U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best all around region for Craft beer in The United States?
Greak Lakes:IL, IN, MI, OH, WI 62 22.55%
Mid-AtlanticE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, D.C. 26 9.45%
Midwest: IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD 16 5.82%
Mountain: CO, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY 29 10.55%
New England: CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT 14 5.09%
Northwest: AK, OR, WA 65 23.64%
Pacific: CA, HI 27 9.82%
South: AL, AR, KY, LA, MS, TN 5 1.82%
South-Atlantic: FL, GA, NC, SC, VA, WV 19 6.91%
Southwest: AZ, NM, OK, TX 12 4.36%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 12:42 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,625,545 times

Advertisements

"Denver is really good, but you have to know that Denver isn't the only Colorado city known for its beers. Fort Collins and Boulder boast some pretty amazing breweries themselves. I just tried Avery's IPA (finally) and was very happy with it."

Re-read my post. I stated within 50 miles of Denver! I am well aware of all the great breweries within an hour or so of our great city! Beer heaven!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 09:48 AM

5,509 posts, read 5,839,619 times
I'll give you Boulder (though I think Boulder is well-known enough of a city and shouldn't be overshadowed by Denver), but Fort Collins is not within 50 miles of Denver, I'm just saying. It's about as far away from Denver as Colorado Springs is, and it's closer to Cheyenne, WY.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Well that certainly may be true, I can't really tell what's going on either. At first I thought that maybe it was because the Pac NW (and the Intermountain West for that matter) isn't as heavily populated as the other bigger areas (Midwest, NE, CA) so maybe just not enough people rating the beers. But then you have breweries in relatively podunk places such as in Bible Belt Oklahoma getting a lot of ratings and having numerous beers making the list.

The link wouldn't work for the 2014 winners list and there was no 2013 list, but looking at 2012 winners for the WBC, it doesn't seem like the Pac NW "dominates". In fact if anywhere is, it is the Intermountain West, especially Colorado.

[URL]http://www.worldbeercup.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/WBC12-Winners-List1.pdf[/URL]

Same thing for the Great American Beer Festival. I see a lot from Oregon, but a lot more winners from CO. Though I'm taking both lists with a grain of salt because the GABF gave Miller High Life a silver medal in best American style lager, and the WBC gave Coors Light a gold in best American style lager and Michelob Ultra a silver. Steel Reserve got a gold in best American-style premium lager. Call me a beer snob but no, just no

[URL]http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/wp-content/uploads/13_GABF_winners.pdf[/URL]
It looks like the the articles linked above and the years in these PDFs don't match.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:04 PM

5,509 posts, read 5,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHmSke View Post
It looks like the the articles linked above and the years in these PDFs don't match.
In my post I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post

The link wouldn't work for the 2014 winners list and there was no 2013 list, but looking at 2012 winners for the WBC, it doesn't seem like the Pac NW "dominates". In fact if anywhere is, it is the Intermountain West, especially Colorado.
I looked at a couple websites including the official WBC site and the 2013 and 2014 stats were not available. ETA: Okay, I just realized he was looking at the NABA rankings. I was looking at the WBC rankings.

http://www.northamericanbrewers.org/...ByCategory.pdf

The NABA awards do indeed show a higher % of Pac NW breweries. But it just goes to show how all over the place some of these awards are. Also the NABA is based in Southeast Idaho, and entry in the competition is voluntary, so it probably has a lot to do with the fact that it was more of a regional competition than a national one. A lot of really well known breweries across the country didn't even compete.

With respect to the GABF winners, the link I provided was in fact for the same year the poster referenced with the article he provided (2013).

Last edited by Bluefox; 05-16-2014 at 01:19 PM..

Old 05-16-2014, 07:34 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,235,753 times
There's amazing craft beers in every corner of the country. I literally cannot think of an area that doesn't have at least a couple fantastic brews. That's what's awesome about the whole craft beer movement.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:03 PM

3,392 posts, read 3,802,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
There's amazing craft beers in every corner of the country. I literally cannot think of an area that doesn't have at least a couple fantastic brews. That's what's awesome about the whole craft beer movement.
Totally agree with this. When I hear people in other countries say America has terrible beer, I just have to shake my head. I agree it has some of the worst beer on earth, but at the same time its micorbrews rival anywhere.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:08 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,515,646 times
Our reputation is based on our history of having a bad collection of mega-breweries which honestly IMO is well deserved in that aspect.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:36 AM

6 posts, read 6,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
I truly believe that Denver is the KING of ALL beer regions! Between the massive amount of craft breweries as well as the big boys like Coors and AB in the region, I would say it is a safe bet that there is more beer brewed within 50 miles of Denver than any other city in the US!!!!!!!! We also host the Largest beerfest in the US every year! The GABF!!!! Denver has to be the king of this poll!!!!!! My favorite is a lefthand nitro milk stout! I believe they are in Longmont!
I agree, when I visit Denver I was so stoke about all the craft breweries near. Everything about Denver completes me and can't wait to move there.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:56 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,373,370 times
We are incredibly lucky in the US nowadays. Great, and I mean GREAT craft beer can be found in any region of the country. My personal favorite is the Great Lakes portion of the Midwest (Three Floyd's, Great Lakes, DryHop, Founders, Half Acre, Ale Asylum, Lagunitas [now has Chicago location], Goose Island, Fat Heads, etc.) and West Coast as a runner up. I accidentally voted for Midwest because I didn't see Great Lakes as an option. D'oh... There are so many city specific local breweries as well that it is so hard to account for all the great beer across the states.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:04 PM

5,991 posts, read 7,967,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
I truly believe that Denver is the KING of ALL beer regions! Between the massive amount of craft breweries as well as the big boys like Coors and AB in the region, I would say it is a safe bet that there is more beer brewed within 50 miles of Denver than any other city in the US!!!!!!!! We also host the Largest beerfest in the US every year! The GABF!!!! Denver has to be the king of this poll!!!!!! My favorite is a lefthand nitro milk stout! I believe they are in Longmont!
They have an IMPERIAL Stout now that I found in the Chicago area, and it's delicious, as expected! Not my all-time favorite beer, but a very very very good one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City