U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 08:23 AM

409 posts, read 437,795 times

Advertisements

Baltimore is one of the 20 most "innovative, sustainable and quality of life" cities on earth?

And obviously the Bay Area isn't innovative or desirable. Nothing going on there compared to Baltimore and Oslo of all places!

LOL, nope. Next!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 08:24 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,121,523 times
Kind of weird seeing a list ranking the "smartest" cities based on innovation levels and ability to attract great minds and both Boston & San Francisco are totally left off. Washington DC too. Those are the three most educated major metropolitans areas in the country, with the elite of the elite tending to go to the Bay and Boston based on whether they're in tech (SF) or life sciences (Bos). Not to mention something like 35% of all venture capital on the planet goes to these two metro areas, which supports the notion that they're very innovative cities. I'd feel comfortable ranking both of those cities ahead of any cities ranked 10-20 (sometimes by a very large margin), and most of the top 10 cities...though some of the top cities win from sheer numbers.

Los Angeles on average is not a very well educated city, but it has enough people where it can be low on the median, yet be a smart city anyways. Chicago is a bit higher in the median, and a bit lower on the ultra high-end. Philadelphia is decent on the median, but does very well in the elite status due to UPenn and the pharma influence. The two big "WTF?" cities are Baltimore and Dallas...especially Dallas since at least Baltimore has Johns Hopkins.

Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 05-16-2014 at 08:34 AM..

Old 05-16-2014, 08:54 AM

6,612 posts, read 6,544,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Seriously. Would you be saying this if Atlanta also made the list?
Yes I would...the 20 best cities in the world. Think about it. There are many world cities that most people would place above Baltimore or Atlanta.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:00 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,301,003 times
Ill say this. I live in Dallas and I LOVE Dallas. There is not another place I would want to call home at this stage in life.

Is it one of the 20 best cities in the world? Absolutely not.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:39 AM

21,953 posts, read 30,828,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Kind of weird seeing a list ranking the "smartest" cities based on innovation levels and ability to attract great minds and both Boston & San Francisco are totally left off. Washington DC too. Those are the three most educated major metropolitans areas in the country, with the elite of the elite tending to go to the Bay and Boston based on whether they're in tech (SF) or life sciences (Bos). Not to mention something like 35% of all venture capital on the planet goes to these two metro areas, which supports the notion that they're very innovative cities. I'd feel comfortable ranking both of those cities ahead of any cities ranked 10-20 (sometimes by a very large margin), and most of the top 10 cities...though some of the top cities win from sheer numbers.

Los Angeles on average is not a very well educated city, but it has enough people where it can be low on the median, yet be a smart city anyways. Chicago is a bit higher in the median, and a bit lower on the ultra high-end. Philadelphia is decent on the median, but does very well in the elite status due to UPenn and the pharma influence. The two big "WTF?" cities are Baltimore and Dallas...especially Dallas since at least Baltimore has Johns Hopkins.

Oh well, can't win 'em all.
I think there was over a 100 cities ranked - only saw the top 20 based on the criteria so not sure where they would have ranked.

Like many lists mostly with a grain of salt. And this seemed to have a lot of criteria factored FWIW

Old 05-16-2014, 10:06 AM

7,342 posts, read 15,315,697 times
Maybe it's just me, but the only real problem I see is that the title of the list is "best cities on the planet." It would be better if it were "cities that best match this criteria." Even then it's debatable.

Obviously a "best" city list is highly subjective. If an individual significantly prefers warm weather cities, then a list comprised of North Eastern and Scandinavian cities probably won't fit. Even given the subjective nature of a "best cities" list, I have a hard time agreeing with any list of 20 best cities in the world that is 30% American cities. We can easily list the positives of Baltimore, Dallas, etc. However, I have a hard time saying that those cities are "better" than Hong Kong, Shanghai, Rio, Rome, Toronto, Istanbul, Vancouver, etc. I also have a problem with European cities like Basel and Eindhoven (the latter of which I've been to) being considered "better" than many of the cities that didn't make the list.

Again, nothing wrong with picking some criteria and using it to make a list. We do it all the time here on C-D. However, publishing it under the headline "Best Cities on the Planet" is downright ridiculous.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:25 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,461,535 times
I think SF and Boston weren't even evaluated. Maybe they didn't meet certain benchmarks. For SF I assume it's the city alone rather than the Bay Area, so tech regardless might not have weighed as heavily. It would also have lost Berkeley and Stanford in its evaluation. And the income stratification or low number of families might have counted against it. San Francisco water policy is actually not the most progressive in California though it's as threatened as anywhere. Those could be factors.

Like the site itself says, there is no single measure, success can't be just on one dimension, and some cities don't have the reputations they deserve. How 'bout we accept the ranking on its own terms and have a better look at Baltimore and Dallas instead?

Old 05-16-2014, 10:46 AM

58 posts, read 68,725 times
If you read the study, there were originally 135 cities selected; in the United States, these were:
Baltimore
Chicago
Dallas
Houston
Los Angeles
Minneapolis-Saint Paul
New York
and Philadelphia

San Francisco was not selected for study (and neither were other cities that would have been no-brainers to be on the list.) A statistician would say that this study is "flawed" because it didn't account for "all" cities.

As to why San Francisco and other cities were not initially selected for the study, there doesn't seem to be any indication. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The study would more appropriately have been labeled "Of a selected list of 135 cities, which is the smartest."

Rossia

Old 05-16-2014, 11:35 AM

21,953 posts, read 30,828,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Maybe it's just me, but the only real problem I see is that the title of the list is "best cities on the planet." It would be better if it were "cities that best match this criteria." Even then it's debatable.

Obviously a "best" city list is highly subjective. If an individual significantly prefers warm weather cities, then a list comprised of North Eastern and Scandinavian cities probably won't fit. Even given the subjective nature of a "best cities" list, I have a hard time agreeing with any list of 20 best cities in the world that is 30% American cities. We can easily list the positives of Baltimore, Dallas, etc. However, I have a hard time saying that those cities are "better" than Hong Kong, Shanghai, Rio, Rome, Toronto, Istanbul, Vancouver, etc. I also have a problem with European cities like Basel and Eindhoven (the latter of which I've been to) being considered "better" than many of the cities that didn't make the list.

Again, nothing wrong with picking some criteria and using it to make a list. We do it all the time here on C-D. However, publishing it under the headline "Best Cities on the Planet" is downright ridiculous.

you can blame me for that - I took the titel from the article - more for wow factor than anything else. I take all of these with a grain of salt and figured this would end up getting slammed one way or another on here - so stuck with it...

Old 05-16-2014, 11:53 AM

7,342 posts, read 15,315,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
you can blame me for that - I took the titel from the article - more for wow factor than anything else. I take all of these with a grain of salt and figured this would end up getting slammed one way or another on here - so stuck with it...
No I'm not faulting you. I read the article too and thought they chose the headline poorly. I feel the same way as you do about these lists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or