U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best all around region for Craft beer in The United States?
Greak Lakes:IL, IN, MI, OH, WI 62 22.55%
Mid-AtlanticE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, D.C. 26 9.45%
Midwest: IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD 16 5.82%
Mountain: CO, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY 29 10.55%
New England: CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT 14 5.09%
Northwest: AK, OR, WA 65 23.64%
Pacific: CA, HI 27 9.82%
South: AL, AR, KY, LA, MS, TN 5 1.82%
South-Atlantic: FL, GA, NC, SC, VA, WV 19 6.91%
Southwest: AZ, NM, OK, TX 12 4.36%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 01:20 PM

33,022 posts, read 22,926,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Totally agree with this. When I hear people in other countries say America has terrible beer, I just have to shake my head. I agree it has some of the worst beer on earth, but at the same time its micorbrews rival anywhere.

To be fair, when I have Euro friends visit me they pretty much dislike our good craft beers almost across the board. There are exceptions, but to many even our lower hopped beers are still way too hoppy.

There are exceptions of course. And if you're in the UK and used to a real ale, what we have here is a very different thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 01:33 PM

10,316 posts, read 12,474,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
To be fair, when I have Euro friends visit me they pretty much dislike our good craft beers almost across the board. There are exceptions, but to many even our lower hopped beers are still way too hoppy.

There are exceptions of course. And if you're in the UK and used to a real ale, what we have here is a very different thing.
Great point, we had some German friends visiting recently and served them various microbrews. They almost couldn't drink them. Luckily I had some Warsteiner too or they would have left thirsty.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:40 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,653,006 times
Pacific coast has rhe best soil for hops. Its not even close.

Midwest is not even on the level at all.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:48 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,372,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Pacific coast has rhe best soil for hops. Its not even close.

Midwest is not even on the level at all.
Yes most hops are grown in the PNW. That has nothing to do with breweries though. Just about all breweries will get their hops from the PNW if they are domestic, but they also import them for certain types of beer. There are TONS of incredible breweries in the Great Lakes region that easily compete with the PNW.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:11 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,625,309 times
I still do not see how Colorado is so far behind in this poll! It truly does have so many more breweries in the Denver Metro than almost any other city in the US! And on top of that, they are great breweries! I guess it boils down to lack of people knowing about how many great breweries are in our backyard.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:14 PM

5,509 posts, read 5,837,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
I still do not see how Colorado is so far behind in this poll! It truly does have so many more breweries in the Denver Metro than almost any other city in the US! And on top of that, they are great breweries! I guess it boils down to lack of people knowing about how many great breweries are in our backyard.
Well look at it this way: most of the other mountain states aren't really known for their craft beer besides Colorado. I know Montana and Idaho have a few, but not comparable. So it's essentially Colorado competing against entire regions. California is too (Hawaii does have Kona beer but, meh) but I think in terms of raw numbers California has way more breweries.

Colorado has some amazing breweries - Avery, Odell, Left Hand just off the top of my head all have some very very good beers. But so does the Northeast, the Great Lakes, the Pac NW, and California. I think per capita Colorado might take the cake.... but in terms of raw numbers, I think it falls short. Again - not a knock against Colorado. But it's just one state.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:27 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,235,503 times
Quote:
I have never noticed that to be the case. Then again I don't like IPAs and never order them.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:31 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,110,961 times
Quote:
Yes, but Euros can also suck it. Pour me another Sculpin, please.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:52 AM

10,316 posts, read 12,474,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Yes, but Euros can also suck it. Pour me another Sculpin, please.
Murica!

Old 05-20-2014, 09:26 AM

5,991 posts, read 7,965,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
I have a STRONG feeling that the same problem of not knowing about others' regions isn't unique to Colorado.

Unless you've had the best of the best (according to Beer Advocate, for example) or traveled to all regions of the country and have extensively tried the beer selection, it's hard to know for certain. For me, I've had many beers from the best breweries in the country/world, but not the best beers. For example, good luck getting your hands on a Three Floyd's Dark Lord Burbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout bomber -- widely considered one of the best beers on the planet! I know I haven't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City