Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 02:53 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I like TN just fine. I realize NC has a lot going for it but unless you are willing and able to pay the premium for living in Asheville, TN has bigger and more diverse cities close to the mountains. Winston Salem has a big MSA but does it feel that big?

I'm not sure what's behind Nashville's sudden surge to hipness but there's no denying it. So you have a great economy, better weather than TX, and a great airport. It may just be a function of hipsters flocking to the next big thing and now Nashville is big enough and hip enough to achieve critical mass.
Because W-S isn't that big. Its a decent size. Charlotte is big and next is Raleigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 08:59 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I like TN just fine. I realize NC has a lot going for it but unless you are willing and able to pay the premium for living in Asheville, TN has bigger and more diverse cities close to the mountains. Winston Salem has a big MSA but does it feel that big?
I think you mean Winston-Salem has a big CSA (1.6 million) and that's because it includes another similarly-sized city. Its MSA is 650K, larger than Chattanooga's but not quite as large as Knoxville's.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:14 PM

244 posts, read 361,918 times
Do the major cities in Tennessee still have crime issues?

Old 06-14-2014, 07:08 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Memphis definitely has crime issues. Not so much in Nashville. I've noticed in Knoxville that the vast majority of violent crime and much of the property crime is between people who know each other.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:02 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent by design View Post
Do the major cities in Tennessee still have crime issues?
Yes, unfortunately. Nashville and Memphis are always included in the top of the most dangerous city lists. In Nashville the crime is usually isolated to particular areas such as Antioch, North and East Nashville. In Memphis, the crime is more rampant and across several parts of the city. The good news is that violent crime is down significantly in both cities in the past several years, and that you should make a visit to both to make up your mind about each.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:56 PM

6,419 posts, read 1,427,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Living in Northern Virginia is pretty much exactly like living in Maryland:

High cost of living and mind-numbing traffic during rush hour, but at the same time access to great schools, amenities, high-paying jobs and of course good ole' Washington, D.C.

Outside of Northern Virginia, Virginia is a completely different state.

I agree with this 100%. Southeastern va/nc is a great area to live.

My rankings are as follows:

Live:

1. Virginia
2. North Carollina
3. Tennessee
4. Kentucky
5. Arkansas

Travel:

1. North Carolina
2. Virginia
3. Tennessee
4. Kentucky
5. Arkansas

I would prefer to live in (southeastern) Virginia and travel to North Carolina.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:00 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
The rankings suggest that the further a state is from an ocean, the less desirable it is.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:46 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
This is quite a tough one for me. All of the sates are fine. The unfortunate thing for Arkansas just happens to be the competition of this thread. I'm sure it is a nice state.

Live:
NC
VA/KY/TN
AR

Visit
VA/NC
KY/TN
AR

This was actually a reay tough decision. I'm beginning to like KY more. Louisville and Lexington are quite nice cities and the terrain of KY I find to be attractive. I'm quite familiar with NC, TN, and VA. The bad thing for TN is that it is SEC country so it automatically loses in my book.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:54 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,858 times
Live:
NC
VA
TN
KY
AR

Visit:
NC
VA
TN
KY
AR

Old 11-25-2014, 01:30 AM

374 posts, read 812,189 times
I'm not sure if Arkansas is a true upper south state. We are completely south of Kentucky and Virginia as well as most of Tennessee and NC. We border Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. I think at least half of Arkansas qualifies as Deep South, which probably explains why we are stuck in last place on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City