Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Downtown
Detroit 50 27.78%
Los Angeles 130 72.22%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 01:54 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,818 times

Advertisements

Here's a nice little video featuring drone footage of DTLA that has been making the rounds on social media:

[vimeo]101231747[/vimeo]

Are there any similar videos of Downtown Detroit? It would be nice to be able to have a visual side by side comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 07:51 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
That is the best video I have ever seen of DTLA. Breathtaking.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 PM

215 posts, read 474,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I actually think that DTLA is as "walkable, dense and vibrant" as the city's population represents (or slightly below its weight) but for decades, the type of walkability and vibrancy that DTLA offered is not the kind that is well-received here on C-D. In fact I have heard from some long-time DTLA residents that the core was actually more bustling during its "nadir".
This is so true, I have always been a fan of downtown LA, I grew up in the 70's and even at it's low point downtown LA was packed with pedestrians and not to even mentioned how bad traffic was. Downtown LA is much better today with more quality restaurants, coffeehouses, and entertainment, yet it's not as vibrant as it used to be. Today Broadway Avenue is dead, compared to even 10 years ago. Not too long ago Broadway was bustling, and noisy and crazy traffic. It was quite common to see wall to wall buses as far as the eye could see clogging up the avenue, and hundreds of passengers unloading and loading onto the commercial street. It may seem like a long time ago to some of you young ones (I'm 50) but not to me. I used to work downtown back in the 80's and it was crazy busy back then and this was when the historic core was in worse shape like many American cities downtown's but yet it never desolate like a lot others I recall when I visited many other cities in my 20's.

Where I have seen improvement in pedestrians activity that wasn't there in the past is in Little Tokyo, and Spring Street (well a totally different crowd) Union Station of course before my time was very vibrant before flying became the norm, and during my childhood I recall it was dead. It has now come back to life, and in a big way. I'm amazed how busting the train station is now, even late into the evening. Recently I took the metrolink commuter train to my sister's home in Rancho Cucamonga taking the last train out on a Saturday around midnight and it was still fairly busy even at this time of night.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:09 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
I remember DTLA specifically in 1983 & indeed Broadway was busier back then but it was filled with swap meet heaven. Most if not all of the historic buildings were abandoned above the ground floor swap meet shops. Bullocks I believe was on its last leg. No merchandise, with most of the floors closed. As busy as Broadway was that is not the ;ind of busy we need or want, especially with the beautiful historic bldgs decaying by the day. Your right, its less busy today because things are changing for the better. Much better.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I remember DTLA specifically in 1983 & indeed Broadway was busier back then but it was filled with swap meet heaven. Most if not all of the historic buildings were abandoned above the ground floor swap meet shops. Bullocks I believe was on its last leg. No merchandise, with most of the floors closed. As busy as Broadway was that is not the ;ind of busy we need or want, especially with the beautiful historic bldgs decaying by the day. Your right, its less busy today because things are changing for the better. Much better.
The neighborhood is bound to get busier too as more residents move in. Until recently, most of the residential projects were adaptive reuse - mostly 7-12 story buildings. The new wave of projects is all new construction, many of them towers. We'll likely go from 60k residents in the neighborhood to 100-120k over the next decade. That's going to make a huge difference in the amount of foot traffic.

And yes, I agree that things are much better now that we're moving away from the swap meets. Those tenants have been terrible stewards of the buildings. We have the more gorgeous and intact stretch of historic theaters in the country. Filling them with swap meets selling junk is definitely not their highest and best use.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Here's a nice little video featuring drone footage of DTLA that has been making the rounds on social media:

[vimeo]101231747[/vimeo]

Are there any similar videos of Downtown Detroit? It would be nice to be able to have a visual side by side comparison.
This is a neat video of DT Detroit.

Always on the road: Witnessing rays of hope in Detroit // OSK - Blog

Old 07-25-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Some nice old buildings in DT Detroit! What is the one with the vaulted ceiling at 1:20?

Anyway, thanks for posting - this was exactly what I was looking for.

PS you can embed the video directly by pulling out the ID number from the vimeo URL and putting it between [vimeo] tags:

[vimeo]88981135[/vimeo]

Old 07-25-2014, 11:29 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,059,103 times
Quote:
Some nice old buildings in DT Detroit! What is the one with the vaulted ceiling at 1:20?

I'm pretty sure that ceiling is in the Gaurdian Building. It's pretty ornate inside and out.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:04 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,267 times
Quote:

Anyway, thanks for posting - this was exactly what I was looking for.

PS you can embed the video directly by pulling out the ID number from the vimeo URL and putting it between [vimeo] tags:

[vimeo]88981135[/vimeo]
Thanks for the tip, I work off an iPad and have limited internet skills, lol. And that building would be the Guardian building, one of my favourites!

Old 07-27-2014, 01:34 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,597,502 times
Nice LA vid. Didn't know there was that much historical architecture there. They're very over shadowed by the newer taller towers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City