U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 03:55 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,872,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I bet that Macon has tons of potential, but it hasn't capitalized on it. It's not been remotely any kind of economic/jobs creator to be a "giant" etc and it's population growth is tepid at best. It doesn't seem to capitalize on being relatively close to Atlanta.
Because the growth is not in the actually city but North Macon suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 06:24 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,860,987 times
Quote:
I bet that Macon has tons of potential, but it hasn't capitalized on it. It's not been remotely any kind of economic/jobs creator to be a "giant" etc and it's population growth is tepid at best. It doesn't seem to capitalize on being relatively close to Atlanta.
That was because of inept, racially charged "leadership" on both sides. With the consolidation, things are turning around slowly. We're getting some new blood in there slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Since we're consolidated, North Macon is within the city limits now. Downtown, College Hill Corridor, and South Macon-Bibb bordering Byron/Warner Robins is coming along. Sadly, I can't say the same thing for the older parts of town. South Macon and West Macon are still the slums. East Macon isnt as bad people think, but still nothing gets built over this way but gas stations. Well, they're completing a Welcome Center for Fort Hawkins now, a Hardees is being constructed on Gray Highway, and they've made planned to turn an old abandoned school into a Senior apartment complex. So while that doesn't sound like much thats more than what had been going on. I think the city as a whole is going to be OK now.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
That was because of inept, racially charged "leadership" on both sides. With the consolidation, things are turning around slowly. We're getting some new blood in there slowly.

Since we're consolidated, North Macon is within the city limits now. Downtown, College Hill Corridor, and South Macon-Bibb bordering Byron/Warner Robins is coming along. Sadly, I can't say the same thing for the older parts of town. South Macon and West Macon are still the slums. East Macon isnt as bad people think, but still nothing gets built over this way but gas stations. Well, they're completing a Welcome Center for Fort Hawkins now, a Hardees is being constructed on Gray Highway, and they've made planned to turn an old abandoned school into a Senior apartment complex. So while that doesn't sound like much thats more than what had been going on. I think the city as a whole is going to be OK now.
Thats good.Its a reversal of the decline that had been.Modest gains are better than no gains.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:47 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,751,081 times
Quote:
I wasn't exclusively referring to the city.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:02 AM

Quote:
I wasn't exclusively referring to the city.
Well still if you look at its suburbs its not"tepid".
Jones and Monroe counties both grew 21%
Peach grew 17%

If you count Houston,it grew 26%.

Its obvious the city is loosing population to its suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or