U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose your preferred city to live or visit.
Charleston 22 31.43%
New Orleans 25 35.71%
Savannah 23 32.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 06:12 PM

715 posts, read 789,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Interesting thread...never been to new Orleans but with the crime rates and poverty levels can't imagine it being the ideal place to wanna live..visit possibly..live no.

So savannah vs Charleston is pretty easy for me since I've been to both. I liked Charleston wayyyy better. Savannah is surrounded by super undesirable areas in which we felt uncomfortable and unsafe...and I'm from Chicago where we have BSD pockets too but savannah was on another level. The downtown district is AWESOME and BEAUTIFUL but the fact that I could in a blink of an eye be lost for what seems like forever in bad areas I will go with Charleston. Plus the ocean is right there too.
Savannah does have blighted areas but so does Charleston.

In fact, all of Georgia's secondary metro areas have a high level of blight.

Savannah and Valdosta are the only two where the beauty outshines the bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 06:13 PM

145 posts, read 149,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Bourbon Street is filthy but I found most of the rest of the city to be gritty, not filthy. The last time I went I met up with a friend who's a native and was able to see other parts of the city that tourists rarely venture into although they are worth a visit.
And I absolutely agree. Gritty as opposed to sterile, but filthy does not accurately describe most of the city. Manhattan is filthy.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:32 PM

27,708 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
New Orleans is a true urban oasis. When I went there, New Orleans was dirty. Words cannot express how much I love the city, but filth is filth and the city is filthy.

Not.Every.Area but most of it is.
So how much of the actual city did you see to make that assessment?

Old 05-19-2014, 08:07 PM

13,093 posts, read 15,900,406 times
Quote:
savannah does have blighted areas but so does charleston.

In fact, all of georgia's secondary metro areas have a high level of blight.

Savannah and valdosta are the only two where the beauty outshines the bad.
valdosta?!

Old 05-19-2014, 08:22 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,808,584 times
Clearly he meant St Mary's.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:34 PM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
"A few more trees ..." LOL!

This is how the tree thing works between these three cities:

1. Savannah

2. Charleston

3. New Orleans

As Isawooty said, Savannah and Charleston blow New Orleans out of the water in the beauty department.

There is nowhere in New Orleans (or Charleston) that looks like this:
Quote:
Savannah does have blighted areas but so does Charleston.

In fact, all of Georgia's secondary metro areas have a high level of blight.

Savannah and Valdosta are the only two where the beauty outshines the bad.
Seriously.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:47 PM

409 posts, read 437,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Interesting thread...never been to new Orleans but with the crime rates and poverty levels can't imagine it being the ideal place to wanna live..visit possibly..live no.
Crime rates and poverty levels in Charleston and Savannah are comparable to those of New Orleans.

In fact, Savannah has the highest crime rate of the three.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:49 PM

409 posts, read 437,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The beaches in Charleston and Savannah are no better than NO. Have you ever seen? The sand is like mud, and the water is brown and murky. Yuk.
I don't think Charleston or Savannah are close to good beaches, but NOLA isn't close to any beaches, really (at least any ocean beaches) so I have to give that to Charleston and Savannah.

But overall I think NOLA kills Charleston and Savannah. The latter two are basically day-trip cities; NOLA is one of the most fascinating cities anywhere, IMO.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:10 PM

27,708 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
But overall I think NOLA kills Charleston and Savannah. The latter two are basically day-trip cities; NOLA is one of the most fascinating cities anywhere, IMO.
NOLA does win in terms of things to do, especially since it's also a huge convention destination, but it would actually take a few days to take in everything Charleston and Savannah offer.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:23 PM

715 posts, read 789,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Seriously.
So would you consider Columbus (not including Harris County), Augusta (Richmond County only) and even worse, Albany, beautiful?

Half of Columbus is the ghetto, Augusta is hella run down, and let's not even get started on Albany (which is a special case unto itself)

This isn't even on topic but I'm done talking about it. Clearly we see cities differently.

Tallahassee, Savannah, Charleston, Aiken, Rome, and Asheville, for example are pretty cities.

Valdosta has its blight too but to me Valdosta is pretty.

Thomasville, GA is way smaller than Valdosta but is beautiful beyond comparison, though the superiority attitudes of the residents there kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

No city is without bad areas, but if your bad areas look worse than your good areas look good, your city is not pretty in my eyes.

So yeah maybe some of you like a little mud in your water. Fine with me, but MY opinion of pretty ain't changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or