U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 08:09 AM

602 posts, read 554,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Physically I think the Commonwealth of VA & state of North Carolina have a lifestyle advantage, bcuz they offer the diversity of mountain or beach living (over KY, TN, & Arkansas).

I love Virginia, so it's gonna be @ the top of my 'to live' list for a range of reasons.. I also think it's a good tourist spot, again bcuz of beaches in the east & mountains in the west. But also for it's variety of historical attractions.. Colonial, Revolutionary & Civil War.. Understood, other upper-South states have deep histories as well, but none have the maintained physical link to the Civil War that VA does. I like the eastern panhandle of WVA a lot, can I throw that in an 'Upper South' mix (?)

I'm curious to hear how native Tennesseans rank/characterize their state.. I wanna learn more (?)

I'm From Tennessee

1 Virginia ( I'll take Washington DC/Northern Virginia over any Tennessee City)

2 Tennessee (I'll Take Nashville over any North Carolina City plus Tennessee's has a good mix of Natural Beauty Quaint Medium and Large sized Cities)

3 North Carolina (Charlotte and Raleigh are just ok,....But North Carolina does have Natural Beauty and Beaches!)

4 Kentucky (The Louisville, Frankfort (state capital), Lexington corridor is underrated. these cities are all less than 2 hours from each other. Providing a good urban cluster but most people don't pay enough attention to Kentucky to know that.

5 Arkansas (Arkansas does have a few things. Little Rock is a decent city and has a Impressive Skyline and nice downtown for it's size, and the Clinton Presidential Library, and contrary to what a earlier poster said some people Do actually visit Arkansas for vacation ...ever heard of Hot Springs Arkansas and also Magic Mountain Theme Park, Now granted most of these people are from surrounding states,..I can't Imagine someone from New Jersey or Washington State coming way to Arkansas for vacation but the point is that some people do actually visit the state,. And plus Let's not forget Arkansas is the World HQ of the Wal Mart Corporation

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 11-25-2014 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 11:28 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,722,085 times
Live:

Virginia/North Carolina
Tennessee
Arkansas/Kentucky

Old 11-25-2014, 03:41 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,173,276 times
Live:
North Carolina
Virginia
Tennessee
Arkansas
Kentucky

Visit
Tenn: Nashville and mtns
North Carolina: Outer Banks and Mtns/Asheville
Virginia: Alexandria and Mtns (if DC counted, this would move to #1)
Kentucky: Louisville and bourbon trail
Arkansas: Little Rock and mtns

Old 11-25-2014, 03:46 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,588,332 times
TN is the best upper south state by far.. then NC and VA.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:34 PM

620 posts, read 912,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Yes, unfortunately. Nashville and Memphis are always included in the top of the most dangerous city lists. In Nashville the crime is usually isolated to particular areas such as Antioch, North and East Nashville. In Memphis, the crime is more rampant and across several parts of the city. The good news is that violent crime is down significantly in both cities in the past several years, and that you should make a visit to both to make up your mind about each.
Take Antioch off the list. Replace it with South Nashville, which borders Antioch and is commonly mistaken for Antioch. And South Nashville is not as bad as East, and especially North Nashville-with the exception of the JC Napier public housing development. But, JC is practically downtown and is not what people think about when they think of South Nashville/Antioch. It is like 20 miles North of this area.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:44 AM

27,719 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
TN is my favorite upper south state by far.. then NC and VA.
There...fixed that for you.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:09 PM

4,270 posts, read 3,333,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
Take Antioch off the list. Replace it with South Nashville, which borders Antioch and is commonly mistaken for Antioch. And South Nashville is not as bad as East, and especially North Nashville-with the exception of the JC Napier public housing development. But, JC is practically downtown and is not what people think about when they think of South Nashville/Antioch. It is like 20 miles North of this area.
Antioch is bad which is why the mall and several businesses are now boarded up. Until the crime is under control and the higher income demographics come back into the area, I don't see this changing.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:53 AM

620 posts, read 912,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Antioch is bad which is why the mall and several businesses are now boarded up. Until the crime is under control and the higher income demographics come back into the area, I don't see this changing.
Dam I had a lot to say on this topic but my computer crashed writing this essay. Some key points.

- crime is lower than north and east Nashville
- it is the fastest growing part of Nashville, accounting for up to 25% of the city's growth this last decade
- Nashvillians are not used to racial diversity, so they feel uncomfortable in Antioch
- whites are still the largest group in Antioch (47%)
- the bad parts of South Nashville are associated with Antioch, but it is not Antioch
- Nashville state satellite campus has moved into the global mall, a new library (the most modern and high tech in Nashville), and an ice hockey rink sponsored by the Nashville Predators have all moved in to the mall

- 300 acres of development planned

New 300-acre development planned for Antioch - WSMV Channel 4

Antioch is simply a suburb that has experienced a demographically change. It does have a lot of crime for a suburb, but the bad parts of Nashville are much worse.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:39 PM

182 posts, read 121,972 times
Live:
North Carolina
Tennessee
Virginia
Kentucky
Arkansas

Visit:
Tennessee (All 4 major TN cities are tourist destinations and are unique, plus smoky mountains)
Virginia (Richmond is a great city with lots of history, also moutains and ocean)
North Carolina (I find NC large cities pretty generic, but they got the ocean and asheville...)
Arkansas/Kentucky

Old 01-20-2017, 06:47 PM

10 posts, read 3,648 times
Live:

1. Tennessee (no income tax is VERY nice).
2. Virginia (NoVa is nice if you like more urban settings)
3. North Carolina
4. Kentucky
5. Arkansas

Travel:

1. North Carolina (Beach, smokies, cities)
2. Tennessee
3. Virginia
4. Kentucky
5. Arkansas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or