U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most liveable Deep South capital?
Baton Rouge 8 9.64%
Columbia 34 40.96%
Jackson 1 1.20%
Little Rock 14 16.87%
Montgomery 4 4.82%
Tallahassee 22 26.51%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 05:47 PM

5,905 posts, read 6,993,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
Little Rock and Memphis are Upper South cities with some "Delta Culture". The Delta is Deep South culture that's not coastal. The Mississippi Delta is west Tennessee, east Arkansas, west Mississippi and east Louisiana. It's the the part of the South that's full of poverty, not glamorous like ATL and other cities in the South.

I see your point and I agree with you that there is some deep south culture in those areas. It is a well known fact that Memphis is different from the other cities here in TN, some often say its more like Mississippi than it is Tennessee. I think Little Rock is less deep south than Memphis is, but yes I see your point. Overall though Arkansas is an upper south state, just like TN is. As with all debates of this nature this is subjective. Your point is taken however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 06:50 PM

222 posts, read 243,963 times
I wonder how including Atlanta would have changed this poll...I think it probably clearly would have won, but I wonder by how much...and I wonder if Columbia would have come in second, or if Atl would have taken some of its votes more so than the other cities.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:01 PM

28,023 posts, read 25,118,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaGoose View Post
I wonder how including Atlanta would have changed this poll...I think it probably clearly would have won, but I wonder by how much...and I wonder if Columbia would have come in second, or if Atl would have taken some of its votes more so than the other cities.
The gap would be so big between Atlanta and whichever city would place second that it wouldn't really even matter.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:19 AM

737 posts, read 1,370,357 times
LOL, gsu gotta be hating the results so far.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:53 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,104,255 times
Columbia, SC.....it has a lot going on compared to the other cities.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:41 AM

127 posts, read 122,793 times
Columbia gets my vote.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:21 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,028,442 times
Is it just me, or does Fayetteville, NC seem a little Deep South? I know Eastern NC is a bit Deep South, but even some areas in the Sandhills seem a bit Deep South to me. Fayetteville sits between the Sandhills and Coastal Plain (Eastern NC) and it has always struck me as being more southern than some of the other NC cities like Greensboro, Charlotte, etc. However, this might be due to the fact that it's smaller and isn't growing as fast. Any opinions?

Old 08-09-2014, 05:25 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,028,442 times
Mississippi and Alabama are both below Tennessee, and Tennessee is Upper South. Georgia is below North Carolina and Tennessee, and again, those are both Upper South. South Carolina is below North Carolina, an Upper South state. South Carolina is definitely Deep South, and people will call it Deep South partly due to the fact that it was the first state to secede from the Union. Also, you can't call a city like Charleston anything but Deep South.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:45 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,861,856 times
I have to say that Columbia was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting a pretty run down and ugly southeastern town (a la Augusta) but boy was I wrong. What I saw was a wonderfully landscaped little city with some unexpected charms. Maybe it was just a good day but I was impressed nonetheless.

Why does it get so hot there though?

Old 08-09-2014, 09:52 PM

28,023 posts, read 25,118,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I have to say that Columbia was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting a pretty run down and ugly southeastern town (a la Augusta) but boy was I wrong. What I saw was a wonderfully landscaped little city with some unexpected charms. Maybe it was just a good day but I was impressed nonetheless.

Why does it get so hot there though?
I think Columbia's location within the Sandhills region (Augusta is included also) has something to do with it. Thunderstorms More Frequent In The Sandhills Region! | State Climate Office of North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or