U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most snobby
SF 31 51.67%
DC 12 20.00%
NYC 9 15.00%
Boston 8 13.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 09:24 AM

9,972 posts, read 14,029,761 times

Advertisements

I don't even find San Francisco truly that snobbish as a whole even with how gentrified it's become. The old money segment is there in parts--and they are snobbish, but not like in some East Coast areas; The new money thats flowed in is more annoying and sort of oblivious rather than that snobbish. It's a fairly casual city even today. It's not overall as class conscious as smaller little enclaves of wealth. Like a third of the city is middle-class and working class Asians who don't seem that snobbish.

That being said, most of my friends and family who used to live there all left San Francisco--due to high prices or just got tired of it or had kids and wanted a bigger space. The few I still know there are either fairly well-off or just barely making it--none of them seems very stuck-up though--they're all pretty mellow, laid back people.

Also, I'm not talking about the Bay Area as a whole or Silicon Valley when I say San Francisco--but I don't find most of those areas really that snobbish. There's a bit of cockiness in certain areas, people are ruder than much of the West Coast, but that's different.

Last edited by Deezus; 05-17-2014 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 09:28 AM

6,863 posts, read 7,723,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
You don't know many tech workers apparently. Tech workers are some of the most down to earth people you'll ever meet. That is because anyone in tech, and who is successful really is a geek and love technology. So people in tech see the money as more of a bonus. Tech workers aren't very status driven.

The same can't be said for government workers. I can't believe you could ever call a government worker less snobby than tech. You need to be very arrogant to have a career in government.

With that said, DC is the most arrogant, and snobby city on the list. Far and away more snobby than any city mentioned. SF has it's snobbery too, but DC is in another league.
What sector of tech geeks? I hope you aren't referring to the Silicon Valley types. I would agree with you if you're referring to your typical software engineer who works in industries outside of San Francisco, then I would agree. But Silicon Valley is its own bubble of snobbery. You can't deny that.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:36 AM

4,318 posts, read 4,837,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
What sector of tech geeks? I hope you aren't referring to the Silicon Valley types. I would agree with you if you're referring to your typical software engineer who works in industries outside of San Francisco, I would agree. But Silicon Valley is its own bubble of snobbery. You can't deny that.

I just came from Silicon Valley about a month ago. I found people in Silicon Valley to all be cool and down to earth. Most of the snobbery you'll see in the Bay Area are people who aren't technical but work AT tech companies. Just because someone gets on a Google bus, doesn't automatically make them an engineer. I have met some Sales and Marketing people at Apple, who were majorly arrogant. But the actual engineers were all nice people.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:42 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,506,180 times
Yea the tech workers are not the problem, it's the sales / marketing sectors at the tech companies that are a spitting image of Wall Street dooshers.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:58 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,721,989 times
The only place where I've been and haven't liked most of the people I came into contact with because of their personalities was Sydney but this was over 10 years ago and we only stayed in limited areas (albeit the most important places in the city).

For the intents and purposes of this thread, definitely Washington and San Francisco. They are on a whole different tier, if you can find the rare breed of "natives" in either one, you wont have any problems, but the type of transplants these places attract (I suppose myself included) all put together can be insufferable.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:19 PM

6,863 posts, read 7,723,075 times
Quote:
I just came from Silicon Valley about a month ago. I found people in Silicon Valley to all be cool and down to earth. Most of the snobbery you'll see in the Bay Area are people who aren't technical but work AT tech companies. Just because someone gets on a Google bus, doesn't automatically make them an engineer. I have met some Sales and Marketing people at Apple, who were majorly arrogant. But the actual engineers were all nice people.
What about this dude? "I was Michael Jordan. I took the last shot."

AccelerateOTT Fireside Chat with Chamath Palihapitiya and Jason Calacanis - YouTube

Old 05-18-2014, 01:28 PM

4,135 posts, read 5,951,632 times
Snobbery does not reside in big cities. The biggest snobs I've ever met are those from small towns in the Midwest and South. (And seen some posting on various city or state C-D threads too.) But they are REVERSE snobs. They love talking about how wholesome, clean, low-cost their cities/states are. They couldn't POSSIBLY understand how families raise kids in apartments and pity those who do. They think life wtihout a car is uncivilized and un American. They resent the influence of places like NYC, DC, and SF, without any understanding of why those cities are influential in the first place. They think that their hometowns are the REAL America and us coastal big-city dwellers are out of touch and living in our own bubbles with no understanding of them or anyone outside tha few favored zip codes.

You want real, true, and vitriolic snobbery, go to the so-called heartland. You'll find a lot more of it there and find it a lot more often, than you will in NYC, LA, San Fran, DC, Boston, etc.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:01 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,471 posts, read 3,006,603 times
Quote:
You don't know many tech workers apparently. Tech workers are some of the most down to earth people you'll ever meet. That is because anyone in tech, and who is successful really is a geek and love technology. So people in tech see the money as more of a bonus. Tech workers aren't very status driven.

The same can't be said for government workers. I can't believe you could ever call a government worker less snobby than tech. You need to be very arrogant to have a career in government.

With that said, DC is the most arrogant, and snobby city on the list. Far and away more snobby than any city mentioned. SF has it's snobbery too, but DC is in another league.
Everyone in SF is not a tech worker. Everyone in DC is not in government. Snobs are notorious for being rich folk, SF is more expensive than DC. DC has WAY more black folk (many with Southern roots) and more down to earth in that regard. Your argument is baseless and 100% opinionated. Sorry.

Oh yes and we're only arrogant because, no one on the corner has swagger like us.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:28 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,628,050 times
Sf by far. The people there are just horrible.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:11 PM

11,898 posts, read 9,630,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Snobbery does not reside in big cities. The biggest snobs I've ever met are those from small towns in the Midwest and South. (And seen some posting on various city or state C-D threads too.) But they are REVERSE snobs. They love talking about how wholesome, clean, low-cost their cities/states are. They couldn't POSSIBLY understand how families raise kids in apartments and pity those who do. They think life wtihout a car is uncivilized and un American. They resent the influence of places like NYC, DC, and SF, without any understanding of why those cities are influential in the first place. They think that their hometowns are the REAL America and us coastal big-city dwellers are out of touch and living in our own bubbles with no understanding of them or anyone outside tha few favored zip codes.

You want real, true, and vitriolic snobbery, go to the so-called heartland. You'll find a lot more of it there and find it a lot more often, than you will in NYC, LA, San Fran, DC, Boston, etc.
I chose SF but this is definitely interesting and something to think about. I agree, I have definitely come across people like those you describe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or