Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose your preferred city to live or visit.
Charleston 22 31.43%
New Orleans 25 35.71%
Savannah 23 32.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:12 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacao View Post
New Orleans. I'm trying to think of something highly impressive that the other two cities have and New Orleans doesn't. Nothing has came to me yet. Thinking, thinking....
Natural beauty. Lush landscapes. Very nice suburbs. Beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 09:23 PM

145 posts, read 200,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Natural beauty. Lush landscapes. Very nice suburbs. Beaches.
I remember seeing a few more trees in Charleston and Savannah but New Orleans is hardly barren. All three places have those historic oak trees and spanish moss. The north shore of Lake Pontchartrain is incredibly lush with very tall trees. So as far as natural beauty goes, I feel like it's a wash.

Suburbs I don't care about. I will give you the proximity to beaches.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:49 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,315 times
Quote:
I remember seeing a few more trees in Charleston and Savannah but New Orleans is hardly barren. All three places have those historic oak trees and spanish moss. The north shore of Lake Pontchartrain is incredibly lush with very tall trees. So as far as natural beauty goes, I feel like it's a wash.

Savannah and Charleston kill New Orleans in terms of natural beauty. No other cities in the whurl can out do those two for sheer beauty.

None.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:

"A few more trees ..." LOL!

This is how the tree thing works between these three cities:

1. Savannah

2. Charleston

3. New Orleans

As Isawooty said, Savannah and Charleston blow New Orleans out of the water in the beauty department.

There is nowhere in New Orleans (or Charleston) that looks like this:

Old 05-16-2014, 10:00 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
^^^ Ahhh.. Victory Drive in Savannah. Oh, how I miss you. I don't miss that stop and go traffic and the little hills I flew over at each intersection though. LOL (Newsboy, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think it's because NOLA, Charleston, and Savannah are all cut from similar cloths. A second trio might be St. Augustine, Mobile, and Galveston.
I actually thought about adding St. Augustine and Wilmington but decided against it because Charleston, New Orleans and Savannah seem to be in a different league compared to smaller Wilmington and Saint Augustine.

Both towns are gems in their own right though, don't get me wrong.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:24 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times
Quote:
"A few more trees ..." LOL!

This is how the tree thing works between these three cities:

1. Savannah

2. Charleston

3. New Orleans

As Isawooty said, Savannah and Charleston blow New Orleans out of the water in the beauty department.

Whats so unique about that picture? I'm pretty sure the other cities have lush tree lined streets too. But yeah Savannah and Charleston do seem to do better than New Orleans when it comes to the overall tree canopies. Plus they do have quicker access to better beaches than New Orleans does. But I don't really see what makes it such a blow out since all three cities (city limits) are pretty similar being flat coastal cities with Savannah and Charleston having some more trees. Actually Charleston is probably the overall best when it comes to natural beauty since it has the battery and views of the water which really sets it apart. So those cities do beat New Orleans when it comes to overall natural beauty (even though New Orleans still has plenty of neighborhoods that are just as lush) but I'd say New Orleans can hold its own when it comes to other "forms" of beauty (like architecture, neighborhoods, etc.).

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 05-16-2014 at 11:33 PM..

Old 05-16-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Whats so unique about that picture? I'm pretty sure the other cities have lush tree lined streets too. But yeah Savannah and Charleston do seem to do better than New Orleans when it comes to the overall tree canopies. Plus they do have quicker access to better beaches than New Orleans does. Charleston is probably the overall best when it comes to natural beauty since it has the battery and views of the water. So those cities do beat New Orleans when it comes to overall natural beauty (even though New Orleans still has plenty of neighborhoods that are just as lush) but I'd say New Orleans can hold its own when it comes to other "forms" of beauty (like architecture, neighborhoods, etc.).
If you'd ever driven down Victory Drive, you wouldn't be asking that question.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:45 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times
Quote:
If you'd ever driven down Victory Drive, you wouldn't be asking that question.
I have never driven down it but I did check out google street view (lol). It looks nice and lush and all but it just doesn't look all that amazing to where it is a form of natural beauty that separates it from the other cities and could not possibly exist in the other cities. I mean there are plenty of tree lined streets in New Orleans that are densely canopied with trees and I would imagine Charleston is the same. But maybe your right that a personal visit is needed to really take in the awe of all those trees lining the street. I'm thinking something more along the lines of this http://images.fineartamerica.com/ima...tin-k-ryan.jpg. That is some natural beauty that makes Charleston stand out.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 05-17-2014 at 12:09 AM..

Old 05-16-2014, 11:48 PM

409 posts, read 587,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Savannah and Charleston kill New Orleans in terms of natural beauty. No other cities in the whurl can out do those two for sheer beauty.

None.
I think New Orleans is more beautiful. Charleston and Savannah are beautiful too, but in very small geographies.

Overall, New Orleans wins, by a lot, IMO. All three are great but NOLA is more of a big city, while Charleston and Savannah don't have as much to offer.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:50 PM

409 posts, read 587,657 times
Quote:
Funny you claim this, as my friend (who lives in Old Metarie, a suburb of NOLA) lives in a neighborhood just like that.

NOLA area is very lush and green and filled with trees. I have never heard this claim that South Carolina and Georgia are somehow more lush. NOLA actually gets more rainfall than Charleston or Savannah, so it would be very difficult to argue it's less lush and green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City