest: AZ, NM, OK, TX 12 4.36%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 09:15 AM

3,057 posts, read 5,234,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Yeah, I just went off of the OP's criteria for regions and he wanted NY to be Mid-Atlantic. I've never tried Southern Tier but I've heard good things about it.

I know Bell's and Founder's are pretty popular in the Midwest but going back to what I was saying before, probably not well-known outside of their primary distribution areas. Though I want to say I've seen it offered in a few restaurants in Southern California when I lived there.. it might have just been other breweries.
I was at a bar in Decatur, GA and they had Bell's Two Hearted. I was a little surprised to see it there. Being from Michigan and only an hour away from Bell's, I wanted to try a local Georgia brew, but they didn't have any. So I had a little taste of home instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 09:18 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,088,859 times
I'm a fan of everything about Ballast Point's Sculpin, except the price. It is expensive, but so good. I have tried a few other of their varieties and they are good too, but Sculpin... Stone is nice too, as are a few others I have tried from San Diego.

For an everyday go-to, Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin', from the Bay Area (and now also from Chicago) is hard to beat. I make a pilgrimage to the brewery in Petaluma every 6 months or so for BBQ oysters in the beer garden, live music, and flights of the varieties they don't offer in stores.

I like the North Bay/Russian River Valley's Racer 5 and Pliny the Elder, too. Pliny may be my ultimate favorite. I have still yet to line up in February for the rare taste of the elusive Pliny the Younger's limited release, though. Maybe next year.

Microbrews in SF, Oakland, and Berkeley are all reliably good. Magnolia in SF or Jupiter in Berkeley seem to be my favorites of these.

We also get a lot of beers from Oregon here, including having a Rogue tap room and Deschutes being all over the place.

Obviously, I like the hoppy West Coast style IPAs. The best of them, to me, stretch from brewers in San Diego to Portland, with a particular focus on the North Bay Area.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:41 AM

5,468 posts, read 5,771,813 times
Pliny the Elder is one of my favorites. One thing I miss about living in San Diego is the excellent craft brew scene there and that you could get most of the more popular beers from nearly all of the larger California breweries. A few South Park bars in particular had just phenomenal draught selections. I'm also more of an IPA guy myself, and like the offerings from Green Flash, Stone and Ballast Point.

I shouldn't complain though - Kansas City owing to its location gets a ton of craft beer distribution from not only the Great Lakes but also Colorado/Mountain states. This is in addition to its own growing craft beer scene. I'm going to HopFest this weekend and there are are going to be a ton of breweries from all over the area and some of the big ones from CO (Avery, Odell, etc) Great Lakes (Bell's), NW (Rogue, Deschutes) and a few from CA - Stone will be there but sadly not the other San Diego breweries. North Coast will be there though and I don't think I've had any of their beers. Ommegang is also going to be here, and I'm super excited about trying their "Fire and Blood" red ale. And of course looking to check out some of the local breweries as well.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I was at a bar in Decatur, GA and they had Bell's Two Hearted. I was a little surprised to see it there. Being from Michigan and only an hour away from Bell's, I wanted to try a local Georgia brew, but they didn't have any. So I had a little taste of home instead.
Bell's Two Hearted is a good one. I know they've gotten really big over the past few years, and Two Hearted is probably their most famous ale. I'm not too surprised you would find it in GA.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:59 AM

21,945 posts, read 30,797,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I'm a fan of everything about Ballast Point's Sculpin, except the price. It is expensive, but so good. I have tried a few other of their varieties and they are good too, but Sculpin... Stone is nice too, as are a few others I have tried from San Diego.

For an everyday go-to, Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin', from the Bay Area (and now also from Chicago) is hard to beat. I make a pilgrimage to the brewery in Petaluma every 6 months or so for BBQ oysters in the beer garden, live music, and flights of the varieties they don't offer in stores.

I like the North Bay/Russian River Valley's Racer 5 and Pliny the Elder, too. Pliny may be my ultimate favorite. I have still yet to line up in February for the rare taste of the elusive Pliny the Younger's limited release, though. Maybe next year.

Microbrews in SF, Oakland, and Berkeley are all reliably good. Magnolia in SF or Jupiter in Berkeley seem to be my favorites of these.

We also get a lot of beers from Oregon here, including having a Rogue tap room and Deschutes being all over the place.

Obviously, I like the hoppy West Coast style IPAs. The best of them, to me, stretch from brewers in San Diego to Portland, with a particular focus on the North Bay Area.
Sculpin is very good

on Laguinitas aren't they expanding into Chicago - they are getting large - their beer seems to be everywhere these days and Stone as well - also see a lot of Racer 5.

If you enjoy the WC IPAs (I know I sure do) there are actually quite a few very good to excellent MW and EC IPAs

Also if you like Sculpin I would also suggest a FL beer called Jai Alai

I am lucky to live in an area loaded with excellent beer selections. There is a bar two blocks away that has unbelieveable tastings every Wed and almost always new - including many from the WC and outside of the direct area. Its the same owner as a large distributor so they get some great representation from the breweries themselves Often the brewmasters themselves. Sadly this place had a fire last month and will be closed for a few more months

Philly is great beer town, both local and for the diversity, variety, and selections - maybe has the best Belgium beer bars in the country as well

But on the whole I would recommend not limiting yourself to solely WC brews - there are many many other fine beers out there including IPAs

Where is Titan from, another good IPA - is that CO?

Old 05-15-2014, 12:44 PM

2,045 posts, read 2,490,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Sculpin is very good

on Laguinitas aren't they expanding into Chicago - they are getting large - their beer seems to be everywhere these days and Stone as well - also see a lot of Racer 5.

If you enjoy the WC IPAs (I know I sure do) there are actually quite a few very good to excellent MW and EC IPAs

Also if you like Sculpin I would also suggest a FL beer called Jai Alai

I am lucky to live in an area loaded with excellent beer selections. There is a bar two blocks away that has unbelieveable tastings every Wed and almost always new - including many from the WC and outside of the direct area. Its the same owner as a large distributor so they get some great representation from the breweries themselves Often the brewmasters themselves. Sadly this place had a fire last month and will be closed for a few more months

Philly is great beer town, both local and for the diversity, variety, and selections - maybe has the best Belgium beer bars in the country as well

But on the whole I would recommend not limiting yourself to solely WC brews - there are many many other fine beers out there including IPAs

Where is Titan from, another good IPA - is that CO?
Yes, Lagunitas has a facility in Chicago (larger than the Petaluma one). Brewpub open in June.

Titan is in CO.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Yes, Lagunitas has a facility in Chicago (larger than the Petaluma one). Brewpub open in June.

Titan is in CO.
Bigger isn't better in this game. It's all about quality and the Petaluma brewery is already pretty big by "craft beer" standards. They tell everyone in California that the Lagunitas brewery in Chicago is a mirror image of Petaluma. I'm sure that capacity is comfortable for their quality concerns.

Opening Chicago is a function of their popularity, production capacity, and number of varieties they can offer across a large area. They need a centralized location and increased capacity to make more than just the IPA available to more states. Even in SF, you can really only expect bars to have IPA, Lil'Sumpin' and/or Hop Stoopid regularly on-tap. Increased production in Chicago should therefor pay dividends here in availability of other varieties.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:12 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,615,259 times
I truly believe that Denver is the KING of ALL beer regions! Between the massive amount of craft breweries as well as the big boys like Coors and AB in the region, I would say it is a safe bet that there is more beer brewed within 50 miles of Denver than any other city in the US!!!!!!!! We also host the Largest beerfest in the US every year! The GABF!!!! Denver has to be the king of this poll!!!!!! My favorite is a lefthand nitro milk stout! I believe they are in Longmont!

Old 05-15-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
I truly believe that Denver is the KING of ALL beer regions! Between the massive amount of craft breweries as well as the big boys like Coors and AB in the region, I would say it is a safe bet that there is more beer brewed within 50 miles of Denver than any other city in the US!!!!!!!! We also host the Largest beerfest in the US every year! The GABF!!!! Denver has to be the king of this poll!!!!!! My favorite is a lefthand nitro milk stout! I believe they are in Longmont!
Denver is really good, but you have to know that Denver isn't the only Colorado city known for its beers. Fort Collins and Boulder boast some pretty amazing breweries themselves. I just tried Avery's IPA (finally) and was very happy with it.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Yes! I haven't been to Denver in about 10 years, but I do remember the beer. Great beer town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City