Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 03:52 PM

673 posts, read 1,187,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
As for the original question, I'd say that Maryland is evenly influenced by both metropolitan areas, DC possibly a little more so since there seems to be more people living here in the neighboring counties such as Montgomery County (over 1 million) and Prince George's County (bigger than San Francisco's pop, close to 900,000). Then there's Charles County, Calvert County, St. Mary's County, Frederick County, and the rest of Western Maryland. The Baltimore side of the state includes Bmore City along with Bmore County, Hartford County, Howard County (though it has some DC influence), Anne Arundel County (has some DC influence as well but it doesn't feel as pronounced as HoCo's to me, even in Crofton I feel like I'm in Baltimore's sphere of influence), Carroll County, and much of the Eastern Shore to some extent.

Carry PG County, MoCo, and Baltimore City during a statewide election, and you are in. These three jurisdictions are home to the largest concentration of the state's population.

Your Wrong. St. Mary's nor the rest of West Maryland is apart of DC's MSA. In Maryland only Charles, Prince Georges, Montgomery, Frederick, and Calvert County are apart of DC's MSA. Regardless of what county in DC's MSA has a higher population Baltimore's MSA still has a higher population than DC's MSA in Maryland excluding the Northern Virginia counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 03:52 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Aren't there a lot more Baltimore Ravens and Orioles fans than Washington Redskins and Nationals fans in Maryland? It seems that the state of Maryland rallies behind Baltimore teams more so than Washington DC teams.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:05 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
Baltimore is closer to DC than it is to Baltimore. Annapolis is easily accessible to both city. Interstate 97 is a straight shot from Annapolis to Baltimore. Interstate 50 is a straight shot from Annapolis to DC. Not to mention Baltimore has more routes to and from Annapolis than DC does. DC only has 50/301.
Did you mean Annapolis is closer to DC than it is to Baltimore?

Old 05-21-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Aren't there a lot more Baltimore Ravens and Orioles fans than Washington Redskins and Nationals fans in Maryland? It seems that the state of Maryland rallies behind Baltimore teams more so than Washington DC teams.
Its about even in the central Maryland region. Washington DC borders Maryland neighborhoods so its influence is pretty heavy atleast in its Metropolitan area which includes counties in MD. I know that the Redskins Stadium (FedEx Field) is in Prince Georges County, MD. But id say 30 percent of MD is redskins/ nationals fans.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:21 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
Quote:
Baltimore influences parts of PG culturally. Baltimore Blue crabs for instance has a major influence in PG. Locals in PG eat blue crabs traditionally. There also Ravens fans in PG. But DC of course influences PG more than Bmore. But do not doubt that Baltimore has some influence on PG.
People from PG can't bare to even be mentioned in the same sentence with Baltimore, let alone "influenced by it." When out of town, someone from PG will say "I'm from Maryland," if the person their talking to only knows of Baltimore, you will hear an immediate uproar from the PG native. "Not Baltimore! Right outside DC," just as clarification. Now I will say people enjoy recreational activities in Baltimore just for a change of scenery etc. I mean heck it's what 45 mins max to Downtown Baltimore from almost any point of Prince George's, most parts less. The state is geographically which is a hidden benefit honestly to have many different options all within a small radius.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Did you mean Annapolis is closer to DC than it is to Baltimore?
Lol no other way around. I meant to say Annapolis is closer to Baltimore than it is to DC. I was typing very fast at the time

Old 05-21-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
People from PG can't bare to even be mentioned in the same sentence with Baltimore, let alone "influenced by it." When out of town, someone from PG will say "I'm from Maryland," if the person their talking to only knows of Baltimore, you will hear an immediate uproar from the PG native. "Not Baltimore! Right outside DC," just as clarification. Now I will say people enjoy recreational activities in Baltimore just for a change of scenery etc. I mean heck it's what 45 mins max to Downtown Baltimore from almost any point of Prince George's, most parts less. The state is geographically which is a hidden benefit honestly to have many different options all within a small radius.
Your speaking for everybody in PG?! I think your the only person that does this when some one from out of town ask you where your from in MD. Its only the Inner Beltway PG people that don't like any affiliation with Baltimore because of cultural rivalries from the 70's and 80's between Black Baltimoreans and Blacks from SE and NE DC which border most neighborhoods in the inner beltway. Anyways people from PG do indeed eat Baltimore Crabs as a tradition which is based in Baltimore. AND not to mention theres plenty of Ravens and Orioles fans in PG. They may not look up to Baltimore as they do DC. But Baltimore does have an influence on PG if anything.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
I have been trying to figure out this and other similar questions since I moved here several years ago. I have lived in Montgomery County and Anne Arundel County, I work in downtown Silver Spring and frequent both DC and Baltimore very often. I even get over to NoVA and spend quite a bit of time in PG County and Howard County.

So I get around.

This area is VERY interesting to me in the way it interacts. You guys actually pretty much get along compared to where I'm from Kansas City where they take state lines far more seriously.

My take on this question is it depends.

I think Montgomery County is very much a DC influenced County but there are still quite a few baltimore sports fans there, especially O's fans. The Nats are still getting established. Most people commute and interact with DC and NOVA in that area. PG County is similar, but eastern parts of it lean more Baltimore than I think people like to admit. PG County has a bit more of a blue collar culture than DC. Bowie has a minor league team for the O's, Annapolis is down the road and many in eastern PG county spend a lot of time in AA County shopping etc. AA County is definitely more like 60% Baltimore, even as far south as Annapolis. In AA County, when looking at the fans of local teams, I would guess 60% are O's and Ravens, 40% are Nats and Skins. But AA county is a huge supporter of the NHL Caps, probably more so percent wise than PG and Montgomery Counties. AA county has an interesting water lifestyle with blue collar culture. Severna Park, Annapolis etc are all about living near the water and that is more in line with Baltimore.

What's odd is while sports fans in AA county lean to Baltimore, Annapolis and eastern shore commuters seem be traveling to DC more than Baltimore when you look at traffic volumes on 97 and 50.

It's really just all over the place. DC and Baltimore share many of the same suburbs in Maryland and I think their influence is pretty similar overall. But if you look at the entire state as a whole, I think Baltimore culture is much more embedded in Maryland.

VA is also a mixed bag. There is more to VA than just NOVA while MD is basically the DC and Balt areas. NOVA is totally influenced by DC, but when you get away from the DC area, I think the state is culturally diverse with different regions (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Richmond etc).

I find NOVA outside the beltway culturally bland. That area could be anywhere suburban USA. I don't think that's the case with AA County and other MD counties which have more unique cultures.

Last edited by kcmo; 05-21-2014 at 09:46 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I have been trying to figure out this and other similar questions since I moved here several years ago. I have lived in Montgomery County and Anne Arundel County, I work in downtown Silver Spring and frequent both DC and Baltimore very often. I even get over to NoVA and spend quite a bit of time in PG County and Howard County.

So I get around.

This area is VERY interesting to me in the way it interacts. You guys actually pretty much get along compared to where I'm from Kansas City where they take state lines far more seriously.

My take on this question is it depends.

I think Montgomery County is very much a DC influenced County but there are still quite a few baltimore sports fans there, especially O's fans. The Nats are still getting established. Most people commute and interact with DC and NOVA in that area. PG County is similar, but eastern parts of it lean more Baltimore than I think people like to admit. PG County has a bit more of a blue collar culture than DC. Bowie has a minor league team for the O's, Annapolis is down the road and many in western PG county spend a lot of time in AA County shopping etc. AA County is definitely more like 60% Baltimore, even as far south as Annapolis. In AA County, when looking at the fans of local teams, I would guess 60% are O's and Ravens, 40% are Nats and Skins. But AA county is a huge supporter of the NHL Caps, probably more so percent wise than PG and Montgomery Counties. AA county has an interesting water lifestyle with blue collar culture. Severna Park, Annapolis etc are all about living near the water and that is more in line with Baltimore.

What's odd is while sports fans in AA county lean to Baltimore, Annapolis and eastern shore commuters seem be traveling to DC more than Baltimore when you look at traffic volumes on 97 and 50.

It's really just all over the place. DC and Baltimore share many of the same suburbs in Maryland and I think their influence is pretty similar overall. But if you look at the entire state as a whole, I think Baltimore culture is much more embedded in Maryland.

VA is also a mixed bag. There is more to VA than just NOVA while MD is basically the DC and Balt areas. NOVA is totally influenced by DC, but when you get away from the DC area, I think the state is culturally diverse with different regions (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Richmond etc).

I find NOVA outside the beltway culturally bland. That area could be anywhere suburban USA. I don't think that's the case with AA County and other MD counties with have more unique cultures.
I totally agree with this post. I know what your talking about with the 50/ I-97 interchange in Annapolis. More commuters head to DC because most of the commuters in Annapolis have government jobs in Downtown DC. Those are government workers in DC from Annapolis and Eastern Shore causing more traffic on 50 in the mornings. 97 gets a lot of commuters also!

Old 05-21-2014, 09:49 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Quote:
I totally agree with this post. I know what your talking about with the 50/ I-97 interchange in Annapolis. More commuters head to DC because most of the commuters in Annapolis have government jobs in Downtown DC. Those are government workers in DC from Annapolis and Eastern Shore causing more traffic on 50 in the mornings. 97 gets a lot of commuters also!
What's really interesting is that while 50 is much busier and seems to carry more rush hour traffic to DC vs 97 to Baltimore, there is a sizable commute TO Annapolis via 97 and not much at all from DC. So a lot of people commute to Annapolis (probably state jobs etc) but mostly from the north and Baltimore area rather than from the west (DC area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City