U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 11:15 AM

320 posts, read 445,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
MS and AL by far. AR just doesn't seem to be on the radar as much either on the positive or negative side. Someone said the problem is that once you're outside of Little Rock, you're in Arkansas which is interesting because these days, it appears as though northwest AR is getting all the shine. AR isn't a one-trick pony in any case.
Nah. According to many people we marry our cousins. I've been hearing things like that since the 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 11:48 AM

2,825 posts, read 2,989,684 times
I've never heard anything negative about Arkansas. Mississippi, Alabama, and West Virginia? Yes, those three are always the butt of jokes. Some people even lump South Carolina into that category up here in North Carolina, I've heard before "They still accept Confederate money down there in SC!" With all due respect, Arkansas just seems like a state that you don't really have a reason to go to. You wouldn't go to Arkansas on vacation, not much there. However, I'm sure you can find some cool places in Arkansas, not trying to look down on that state. I'm sure the Ozarks are gorgeous!

Old 05-24-2014, 12:04 PM

27,752 posts, read 24,763,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I've never heard anything negative about Arkansas. Mississippi, Alabama, and West Virginia? Yes, those three are always the butt of jokes. Some people even lump South Carolina into that category up here in North Carolina, I've heard before "They still accept Confederate money down there in SC!" With all due respect, Arkansas just seems like a state that you don't really have a reason to go to. You wouldn't go to Arkansas on vacation, not much there. However, I'm sure you can find some cool places in Arkansas, not trying to look down on that state. I'm sure the Ozarks are gorgeous!
If you're close to the Appalachians, then there's not much need to go to the Ozarks. But I'm sure there are plenty people from nearby areas (LA, MO, OK, TX, MS, western TN, etc.) who visit the Ozarks.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:31 PM

145 posts, read 149,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If you're close to the Appalachians, then there's not much need to go to the Ozarks. But I'm sure there are plenty people from nearby areas (LA, MO, OK, TX, MS, western TN, etc.) who visit the Ozarks.
I cannot say I grasp the attitudes of today which say that certain mountains are not worth visiting simply because they are not as tall as mountains in the other direction. Why cannot a place be enjoyed and appreciated on its own merit? I would never tell anyone that there is no real need to go to the Appalachians when they can just go to the Rocky Mountains. All of these places are their own unique locales with their own histories and cultures that can be enjoyed along with the mountains themselves.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:50 PM

27,752 posts, read 24,763,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacao View Post
I cannot say I grasp the attitudes of today which say that certain mountains are not worth visiting simply because they are not as tall as mountains in the other direction. Why cannot a place be enjoyed and appreciated on its own merit? I would never tell anyone that there is no real need to go to the Appalachians when they can just go to the Rocky Mountains. All of these places are their own unique locales with their own histories and cultures that can be enjoyed along with the mountains themselves.
This is true and I'm not saying that the Ozarks aren't worth visiting, but from a practical perspective, you're just not going to see many people that live in close proximity to the Appalachians visit the Ozarks, especially when the geography, terrain, and culture isn't going to be drastically different (I'm speaking specifically of the Southern Applachian region). The Rockies and Appalachians/Ozarks are completely different in this regard than the Appalachians and the Ozarks.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:22 PM

11,829 posts, read 9,832,853 times
I have travelled throughout VA and NC and would love to do the same in Arkansas, Tennessee and Kentucky, but as far as to live:

NC
VA
TN
KY
AR

Old 06-03-2014, 02:08 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,221,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
It's sad that people don't give Arkansas (and other states) a chance. It's such a nice state. I really think people just rely on what they see the media portrays of certain states. Hmm, I guess no one would believe that in West Little Rock, AR there are tons of nice neighborhoods that can easily compete with any nice neighborhood that you can find anywhere in America. It's the same thing as what you will find in suburban Wash DC, Charlotte, Chicago, etc.

Media has brainwashed too many people's brains......
It's just that if nothing is everyheard about an area there is nothing to shape individuals mental perceptions of a place. Montana is a very lovely place I'm sure but because nothing of note happens of note there it is completely off the radar for most folks. The following states are precisely the same way. Kentucky, Arkansas, Delaware, Rhode Island and several others. Utah is another but because Salt Lake city has a notable reputation people have something to form a thought around.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:03 AM

1,443 posts, read 846,948 times
Physically I think the Commonwealth of VA & state of North Carolina have a lifestyle advantage, bcuz they offer the diversity of mountain or beach living (over KY, TN, & Arkansas).

I love Virginia, so it's gonna be @ the top of my 'to live' list for a range of reasons.. I also think it's a good tourist spot, again bcuz of beaches in the east & mountains in the west. But also for it's variety of historical attractions.. Colonial, Revolutionary & Civil War.. Understood, other upper-South states have deep histories as well, but none have the maintained physical link to the Civil War that VA does. I like the eastern panhandle of WVA a lot, can I throw that in an 'Upper South' mix (?)

I'm curious to hear how native Tennesseans rank/characterize their state.. I wanna learn more (?)

Old 06-12-2014, 12:26 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,786,979 times
With the exception of KY and VA none of the other states are "Upper" South.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:34 PM

5,419 posts, read 8,207,294 times
I like TN just fine. I realize NC has a lot going for it but unless you are willing and able to pay the premium for living in Asheville, TN has bigger and more diverse cities close to the mountains. Winston Salem has a big MSA but does it feel that big?

I'm not sure what's behind Nashville's sudden surge to hipness but there's no denying it. So you have a great economy, better weather than TX, and a great airport. It may just be a function of hipsters flocking to the next big thing and now Nashville is big enough and hip enough to achieve critical mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or